“Baia Grande” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Sesmarias
Abergavenny, United Kingdom
“Baia Grande”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2014

Although the best part of a kilometre from the sea, the position and orientation of the hotel is such that a large number of the rooms enjoy a nice 'sea-view' from their balconies. There is a small beach which (directions needed from the reception staff!) is a 10 minutes walk. On either side of the beach there are cliff walks with an abundance of wild flowers and birdlife. In places, the path goes right to the edge of the cliff, so the walker should turn back or proceed with care! Bedroom, bar-lounge and restaurant were all spotlessly clean and comfortable.. There is also a lounge on the top floor which nobody was using at the time of our stay. Nor was the pool being used, although the warm weather was enticing a few people out to the pool-side areas. The food was very good and restaurant staff friendly and efficient. Staff were excellent in all departments, putting up valiantly with my attempts to converse in Portuguese. The shuttle into Albufeira stops at a point from where it is a 5 - 10 minute easy walk down into the heart of the town. There is a car hire office on the right as you go down (and indeed one in the hotel) in case you want to drive to places like Lagos, Sagres, Alte and Silves.

Room Tip: Top floor 'sea-view' has the best aspect.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
6 Thank John Roderick W
Paulo D, Manager at Baia Grande, responded to this review, April 27, 2014
Dear Guest,,
Thank you very much for your visit to Baia Grande and for your review.
I am glad that you enjoyed your time with us. Thank you very much for your praise to our staff and service.
I hope to have the pleasure to receive you again at Baia Grande
+351289583500

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (263)
  • Polish first
Cleckheaton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2014

If you like to have your holidays alone do not be put off this hotel by one bad review, read the excellent and very good ones as well and then decide. Remember a long rambling review can often say more about the reviewers discontent with life than the actual hotel.
I have stayed here many times by myself and have never had a problem. If something is not right for you the staff will do everything possible to rectify it.
Another holiday ended but it will not be my last one spent at this lovely hotel staffed by wonderful,caring people.

Room Tip: Watch the sunrise from a room with sea/pool view
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
4 Thank Barbara A
Paulo D, Manager at Baia Grande, responded to this review, April 19, 2014
Dear Guest,,
Thank you very much for your review and for you continuous loyalty to Baia Grande..
I hope to have the pleasure to receive you for many years at Baia Grande
swinton manchester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2014

Les Parker

Question 1 (a) do you want to stay in a large impersonal tower block or (b) a friendly low rise family owned hotel

Question 2 (a) do you want to sit on a balcony looking at another high rise hotel or (b) look out onto open space, trees and sea beyond

Question 3 (a) do you want to have a bar on every corner and accompanying noise or (b) a quite relaxing holiday with the old town less than 2 miles away

If the answer is b then this is the hotel for you very clean, good food and little noise.

we were with a group of 11 the majority of which tend to meet up for a months winter holiday in Jan/ Feb and this was our second time at this hotel the first being the previous year,and found to be excellent again, for a better idea of this hotel read the other excellent and very good reports about this hotel every one cannot be wrong in their assessment.

It is a little unfair to not name every body for making the holiday as good as it was but Anna the maid did an excellent job of cleaning the room always had a smile , Dora on reception who had a smile to brighten up the dullest day and finally Paulo the hotel manager who tried to make every body welcome and resolve any problems and questions ( not many and in general were not any thing to do with the hotel ) and most cases was successful. You cannot please all of the people all the time some people will find fault with the best hotel in the world .Hope to be back next year

Room Tip: pool view if possible
3 Thank l_parker77
Paulo D, Manager at Baia Grande, responded to this review, April 19, 2014
Dear Client,
Thank you very much for returning to Baía Grande and for your review.
I am very happy that you and your group of friends had a good time with us. We are always available to solve any issue that may arise and improve our clients experience with us.
Thank you very much for you compliments to our staff, they are our best asset.
I hope to have the pleasure to receive you next year at Baia Grande
Talke, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2014

I spent one month at this brilliant hotel, from Jan-Feb 2014. The staff were most welcoming, helpful and very friendly. It was my birthday while we were there and they went out of their way to ensure that I had a lovely evening.

I cannot recommend this hotel highly enough. I will be going back at the same time next year!

2 Thank Ten_Downing
Paulo D, Manager at Baia Grande, responded to this review, April 18, 2014
Dear Client,
Thank you very much for your recent visit to Baia Grande and for your kind words on your post.
I am glad that we were able to have a positive impact on your birthday. It is a honor for us that you choose to spend you birthday at Baia Grande.
I hope to have the pleasure to receive again at Baía Grande
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2014

I would definitely recommend this hotel - the standard of the rooms and food is excellent. The beds were very comfortable and the room was spacious (including plenty of wardrobe space). The food was delicious with a very good selection (we went on half-board basis). Previous reviewers had recommended contacting the hotel to ask for a sea view room, which I did, and we were given a room overlooking the pool and we had a sea view (at no extra charge). All the rooms have a nice size balcony. The bathroom had an over-bath-shower - clean, very efficient and plenty of hot water.
There's a very nice indoor pool but it was too cold for us to use. The jacuzzi was only just warm - the temperature is what I would have liked the swimming pool to have been. The sauna was fine (you have to ask them to turn it on 30 mins before you want to use it). Pay a refundable deposit for a towel for the pool/sauna. Take a swimming hat or be prepared to buy one (3 euros).
It's advisable/recommended NOT to drink the tap water. To buy bottled water from the supermarket in the town is very cheap.
You can walk to the beautiful beach of Praia da Coelha - 10 minute walk. The rolling waves were amazing to watch. It looks like there's a strong current and there are rocks in parts when the tide is low. There's also "Gale" beach - beautiful - within easy walking distance (along the road). We walked along the cliff top back which was a bit "hairy" in places as some parts of the pathways are very narrow and close to steep drops - had to clamber up some steep rocks but the stunning views are worth the effort. Definitely not a cliff top walk recommended for children (there are no fences) or anyone not used to walking any distance.
On the way to the nearby beach, you pass "Portuguese House", where you can get a relaxing massage - cheaper than the hotel (nowhere near as plush as the hotel but it's clean and the masseur was very pleasant).
The free shuttle bus to the old town was useful (it also goes to Gale beach). The only downside for us was that there wasn't enough for us to do in the old town - plenty of bars but not much else in late January.
The reception staff were friendly but it would be helpful if there was information about local buses and general information about the surrounding areas if you want to venture out of the old town using public transport. The Information Centre in the old town wasn't particularly good (However, we're used to such a good service in the UK as we have such excellent Information Centres).
Despite the "niggles" I've mentioned above - which are for information purposes only - don't be put off - it's a great hotel. Enjoy!

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view room prior to travel - they don't charge extra.
4 Thank ChristineUK001
Paulo D, Manager at Baia Grande, responded to this review, April 18, 2014
Dear Client,
Thank you very much for your recent visit to Baia Grande and for review.
I am very happy that you enjoyed you stay with us.
I hope to have the pleasure to receive again at Baía Grande
Derbyshire, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2014

This hotel looks attractive and is certainly superbly located for the sea views. It is ideal for those wanting a quiet break, as well as ramblers. As other reviewers have noted, the food is very good. Nevertheless, I was sufficiently badly treated I was obliged to cut short my stay at the Hotel Baia Grande.

When it comes to disabled guests, a lot of the attractiveness turns out to be illusory. Take the existence of a ramp leading to and from the indoor pool. Naturally, as a disabled person, I was happy until discovering that concrete water-filled troughs within the changing rooms block it off. So although I had planned on swimming every day it wasn’t feasible because the indoor pool is other than easily accessible.

When I enquired, one of the Receptionists told me I must walk right round the outside of the hotel to reach the sun terrace and outdoor pool. A group with a disabled member (who fared better than I by virtue of being accompanied by friends who could help her) investigated and found there is a door to an outside ramp – but it is kept locked. The hotel car park boasts a disabled parking space and there is a wheelchair motif sticker on the entrance door that in the UK signifies accessibility but half the hotel is literally inaccessible whilst pretending otherwise via ramps that cannot be used.

I gritted my teeth and bore the situation until an instance of direct discrimination proved the final straw. The package was meant to include free Wi-fi in the lobby, the problem for me being there was only one place where I could sit in comfort, close to a door which, if open, placed me in a freezing draft. I can shiver at the computer at home and do not pay to take a holiday where I find myself needing to retire to my room, getting under the bedclothes to warm, up happened on 21st January. The Manager point-blank refused to have the door closed, stating that the meeting in question only happened once a week. This wasn’t even true, there having been an event on the 18th or 19th requiring said door to remain open.

It is the case that the part of the hotel used for such meetings can be accessed from the outside. Observation led me to conclude that the door was to be kept open because the hotel wants participants in these meetings to use the bar. The owners must bolster profits from bar takings but as they do not force anyone to buy drinks from the bar – or in the restaurant – that is their concern. (Nevertheless, it is worth mentioning that the prices are exorbitant, e.g. 5 euros for a glass of wine and 8 for a beer, when one can buy plonk from supermarkets in Albufeira (which as well as Alisuper include Aldi and Lidl) for under 3 euros and eight cans of beer for what the hotel charges for one.)

What was very much my concern was the denial of Wi-fi, particularly given the denial of so many other amenities for which I had booked and paid. I could have been provided with Wi-fi in my room for the duration of the meeting; instead, the manager acted to dismiss my needs by reference to the frequency of meetings. This despite having provided me with a ‘Welcome’ letter stating, “Our team is always present and motivated to anticipate and meet your needs.” Not when you have needs as a disabled person they’re not. In fairness, the majority of the staff were pleasant and friendly but I didn’t get the impression the management are any too keen on disabled guests. They have told Mercury Direct that they don’t cater for such guests, but the reason supplied – namely that the location of the hotel makes it unsuitable – is stuff and nonsense, as I trust anyone reading this will appreciate. Apart from anything else, the hotel runs a courtesy bus that considerably reduces any difficulties with its location.

As for the room, there is no safety rail in the shower and to take a shower does require climbing into a low bath but a bathmat is provided. I found the flashing light from the air conditioning apparatus problematic (and for anyone with epilepsy or severe migraine it could be more than merely a nuisance). I stopped the flashing at night by removing the key card from its slot by the door, although that of course meant I couldn’t use the lights. All things considered, if you are more than minimally disabled do not go to this dishonest and unwelcoming hotel, especially if you are travelling solo.

To an extent, I was able to console myself by enjoying my meals, but even that privilege had to be fought for. I happened to be sitting across from a couple who decided to spend their meal times discussing me, largely in connection with what I was eating. For instance, the woman asked her husband (or he might have been her son), “What’s she staring at?” He told her, “She’s looking at the telly – at the food.” (The restaurant boasts wall-mounted tv sets displaying moving images of food.) To this his female companion responded, “Hasn’t she got enough food!” Being the subject of their snide comments made me most uncomfortable but it was following an incident when the man raised his backside from his chair at the table beside mine and broke wind – which occurrence I could see, hear and smell – that I decided I should move. This in itself caused further upset, given I chose a table another couple had bagged as theirs, despite the fact there are not supposed to be any reserved tables. The next night the male of the couple barged past me, knocking into me as he did so, in order to grab ‘their’ table. I don’t tolerate bullying, so I kicked up a fuss. As I doubt the harassment to which I was subjected would have occurred if I’d had someone with me, again my advice is to think hard before booking the Baia Grande if you are on your own. To be fair, I was fine once I’d moved to another part of the restaurant, as most of my fellow guests were in fact lovely, or at least not ill-mannered.

The Windsor rep and staff at Portugal’s Windsor office were smashing. They organised my flight home, including sorting out ‘disability’ requirements, with kindness, sympathy and efficiency.

Room Tip: In January, rooms to the left of Reception when looking towards the bar get whatever sun there is fo...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
11 Thank Soggy_Moggy
Paulo D, Manager at Baia Grande, responded to this review, February 19, 2014
Dear Client,
Thank you very much for your recent visit to Baia Grande and for your post.
I am very sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us.
I am sorry that during your stay you never approached me with any concern as the ones you state on this forum. I remember quite well that during you stay I greet you very single day and never once you made any comment about your stay at Baia Grande. The same goes for our Reception team.
I am sorry that your comments reflect so many misunderstandings about our service, namely about the prices of the drinks in the bar, internet issues, meetings dates and others.
I am also sorry that you treat such delicate matters such as discrimination and security in such a light way. We do not, because we take them very seriously at Baia Grande.
I can guarantee you that we do not discriminate our clients and that we welcome all of them in the same way.
Kind regards
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2014

We had arrived in the Algarve on New Years Eve and after a week at our first hotel - we arrived at the Baia Grande the second week in January. We were greated by very pleasant and helpful reception staff and were pleased with the room we had been allocated. I had sent an e-mail requesting a sea view room and we had been given a large corner room with a lovely view of the pool and sea. The room was large, bright and very clean and well equipped including a flat screen TV. The only improvement would have been tea and coffee making facilities - these could be purchased at the bar however.

The hotel is in a very residential area, so was quiet at this time of year, we did however have a car so drove into Albufeira and Gale. There was also a shuttle service to the local beach and into Albufeira which the hotel provided free of charge. There is a lovely beach which we walked to called rabbit beach and also some lovely cliff top walks in the area so plenty to do.

The hotel was very quiet and relaxing due to it being January, but there was still entertainment in the piano bar 3 times during the week. The food in the restaurant was very enjoyable - something to suit most tastes and the staff and service was excellent. There is a reading room / sun deck on the top floor of the hotel which was most welcome as the weather was not always warm enough to enjoy the pool area.

A very relaxing and well run hotel and one which we would definitely return to in the future.

Room Tip: Up grade to a sea view room - much sunnier and pleasant
3 Thank JanetLS17
Paulo D, Manager at Baia Grande, responded to this review, January 31, 2014
Dear Client,
Thank you very much for your recent visit to Baia Grande and for your post.
I am glad that you enjoyed you time with us and had the sea view room you requested.
Thank you very much for you comments about our service and staff.
I hope to see you again at Baia Grande.
Kind regards
manager.bg@baiaalgarve.com
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sesmarias
Falesia Hotel
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,050 reviews
Natura Algarve Club
Natura Algarve Club
#25 of 162 in Albufeira

Been to Baia Grande? Share your experiences!