“Beyond Exceptional In Every Way!”

The Marriott Ranch Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 2 Hume B&B and Inns
Lititz, Pennsylvania, United States
“Beyond Exceptional In Every Way!”
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Just returned home after enjoying the Western Vacation experience and I can honestly say that it exceeded my expectations. The surroundings are breathtaking and the accommodations are wonderful and comfortable. Meals are unbelievable - they were able to personalize meal selections with very little notice and each meal was generous and flavorful ... and amazing! Kelley was a gracious host and customized our experience so that everyone enjoyed themselves. Horseback rides were well organized and the wranglers took care of everyone. The Jeep tour was great fun, as was the skeet shooting. I can't wait to return!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed June 7, 2013 via mobile

My now husband and I selected the Marriott Ranch for our wedding location in September of 2012 and got married on June 1, 2013. After looking at nearly a dozen other locations, we knew we had found the right spot for our wedding the moment we drove through the picturesque gates of the Ranch. The Black Angus cows even came out to greet us.

The location was breathtaking - the rolling hills in the background set the scene for gorgeous photos, the elegant and simple manor house and carriage house rooms presented lovely accommodations for our immediate family, and the staff was phenomenal. Louise helped coordinate our wedding and she was great both the weekend of as well as planning leading up to the wedding.

The new pavilion is wonderful - the gabled roof and trellises add elegant charm to the rustic pavilion. Many of our guests enjoyed a leisurely drink under the trellis after dinner and it was perfect.

The food was terrific. The chef prepared each meal for our guests and all were delicious. The tasting was wonderful and the chef even made many amendments to the menu to meet our desires and requests for the menu - most wedding venues won't do that. The staff at the Marriott Ranch was always looking for ways to make our experience better.

The accommodations were wonderful and the fact that our immediate family could stay on site was super helpful all weekend.

We had our rehearsal dinner at Western Town on the property and it was really fun. We live in dc and neither of us are "western" but We played up the kitchy nature of the location and made it work. The BBQ food prepared by the Ranch was delicious. We hired a square dance caller for the rehearsal dinner (recommended by Louise) and it totally made the night. All of our friends had a great time and we were thrilled.

We used the Manor House for the after party. We hired a piano man to sing, take requests and rock with our guests until the wee hours of the night. Many of our guests said it was the most fun wedding they've ever been to.

The pictures on the Ranch's website don't so it justice. Go and take a look for yourself - its stunning in person - and you'll immediately get a sense of the location and the staff. It was absolutely the right location for us and I would absolutely select this location again for an event and highly recommend it to my friends.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Egg2011
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed May 7, 2013

This lovely ranch is not for those who want perfect, modern, shiny and everything that goes with that.
Rather you get a lovely historic home that is steeped in history, is surrounded by rolling hills and picturesque views, comfortable not austentatious. I would say old money vs. new. Sure, one could make it a show piece...or you could value the setting, the food, the fact that you are just an hour from DC.

Our stay was wonderful...we enjoyed the fact that it was comfortable. The Yates room is noisy...no argument there...however, not so much that I would not go back. My party thought the food was wonderful.

Staff was perfect. Never wanted for anything.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank beenthereseenitall
Virginia Beach
Reviewed April 20, 2013

Yesterday we had an opportunity to stay at the Marriott Ranch in Hume Va. As we drove up the drive way it is nothing but open area, cows, and the beautiful home. We booked a room and were upgraded due to limited occupancy. We checked in a met Brett who is one of the nicest folks we have ever met. She is genuine, kind, committed, and hard working. We chose to stay in a room in the Inn. To put it into perspective, it is a 1814 circa home purchase by the Marriott family in 1951. The Inn has 7 rooms and the smoke house has 4 rooms. The working farm consists of 4,200 acres in northern Virginia. J.W. Marriott passed away there. Up until just recently it was not pen to the public.
The room was incredible. It had 14' ceilings, was very large and clean. The walls are thick, made of brick and covered in plaster. What I am trying to say it is very quiet.
We enjoyed a fantastic 4 course meal. There was fresh fruit, home made breads, fresh orange juice, pancakes, and meat. They were all cooked to perfection by Chas who has been there since 2000.
I could go on and on but the bottom line is it is a great deal, fantastic service, and great food. I call it unbelievable because it was.

Room Tip: Stayed in the Yates room
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank RCCKKC
Brisbane
Reviewed April 2, 2013

I am not sure if I expected too much or what but it was definitely far from the standard I expected for the name. My previous B&B stay was in Salem with one of the little inns and it was great, so I expected at least a similar standard.
My main concern was absence of private bath, I am not used to use communal amenities in hotels. The room was large and freezing cold for me.
There is also no internet connection that you can use. I get it that it is for people to relax but not everyone has the luxury to be completely out of touch with the world.
And finally, food... Well, I have to say it was well cooked, nothing wrong with it but then I am a foodie and this was not what I would enjoy. Food was traditional but spices used were sometimes overpowering the rest of the ingredients.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Agnes L
Kelley M, Manager at The Marriott Ranch Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, August 11, 2014
Thank your for staying at Marriott Ranch and for the comments you provided. In response to the statement regarding "absence of private bath", each of our seven guest rooms has its own private bathroom. I'm not sure why the writer thought otherwise.

As for lack of internet, we have internet access in public spaces but not necessarily in all of the guest rooms.
Norfolk, Virginia
Reviewed March 22, 2013

This was a very unique experience. Great place to get away for the weekend and get outdoors.

It's a working ranch and B&B. Everyone that we met here was pleasant and very informed on the area. I recommend going up the road to the next town that has a few cool little pubs.

I really enjoyed the horseback rides which are right down the road. It was a lot of fun and the guides were very nice and accommodating.

In the afternoon, we were provided wine and cheese, so we took it back to our room and chilled out. It was super relaxing.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ffej84
U.S.
Reviewed September 23, 2012

I believe the management at the Marriott Ranch genuinely wants to make the property into a place where all guests would enjoy the stay. The manager phoned me after I had expressed unhappiness to the staff upon checkout regarding the services provided at the B&B, which was a much appreciated gesture since I didn't request be contacted nor did I expect it.

First, the positives. The Marriott Ranch is located on a huge working ranch of beautiful rolling hills, surrounded by wineries and abundant natural charm. The historical house that the B&B is located in is very nice. The bedrooms are big, airy, with high ceilings and plenty of colonial style. It has all the promise of a great property for relaxing weekend stays, weddings, and a base for tours of the Virginian wineries.

It has promise, but it falls short in many ways. The Marriott name seems just that, a name. The corporation has not instilled in the running of the property its hotel management expertise. The service provided at the B&B is therefore wanting in that there is minimal staff--one person was on property when we arrived. There was no greeting, no one to ask directions when we drove onto the property, no one to open the door to the neglected looking front porch, and no one was in the foyer when we walked in. When the lone staff finally emerged after a while, it was only to tell us that our rooms were not ready and we'll need to wander for a few hours on our own.

If the property will not have the Marriott-style hotel service, then it also falls short in the unique attentions associated with B&B properties. While the room I had was beautiful, the bathroom was so small that I had to sit sideways on the toilet or my shoulder would bump up against the wash basin. The shower curtain smelled of mildew and the tiles inside the shower stall were lined with brown stains that I hesitated stepping in. Despite a pretty dining room, the Marriott Ranch is not making full use of it as only breakfast is served on the property. Breakfast is chef's choice, which is really a lazy way of saying that the chef only knows how to cook a small set of things, consisting of hard biscuits, overly salty grits, and so so bacon and fried egg. I requested that grits be on the side rather than poured over my biscuit, but the staff served it poured over the biscuit anyway, saying that the chef forgot her request. I really had to bite my tongue and not say "how about you remind him and ask him to serve it on the side?" In any case, I felt bad wasting the food, as it was so salty that it was inedible to me.

For lunch and dinner, we were completely on our own, and since there is no grocery store nearby, you really need a car to driver to the nearby towns. We went out to dinner in pouring rain, driving through 20 minutes of dark, unfamiliar country roads with almost zero visibility it was raining so hard. Obviously, the weather is not the B&B's fault, but coming back to the house, not having a single staff on the property was problematic (no staff is on property after 6 pm, apparently, and for emergencies, we were given a list of phone numbers. The first person on the list was away at the beach that weekend). We were completely soaked through by the time we ran from the parking lot into the house. No one was there to lend an umbrella. There was no way to request extra towels to dry off. I couldn't find any place to adjust the air conditioning, so had no choice but to dive under the comforter shivering. It was a pretty miserable evening.

The next morning, when we checked out, I discovered that since I had called to make the reservation for two rooms for my friend and me, I was charged for both rooms. I made what I thought would be a routine request to separate the bills, but the staff person said she didn't know how to do that. Since she was the only person working that morning, we had little choice. I paid for both rooms on my credit card. It is not a big deal of course between my friend and me, but it really underscored how we spent an entire weekend at an isolated property with little service and not much comfort, while paying over $200 a night.

I was disappointed in the stay and will probably not return again. However, I do think the place has promise, if the management would only step up to utilize its potential.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank drummingtosca
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hume
Hampton Inn Front Royal
#1 of 1 in Huntly
Skyland
Skyland
#1 of 1 in Shenandoah National Park

Been to The Marriott Ranch Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!