“Pleasant B&B”

The Marriott Ranch Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 2 Hume B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 4, 2012

The Marriott Ranch was a pleasant B&B located near many vineyards. We stayed not in the main house but a small building next to the main house. The room was fine, it was more modern than I expect the rooms in the main house are. The walls were very thin and I heard the neighbors TV until very late. I would recommend ear plugs.

The B&B is very pretty. The common rooms nice. The provide guests with free sodas, water, small snacks, and wine and cheese in the afternoon. The breakfast was average at best. The staff were very friendly and helpful.

These are nice restaurants about 15 minutes drive, as well as many vineyards offering tastings. It did not appear as though there were many activities to do on the grounds but there are many nearby. The best part of our stay was the horseback riding we did at the ranch. The stables are a short drive down the road. Make sure to reserve ahead of time.

Room Tip: I wish we had been able to stay in the main house. I would recommend requesting one of those rooms n...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank atravelerr
There are newer reviews for The Marriott Ranch Bed and Breakfast

Reviewed August 29, 2012

A great escape from the city to an historic B&B on a real working ranch. There are wineries everywhere! Did I forget to mention two chefs cook breakfast? The ranch also has horseback trail rides every day but monday.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 22, 2012

This accommodation/venue/Inn has 10 rooms that were built in the late 1800s...

The rooms are cute, but no individual temp. controls and you can hear everyone in the other rooms... yes... you hear it all. There was also a communal bathroom down the hall for some of the rooms...OMG!

Staff was RUDE and only got rudder...

Got nasty looks when I asked questions.

It was a waste of money to be paid to be treated so badly, and the food was horrible that was offered in the morning. They forced us to sit together, which no one at the Inn wanted to do... we all ended up joking about it, but I felt at the end like I was at Norman Bates Hotel... what was next! LOL!

Try anything else... but dont expect Marriott Hospitality or anywhere near it. JW is probably turning over in his grave.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Mary-Beth H
Reviewed August 13, 2012

We found this fabulous property to be steeped in Marriott family history, as well as those of the Marshall and Yates families. While we did not stay in the main house, but in the Fairfield suite, we found the rooms and beds to be very comfortable, and the air conditioning first rate (if you've ever been stuck in a room with a awful A/C, you'll know what I mean!) The large flat screen TV and Dish Network satellite entertained the girls at night and the main house was accessible to guests 24 hours a day. The featured wine and cheese reception every day is a welcome opportunity to visit, and the butler's pantry is open all day/night as well with an assortment of complimentary soft drinks, water and snacks.

The breakfast service is first-rate featuring a "chef's choice" entree with fresh fruits, juices, coffee AND a selection of fresh baked pastries. An absolutely delicious and welcome start to the day.

This is a working ranch. Cattle roam freely and, more than once, we had to stop the car to let cattle cross the road in front of us. The house is located some 500 to 600 meters from the road, on a hill that overlooks grazing pastures in every direction. It's private, quiet and welcoming. What a great way to spend the weekend!

Local pubs are available just a few miles from the property as are a number of awesome Virginia wineries!

Our stay was a relaxing respite from the bustle and tumble of D.C. and the surrounding area. We will definitely find our way back to the the Marriott Ranch!

Since this is a review, I'll add one single, minor suggestion:

1. Morning coffee service starts at about 7:30 AM. For those who are habitually early risers, having coffee is always a plus. Perhaps consider an earlier coffee service, or (better yet) a Keurig coffee maker in the butlers pantry?

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank rddowns
Reviewed July 29, 2012

The Marriott Ranch B&B in Hume Virginia is a historic property which dates back to the early 1800's and it was purchased by the Marriott family in 1951. It is well located for the local winery tours and historic sites. The rooms are beautiful and comfortable. The staff was very helpful. Included in the price was a wine and cheese hour at 4 pm and a wonderful breakfast in the a.m. The pantry is stocked with snacks and drinks, and it is open 24hr a day. The property itself is lovely. I would recommend this B&B highly.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank MJF10
Reviewed June 8, 2012

My mom and I stayed here for two nights. We had a fabulous time! The staff was extremely friendly, breakfast was amazing, rooms were clean and comfortable...absolutely no complaints about this place. I can't say enough nice things about it. It's a great escape with great wineries in the area and only about 45 minutes from Shenandoah National Park. There's also horseback riding on the ranch, which I did on a separate day trip the year before staying here. I recommend it as a weekend getaway to everyone I know. Looking forward to going back again soon.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank elp111
Reviewed May 23, 2012

I cannot say enough about the royal treatment we received at the Marriott Ranch for our daughter's wedding. Louise Ramsey and the staff there could not have been more accommodating to us and made the entire weekend such a pleasure. Our every need was met. The setting was absolutely beautiful and the wedding was incredible. I highly recommend visiting the ranch and, if you're planning a wedding, you couldn't pick a more perfect place!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hume
Hampton Inn Front Royal
#1 of 1 in Huntly
Skyland
Skyland
#1 of 1 in Shenandoah National Park

Been to The Marriott Ranch Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!