“Great Stay in Hot Springs, Virginia”
Review of Vine Cottage Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Vine Cottage Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Hot Springs B&B and Inns
Poquoson, Virginia
“Great Stay in Hot Springs, Virginia”
Reviewed May 3, 2008

The Vine Cottage Inn in Hot Springs, VA was a great find. We were looking for an alternative to The Homestead and were delighted with our two night stay at the inn. The innkeepers, Jo and Jonah, were attentive and great fun to visit with. They truly made their home feel like your home. Jo's breakfasts were a great way to start the day. With accomodations for over thirty people, we will make it a future stop and bring friends and family.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Torchturtle

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Lynchburg
Reviewed April 15, 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Vine Cottage Inn while he attended a conference at Hot Springs. We have stayed at the Inn numerous times and have always enjoyed the hospitality provided by the innkeepers.

Staying at the Inn is like a visit to your favorite relative's house. You feel right at home and the innkeepers go out of their way to accommodate you. Each morning's breakfast is superb! No cereal and milk at the Vine Cottage Inn . . . each breakfast is a delicacy!

Check out their website and select your room. They have rooms for single travelers as well as families.

We have always enjoyed our stay at the Inn and look forward to many more visits.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank Scotch1
Northern Virginia
Reviewed March 31, 2008

My wife and I visited the Vine Cottage Inn to get away from the busy life in northern Virginia. TripAdvisor highly recommended VCI so I thought it would be a decent place to stay. Well, I was wrong - it wasn't decent, it was absolutely incredible. Both of the owners, Jonah and Joan, were extremely friendly. They treated us like we were family while we were there. I have never received a warmer reception at any hotel, temporary residence, or any other bed and breakfast. VCI is literally a couple hundred yards from everything in Hot Springs, VA, including the Homestead Inn, wine shops, hiking trails, and also very close to the Jefferson Pools, skiing facilities, and all of the restaurants. My wife and I were overwhelmed with all the things to do. One night we sat in the main room downstairs by the fireplace, drank wine, and played little puzzle games. How relaxing. I think the large fireplace was by far my favorite part of the entire place. On top of all this, VCI's prices are cheap given the surrounding area and its proximity to the Homestead Inn. Our room was $90 a night - and it was the second most expensive room if I remember correctly. Compare to the Homestead Inn where rooms reach prices over $2000 a night. Needless to say we will visit the Vine Cottage Inn again. On a side note, if you do visit Hot Springs, have a meal at a local restaurant - I think it's called the Country Cafe - and order the Peanut Butter Pie. It's amazing. The restaurant itself is a little too country (you will see), but the food is excellent.

• Liked — Breakfast and the fireplace
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Amball
Scotland, UK
Reviewed March 24, 2008

Because of a booking error at the nearby Homestead Resort, I found myself at the Vine Cottage Inn. As I was attending a conference at the Homestead I benefited from the cozy and informal atmosphere of this charming B&B whilst also experiencing some of the Resort's legendary and more formal services. For me at least, this combination worked well. As someone used to 4 and 5* properties around the world, the Homestead's facilities are indeed very extensive but otherwise pretty universal, although the location is very much to die for.

Meanwhile, the hosts at the Vine Cottage offered a true level of intimate customer service that is so often lost amongst chain hotels and resorts. They were genuinely interested in their guests and having worked in the industry for many years knew exactly what their guests wanted. Nothing was too much trouble.

The Vine Cottage is certainly good value for money. I paid $109 for a large, quiet room with private bath. If I have a slight criticism then it's probably that the rooms are a little on the spartan side - although the bed was delightfully comfortable. I know you're opting for a B&B but it would have been nice to have had a couple of extras. I can certainly live without a TV in the room (the large public lounge had one) but a bedside radio would have been nice - my room simply had an alarm clock. And although I can live without a hairdryer, I'm sure many female travellers would have benefited from one - they don't cost much. A definite plus is that WiFi is available in most of the rooms. I know most people on vacation are happy to be away from the pressures of the modern world but for me it was nice to know that it was there if I needed it

Breakfast is very much a communal affair which for someone used to keeping themselves to themselves first thing can be a bit of a culture shock but it's a very positive thing and gets you talking to your fellow guests.

All in all a very positive stay and so much better than many anonymous hotel experiences. Highly recommended.

• Liked — Great hosts
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank Art4All
riverview, fl
Reviewed March 19, 2008

We stayed from 3/11/08 to 3/18/08 our stay was wonderful, the keepers Ms. Jo and Mr. Jonha were awsome. It felt like home, everything was very clean and the breakfast was excellent. Mr. Jonha knows all the interesting spots to visit and where to go to have fun. The room #11 was great with a private bath it was quiet and comfortable. It was our first experience with a bed and breakfast inn, and we would go back there again. The inn keepers we consider our friends now and it not just a business to them, they make friendships with everyone they meet. The town is small but everyone is nice. The Homestead Resort is next door with things to do. The horseback riding was great and playing in the snow at Snowshoe was great. Thanks to Mr. Jonha who told us where to go. We recommend this beautiful inn for a great stay. Ken and Brenda

Stayed March 2008
Memphis
Reviewed February 26, 2008

It was such a joy staying at the Vine Cottage Inn. The Innkeepers were very informative and attentive and the breakfast was unbelievable! Jonah gave us the "inside info" on Hot Springs and recommended places to go and things to do - even made dinner reservations for us. My husband and I hiked one of the nature trails with a naturalist at the Homestead and we enjoyed taking advantage of being next door to that magnificent hotel without incurring the expense! Looking forward to returning to this charming B + B; soooo enjoyed the fireplace, now looking forward to the huge front porch!

Stayed February 2008
Chapel Hill, NC
Reviewed November 11, 2007

We first visited the Vine Cottage a few years ago when we were making a quick trip to Hot Springs. Little did we know that we would find such a lovely gem in this town run by two wonderful inn keepers. We returned again this year when we had more time and were not at all disappointed.

The best way to describe the Vine Cottage Inn is that it is like going home. The accommodations are very nice and comfortable, yet not pretentious. Jo and Jonah Windham, the inn keepers, are just out of this world. They are incredibly nice and go out of their way to make you feel like you are really at home. They have a wealth of information about the area and will be happy to help you with ideas for a full day adventure and fun in this tiny town if you need assistance. Of course, there is also the breakfast! Whatever Jo is inspired to cook, you can trust it will be delicious and she will make
sure you do not get out of your chair hungry!

We have traveled to many places around the world --- but this is the place that feels like home. We will definitely go home to the Vine Cottage again soon!

Stayed October 2007
The Anderson Cottage Bed and Breakfast
Fort Lewis Lodge
Fort Lewis Lodge
#1 of 1 in Millboro

Been to Vine Cottage Inn? Share your experiences!