“Needs work - too many missteps”

Jefferson's Restaurant & Bar
Ranked #3 of 14 Restaurants in Hot Springs
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Jefferson's Restaurant & Bar is an elegant, yet casual dining experience. A modern American grill featuring regional influences, Jefferson's follows a farm-to-table approach with a hand-picked selection of the best regional and prime meats. Jefferson's serves lunch and dinner with creative small plates and lighter fare. Choose whether you dine indoors in a setting wrapped in rich wood paneling with wide-screen televisions or take in a dramatic view of the Casino Lawn on the outdoor terrace. - See more at: http://www.Omnihotels.Com/hotels/homestead-virginia/dining/jeffersons-restaurant-and-bar#sthash.D1JAm3UO.Dpuf
Lexington, Virginia
“Needs work - too many missteps”
Reviewed September 18, 2013

My two mistakes: First, I really should have asked for a different table.

After a cocktail in the bar area (beautiful view - there was a wedding with an inflated, lit balloon), we checked in for our reservation, and we got "the look" - kind of like Ferris Bueller’s experience at Chez Paul. (I know it was not intentional, and barely noticeable.) I thought it might have been just me but my wife confirmed the same feeling.

We were placed way back and out, what later seemed to be the server training area.
After seating, we received different dinner menus. "I think I'll have the grouper." "That's not on my menu." "Hey, we have different menus! That's weird!"

After getting the menus straightened out, I asked for a wine list and server gave us the by-the-glass list. Server was away by the time we realized this. Finally got the bottle list, and pricing is insane. I expect that for by-the-glass, but the bottle prices were just as out-of-line.

I settled on a nice Chateauneuf with some bottle age - I can live with the premium they were charging for an aged bottle. Our server returned - "we don't have that wine" - so, back to the list.

Forty-five minutes have now passed. "I'm sorry, but we're very busy tonight." HUH???

After a struggle, our bottle is opened and I finally see our appetizers on the way, with our entrees right behind!!! Our server has the same expression I do.

I don't know if our server knew that we knew, but entrees were diverted back to the kitchen (prognosis unknown).

After a few minutes I asked the server to send the entrees on - I'd rather pile it all up than risking the wait for our mains.

The food was really good - surprisingly good after our experience so far. So I really can't give this a terrible rating.

And no, we didn't complain. We just got to the point of cutting our losses and bailing out.
So there's my second error. But I've corrected that one now.

The Homestead presents a standard for a dining experience, and this one this fell so short of that. I really do hope they can renew and maintain the standards that you come to expect from this Virginia icon.

• Visited August 2013
2 Thank CNSmith

Charlotte, North Carolina
“New option at The Homestead”
Reviewed September 12, 2013 via mobile

Jefferson's has an interesting menu that is varied enough to suit about everyone. The contemporary decor is a little different from the other venues at the hotel. However the outside dining area was first class. The food was good, but the service was slow and the server mixed things up. The portions are very small so you may leave hungry. I will try it again, but I am not sure Jefferson's will be a favorite.

• Visited September 2013
Fredericksburg, Virginia
“Still Getting in the Goove”
Reviewed September 10, 2013

Awesome decor, great food, but the service was slow - probably because it was still new and the staff isn't gelling in the routines and team spirit yet. Our waiter was frazzled trying to get everything served and failing. We'll try again next time - hopefully they will have worked the kinks out by then. Oh, and NOT dress attire like they advertize. Men in hiking boots, shorts and grubby shirts, women in torn jeans and college sweat shirts and my husband in a suit and tie - next time we go casual.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank D_317_B
Westport, Connecticut
“Much needed upgrade”
Reviewed September 8, 2013

This is the modernized version of the 1766 room under the new Omni ownership.
Varied menu!
Foraged mushrooms excellent as well as the gnocchi. Short ribs fabulous. Dinner for two ~ $125 plus drinks.

• Visited September 2013