“Small hill”
Review of The Homestead

The Homestead
Ranked #1 of 11 things to do in Hot Springs
Reviewed October 31, 2011

This is nice for young children and beginners. Goes well with the holiday trip. Not your best hill but OK. Use to take my sons here as a single traveling mom.
Stayed at the homestead and it made it easy and convenient. Great winter trip for x-mas. Do not expect to much and you will be OK.

All reviews
in 6 reviews
"southern hospitality"
"ice skating"
in 4 reviews
"been coming here for years"
"lazy river"
in 11 reviews
"resort fee"
"omni resort"

Reviewed November 22, 2010

We just returned from the most wonderful weekend. Please don't believe the older post from 2009. The place is breathtaking. It is certainly not run down and the staff is simply wonderful. We ate in the formal main dining room which was nice. It was a bit stuffy for our age range (40's) but the food was good and we even enjoyed a few dances. We actually closed the place down. The spa was such a treat. We enjoyed a Swedish massage on Friday and a mineral wrap on Saturday. We ate a Sam Snead's on Saturday and that was actually more or style. Would love to thank all the staff for such great service. The shops are nice but way over priced. I also had the chance to go ice skating for the first time and that was a blast! The rooms are nice and beds are comfortable. The afternoon tea service is such a nice blast from the past. It is pricey but well worth the money. If you looking for Budget Inn prices don't stay here unless they are running a special. Keep in mind that you won't get service like The Homestead at the Budget Inn either. Also we loved the Players Club but the pool tables and dart boards need to be replaced. www.muellers.com is the best place to get dart boards :http://www.poolndarts.com/p-5014-Tournament-Dartboard/ - $20.00 per board. Also you really need extra house darts. I brought my own cue and darts so we were fine. I guess a lot of guest don't mind but this was a big attraction for us as an evening activity. Yes, we closed down that lounge too! We'll be back soon! Loved the Christmas lights outside and the fire pit is a great touch.

1  Thank iluv2travelVa_
Reviewed September 2, 2010

I recently, August 26, 2010, stayed in Hot Springs, Virginia at a lovely Bed & Breakfast, Kings Victorian Inn. I booked a round of twilight golf at The Homestead. The fee quoted on the phone was $60. When I arrived they told me it would be $65 greens fee and $25 for a cart. Additionally, and most upsetting was the amount for the rental clubs which was $70. Amazing since the worn out mismatched clubs could have been purchased at a garage sale for that amount.

The course was beautiful.

Be aware of the ridiculous fees and take your own equipment.

Reviewed June 24, 2010

I was a pastry cook here for about six months.

Do not eat here. You will get better quality food at McDonalds. Almost everything is bought in, even the bread and breakfast pastries. Also it's Sysco. You know the turtle cheesecake they had? Yeah, we didn't make that. We buy it from Sysco, take it out of the deep freezer and thaw it the day of. The sauces? Also bought in. Soups? You betcha. The little snacks at tea time? Yep. Oh.. and we had a daily war with cockroaches. I volunteered to deep clean the fridges because there was black mold growing and the leftover food starting growing limbs. I suppose it's not that big of a deal but when you're dropping over $100 per person, I would bloody well expect some fresh ingredients and something even remotely handmade.

You can see why I left after six months.

I live in NYC, I can get a great meal for under $20 and everything is local, seasonal etc etc. If you insist on staying here, bring a bag of Doritos and some granola bars, you're going to eat the same crap for a lot less.

I've also taken the liberty to stay a night (discount)... I don't know.. For the money, it is not worth it. Considering most things are not included with the cost of the room, I would stay elsewhere.

7  Thank sweettooth4
See more reviews
Reviewed July 6, 2009

The Homestead has a lovely location, nestled in a mountain valley with beautiful grounds. Meals were very good, especially when you consider that the resort was operating at capacity over the July 4th weekend. We very much enjoyed a day of hiking right on the resort property. Service was polite at a minimum and sometimes friendly.

Our room, however, was disappointing, especially when you consider that it cost more than $300 per night. We had a "preferred classic" room on the "historic" west wing. The room was an OK size and had a big window in both the bedroom and bathroom. The disappointments: the wallpaper was peeling, the carpet was quite worn, and the walls, woodwork, and baseboards were dirty (fingerprints, dust, and smears of stuff that could have been removed with a good scrubbing). The very old heat/AC unit under the bedroom window leaked and soaked the carpet. The worst, though, was the mattress, which was old and furrowed, causing two nights of bad sleep.

In all, the room quality was more like a budget motel where you don't want to walk on the carpet in your bare feet. This wing is badly in need of renovation.

1  Thank EarnestTourist