Just returned from a conference with my wife at The Homestead and I must say that this destination landmark continues to deliver. The service was fabulous and the facility is in remarkable shape given its age.
We stayed in the newer wing which was convenient as the conference rooms were located very close to our room. The Homestead is a great choice for a group event given the large amount of meeting space and the character of the ballrooms.
Dinner in the Main Dining Room was great on Day 1 but by the 4th night I was tired of the limited menu. The menu does not change and there are no nightly specials. Dinner is clearly an event (jackets and slacks as a minimum for men) but spending 2.5 hours at a meal each night begins to take its toll. Regardless of how crowded the dining room is the pace is slow and I am sure this is the plan as there is little to no nightlife after dinner.
The quality of the food was excellent and the portion size is fair. We chose the meal plan which proved to be a good value given the ala carte pricing. For some odd reason our party did not book a dinner at the 1766 Grill and this would have provided some much needed variety. Our fault!
We snow tubed and skiied and the prices were inexpensive. $35 lift tickets and $35 rentals were downright cheap! Snow tubing was $15 for an hour which was a deal given that we made 10 runs in the hour and the j-bar lift saved climbing up the hill! Not to knock the ski hut's cafeteria but the food was pretty greasy and seemed poor given the wonderful food in the hotel. This is a serious area for improvement!
We bowled ($10 a game) and beers were $7.75 a can. Not cheap and you have to manually score your game.
We ice skated ($14 a session - two or three hour sessions) on the outdoor rink. Small but fun.
The spa was great but $145 plus $29 gratuity for a 50 minute Swedish massage seemed high given my experiences at other high end resorts.
The sports bar was fun (darts, pool and Golden Tee) and the staff let me plug in my iPhone so we could listen to some music. It's pretty quiet in there regardless of the size of the crowd.
Lindsey's Roost located just behind the resort in town proved to be a diamond in the rough. Great service, cheap drinks, pool table and the staff were downright friendly! There is a convenience store across the street if you want to buy some drinks or snacks to avoid in-room mini-bar charges.
The room was adequate with a nice balcony overlooking the mountains. Nothing special but given the age of the hotel I was pleased.
We played chess, checkers and did some puzzles because all you have is time when you visit The Homestead. The pace harkens back to a simpler time and if you give in to it you will enjoy your stay!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Open since 1766, The Omni Homestead is one of America's most storied resorts, offering unparalleled hospitality and southern charm in a 2,000-acre setting within the Allegheny Mountains of southwestern Virginia. Renowned for its natural hot springs, The Homestead is distinguished by 483 luxurious guest rooms and suites, 72,000 square feet of meeting space, a wide array of fine and casual dining choices, an expansive spa, championship golf courses that include one of the nation's finest mountain courses (The Cascades), Allegheny Springs, a two-acre family-friendly water attraction complete with lazy river, water slides and water play zone. The resort also offers the South's first downhill ski area, an Equestrian Center, top-rated Shooting Club, archery, canoeing, falconry, Segway tours and a wealth of other recreational attractions. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Omni Hotels & Resorts, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Priceline, HotelsforEveryone, Agoda, Hotwire, Cancelon, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and HotelsClick so you can book your The Omni Homestead Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Homestead Hotel Hot Springs
- Homestead Hotel Hot Springs
- Homestead Va
- Homestead Hot Springs Virginia
- Homestead Hot Springs Va
- Homestead Resort Hot Springs