While both are wonderful and storied resorts, the big difference is development scale.
The Greenbrier has morphed from resort into a sprawling residential community of on-site dwelling clusters, linked by constant paved roads everywhere, all gated and walled off from the fast food and gas station town of White Sulphur Springs, into which guests will rarely venture other than to enter and exit the resort through the Greenbrier's security-restricted passages. In general, the feeling is busy, crowded and occasionally overwhelming, consistent with the interior decor of the Greenbrier which is loud and riotously colorful.
The Homestead is the opposite, with almost no pavement or residential clusters within sight of the resort, leaving the ground's landscape natural and accessible only by foot (or golf cart or bicycle) and creating an entirely different feel. Rather than being walled off from the resort, the village of Hot Springs has been thoughtfully preserved, upgraded with light retail and dining, and integrated into the resort as a natural extension of the setting. There are no security checks, walls, gates or other barriers to define the resort's boundaries, which merge seamlessly into the natural setting or the village, consistent with the subtlety of the Homestead's subdued color schemes indoors.
The two legendary venues are only an hour apart so if you stay at one, visiting the other is a worthwhile sidetrip.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Open since 1766, The Omni Homestead is one of America's most storied resorts, offering unparalleled hospitality and southern charm in a 2,000-acre setting within the Allegheny Mountains of southwestern Virginia. Renowned for its natural hot springs, The Homestead is distinguished by 483 luxurious guest rooms and suites, 72,000 square feet of meeting space, a wide array of fine and casual dining choices, an expansive spa, championship golf courses that include one of the nation's finest mountain courses (The Cascades), Allegheny Springs, a two-acre family-friendly water attraction complete with lazy river, water slides and water play zone. The resort also offers the South's first downhill ski area, an Equestrian Center, top-rated Shooting Club, archery, canoeing, falconry, Segway tours and a wealth of other recreational attractions. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Omni Hotels & Resorts, Travelocity, Agoda, Priceline and Jetsetter so you can book your The Omni Homestead Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Homestead Hotel Hot Springs
- Homestead Hotel Hot Springs
- Homestead Va
- Homestead Hot Springs Virginia
- Homestead Hot Springs Va
- Homestead Resort Hot Springs