If my intention was to rate the atmosphere and incredible surroundings of this historic resort, it would easily be 5 stars, but I have to involve the other things as well, like you know food, service, amenities and the likes.
The drive to get here was quite scenic and can be an adventure in itself if you don't have GPS. Now that Omni has taken over, they really need to do a better job of placing directional signs within a 50 mile radius (like the exit on I-81 for starters) to at least try and direct people to this resort, unless that is, they don't want incidental visitors. Once you do arrive though, the grandeur of the palatial hotel makes up for the long drive. I opted to self-park in one of the 2 small lots near by, you can valet if you please. Upon arrival, several staff members are always around to assist you to get around and the main lobby area is very welcoming, especially in the midst of Winter it's extra cozy (this isn't my first time here).
Up in the rooms, it's pretty much a clean standard issue experience as with just about any other hotel. I suspect you wouldn't want be wasting your time in the rooms anyway, too many activities await. We actually never turned on the TV the entire 3 days, that says something considering I am a TV junkie. Don't be surprised to find the occasional Jurassic era cockroach in the main hallways, it happens, they're harmless.
Didn't golf, but did play some tennis and briefly checked out the pool and activity area. This part was great. The (clay) tennis courts were free to reserve and were a pleasure to play on with awesome mountain views in the background, no issues here. There was a croquet area with corn hole set up as well which was a fun little break on the way to the Casino to grab a bite to eat. The Casino was great, relaxing environment, great service, food was good and of course full bar service. Don't be confused now, there is no gambling in this casino, not even slots. This is however, where you go to set up your tennis or golf reservations. Once again, some signage would have been helpful, our group had to walk for 15 minutes to figure that one out.
So much more I can say, but let me get to my least favorite aspects that give this place 4 stars. The breakfast area, which isn't cheap mind you, was just a playground for kids to run around. The unruliness wasn't my biggest problem though, it was the fact that it seemed like utter chaos to get my food from the multiple buffet lines, worst of all, pancakes were completely out within minutes. You would think one of the hottest breakfast items would be quickly restocked, but nope, I went without pancakes sadly. Perhaps an adults-only area for the breakfast crowd would be nice, some of us come here to get away from kids and screaming, just a thought.
I'm pushing over 3000 characters now for this review, so I'll stop at this final note: this place has become less of an adult retreat that it was 6-8 years ago to more of a full blown family resort atmosphere, so keep that in mind if you want a quiet escape from your hectic life. This isn't the only resort in VA.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Open since 1766, The Omni Homestead is one of America's most storied resorts, offering unparalleled hospitality and southern charm in a 2,000-acre setting within the Allegheny Mountains of southwestern Virginia. Renowned for its natural hot springs, The Homestead is distinguished by 483 luxurious guest rooms and suites, 72,000 square feet of meeting space, a wide array of fine and casual dining choices, an expansive spa, championship golf courses that include one of the nation's finest mountain courses (The Cascades), Allegheny Springs, a two-acre family-friendly water attraction complete with lazy river, water slides and water play zone. The resort also offers the South's first downhill ski area, an Equestrian Center, top-rated Shooting Club, archery, canoeing, falconry, Segway tours and a wealth of other recreational attractions. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Hotwire, Orbitz, Expedia, Omni Hotels & Resorts, Priceline, Travelocity, Cancelon, Odigeo, Agoda and Jetsetter so you can book your The Omni Homestead Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Homestead Hotel Hot Springs
- Homestead Hotel Hot Springs
- Homestead Va
- Homestead Hot Springs Virginia
- Homestead Hot Springs Va
- Homestead Resort Hot Springs