Before going, I was convinced that the grandeur of the Homestead (based on the pictures) or the service (based on chain ownership--Omni) would fail to meet my expectations. But after my family (wife and 2 girls—3 and 5) spent 3 nights there, I can say that all my expectations were not only meet, but surpassed.
Here is my review of some topics, forgive the length.
Dining: We ate at all the restaurants at the resort, and enjoyed them all (although every restaurant opens at 5:30 for dinner, so an afternoon snack was required for my girls.) I would say the price breakdown (from most costly to least expensive) would be the main dining room, the Jefferson, Sam Snead, the Casino. I liked the Jefferson and the Casino the most. If you want to eat off site, the hotel’s shuttles (always an abundance of) will drive you to destinations within 5 miles. This allows you to go to restaurants like the waterwheel in Warm Springs. If you are looking for something quick, maybe for lunch: Martha’s Market has sandwiches, there is a Subway by Sam Sneads, and the pool restaurant has good options. I would recommend purchasing the $100 meal cards for $85 before going, 15% is always a nice savings.
Accommodations: Our room was huge. We were very impressed with the cleanliness of the room, and the ability to have a fridge. The bathroom had heated floors which was a bonus, but overall very nice.
Pools are amazing! For my 3 year old, she loved playing in the kid’s pool. The water features and sand area really kept her busy. My 5 year old loved the main pool because it starts at 3 feet, allowing her to touch. Both loved the lazy river, and I loved the water slides. They provide ice water around the pool which was appreciated. The indoor pool was very warm, almost like a bath. It was very deep, starting at 5 feet going to 7 feet. They have noodles and kick boards here.
The best part of the trip really was the staff. They are exceedingly friendly. I know it a service industry, but I’m not sure I could be that nice all the time. One employee saw my family sitting on a couch along the front deck and decided my girls needed ice cream, so she went into Martha’s market and bought them some. Just very good people, always saying hello, asking if there’s anything we needed.
- Upon arrival, I decided to self-park as the lot was maybe 60 yards up a gradual hill, so very simple and budget friendly ($10 per day, as opposed to $20 per day).
- They have a fairly large playset that is nice. The arcade (with mini bowling alley) is nice, but expensive. We went through $30 in 15 minutes. You can do bumper lanes for bowling ($3 per 5 frames)
- The carriage ride is somewhat expensive, but if you get there a little earlier and wander the stables, it helps justify the expense.
- The movie theater has 2 movies per night 7pm for kids and 9:30 for adults.
- Crocket and corn hole near the fire in the evenings was a hit for us.
- Arcade opens at 4 on the weekdays.
There will be a 15%(I think that's right) tax on most things, from food ot activities. For example, the carriage ride, $95 for 30 minutes is $109.25 after tax.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Open since 1766, The Omni Homestead is one of America's most storied resorts, offering unparalleled hospitality and southern charm in a 2,000-acre setting within the Allegheny Mountains of southwestern Virginia. Renowned for its natural hot springs, The Homestead is distinguished by 483 luxurious guest rooms and suites, 72,000 square feet of meeting space, a wide array of fine and casual dining choices, an expansive spa, championship golf courses that include one of the nation's finest mountain courses (The Cascades), Allegheny Springs, a two-acre family-friendly water attraction complete with lazy river, water slides and water play zone. The resort also offers the South's first downhill ski area, an Equestrian Center, top-rated Shooting Club, archery, canoeing, falconry, Segway tours and a wealth of other recreational attractions. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Omni Hotels & Resorts, Priceline, Orbitz, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Cancelon, Odigeo, Travelocity, Agoda and Jetsetter so you can book your The Omni Homestead Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Homestead Hotel Hot Springs
- Homestead Hotel Hot Springs
- Homestead Va
- Homestead Hot Springs Virginia
- Homestead Hot Springs Va
- Homestead Resort Hot Springs