My wife and I spent one night at the Homestead in February 2014. We went to the resort primarily for skiing, and it was a terrific place to spend a night away.
The main bar area is a good place to have a drink/appetizers/lunch. We had dinner at Sam Sneads, which was very crowded and somewhat disappointing.
The breakfast buffet was hands-down the best I've ever had. This includes various buffets at Four Seasons around the world and, closer to home, the Greenbrier.
Living in Virginia, for us the debate has always been Greenbrier vs. Homestead. I always wondered why anyone would go to the Homestead, when you could go to the Greenbrier and take advantage of the casino. Although the casino is a big draw at the Greenbrier, I liked the Homestead better. It's less pretentious, better value, and the food is about the same (I think the food at the Greenbrier is overrated). So unless you're going to gamble, consider the Homestead as a better alternative, especially if you ski.
There is a quick, easy shuttle from the lobby to the Homestead ski area, which is less than 3 minutes away. We went early on a Saturday morning, and it didn't get crowded until around 10:30. The ski area is great for beginners like me (and really good for small kids just learning to ski), but my wife still enjoyed the skiing for the more accomplished skier.
The heated outdoor pool was a lot of fun as well.
FYI, the hotel has very good perks as part of the Amex FHR program, which is another reason I put it a notch ahead of the Greenbrier.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Open since 1766, The Omni Homestead is one of America's most storied resorts, offering unparalleled hospitality and southern charm in a 2,000-acre setting within the Allegheny Mountains of southwestern Virginia. Renowned for its natural hot springs, The Homestead is distinguished by 483 luxurious guest rooms and suites, 72,000 square feet of meeting space, a wide array of fine and casual dining choices, an expansive spa, championship golf courses that include one of the nation's finest mountain courses (The Cascades), Allegheny Springs, a two-acre family-friendly water attraction complete with lazy river, water slides and water play zone. The resort also offers the South's first downhill ski area, an Equestrian Center, top-rated Shooting Club, archery, canoeing, falconry, Segway tours and a wealth of other recreational attractions. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Amex, Booking.com, Expedia, Cancelon, Orbitz, Omni Hotels & Resorts, Hotwire, Priceline, Hotels.com, Agoda, Odigeo and Jetsetter so you can book your The Omni Homestead Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Homestead Hotel Hot Springs
- Homestead Hotel Hot Springs
- Homestead Va
- Homestead Hot Springs Virginia
- Homestead Hot Springs Va
- Homestead Resort Hot Springs