My husband and I celebrated our 10th anniversary on Valentine's Day, but we know enough to NOT go out/away for that night nor President's Day weekend. When we saw the Groupon deal, we decided to check it out for our anniversary trip.
We arrived on Monday as the hordes were exiting. (Many had stayed for the day however and mobbed the food table for High Tea.) It was like the staff was breathing a great sigh of relief. We stayed Monday and Tuesday nights, which were fairly quiet, as we had hoped. We had a lovely dinner and danced in the Main Dining Room, where we saw some family groups, some which had children, others included young adults (young 20's). The waitress was a little out of her depth, but I used to be in the hotel industry as a Food and Beverage Director, so I have very high expectations.
The second night we ate in the very attractive Jefferson Restaurant, where we enjoyed dinner of Beef Short Ribs, shrimp and grits, and duck empanadas which was nicely complemented by the Bold Rock hard cider. For breakfast, we checked out the buffet in the Main Dining Room, which was just about as extensive as any breakfast buffet I have seen. (It had eggs to order, a biscuit bar, a toast bar including bagels, etc, fresh fruit , pancakes, sausage and bacon, and several breakfast casseroles, but no waffle station.) However, we didn't want a huge ($22) breakfast, so we opted for a couple of pieces of fruit and a piece of coffeecake (meh) in Martha's Market.
Our room was in the east wing, #1622, which was beautifully decorated in old south elegance (the interior designer was out of Richmond), and had a pretty view of the mountains, the village in the valley, the spa garden, and the ice skating rink. The housekeeping staff took good care of us. The room beside us was in the Tower, and was a suite with a chaise lounge in a sunny window-filled alcove. I would have loved that, but I think that might be the area some folks found chilly.
We are in our 50's but are very active. We enjoyed the ice skating, swimming in both the indoor and outdoor pools, and the fitness room. Our biggest complaint was the limited number of activities. Unfortunately, the Jefferson Pools were closed Tuesday and Wednesday, and because of the snow and ice, horseback riding, carriage rides, and archery were not available. However, we both had brought business work we had to do, so we were never looking for something more to do. I loved doing my work on my laptop (BTW, the WiFi was totally free) sitting in the sun on a chaise in the hotel library. We also enjoyed sitting by the fire at one of the three working fireplaces.
The daily resort fee is always a little irritating, but totally par for the course in the resort world today.
And sure, this place is old and it will not be like staying in a new Ritz Carlton, but we loved the history and charm that you cannot build into a new place. We're looking forward to checking out the Omni Bedford Springs next!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Open since 1766, The Omni Homestead is one of America's most storied resorts, offering unparalleled hospitality and southern charm in a 2,000-acre setting within the Allegheny Mountains of southwestern Virginia. Renowned for its natural hot springs, The Homestead is distinguished by 483 luxurious guest rooms and suites, 72,000 square feet of meeting space, a wide array of fine and casual dining choices, an expansive spa, championship golf courses that include one of the nation's finest mountain courses (The Cascades), Allegheny Springs, a two-acre family-friendly water attraction complete with lazy river, water slides and water play zone. The resort also offers the South's first downhill ski area, an Equestrian Center, top-rated Shooting Club, archery, canoeing, falconry, Segway tours and a wealth of other recreational attractions. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Omni Hotels & Resorts, Priceline, Hotwire, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Cancelon, Travelocity, Agoda, Odigeo and Jetsetter so you can book your The Omni Homestead Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Homestead Hotel Hot Springs
- Homestead Hotel Hot Springs
- Homestead Va
- Homestead Hot Springs Virginia
- Homestead Hot Springs Va
- Homestead Resort Hot Springs