“jaw droppingly bad in-room dining”

The Omni Homestead Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Hot Springs
GreenLeadersBronze level
harrisonburg, United States
“jaw droppingly bad in-room dining”
Reviewed December 2, 2013

On a recent stay at the Homestead, the quality of the in-room dining varied drastically from Thursday night (very good) to Friday night (the worst I've ever had). My wife is a vegetarian and ordered the pizza since it was the only true vegetarian option; what she received was obviously a take-out pizza (suspiciously like Dominoes) that was even delivered to our room in a take out box, with onions and black olives added by your kitchen staff. Also, the chocolate ice cream was literally a shopping store container of ice cream (identical to what we buy at Martin's)--it wasn't even put in a dish. This is nothing short of embarrassing, and is unacceptable for a resort like the Homestead, especially considering the cost of the food that is added to the room price. I'm estimating the cost of the food since it's included in the bill, but I'd say we paid about 60.00 for a Dominoes pizza and a pint of ice cream. Should have just brought our own!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

1 Thank Chuck D
HomesteadResort, General Manager at The Omni Homestead Resort, responded to this review, December 13, 2013
We appreciate your candid feedback regarding your recent stay at The Homestead. We regret that your in-room dining experience did not meet your expectations. Our Culinary Department joins me in extending our sincerest apologies. We do value input from our guests and use all comments as tools for improvement. We hope you will visit us again soon so we may have an opportunity to regain your goodwill and confidence and provide you with a first-class experience.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (661)
richmond, va, United States
Reviewed December 2, 2013

we had a wonderful time. Nick from Jamaca who is always cleaning something was great with the kids and Lisa at Wm Flynn store was very helpful and professional. Overall it was a great stay and we look forward to returning.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family

Aurora, Colorado
Reviewed December 1, 2013

Unfortunately, this is the first negative review I have written. That is partially due to the fact that we always research where we choose to stay, and generally find that positives far outweigh potential negatives. That is not the case for the historic Homestead. At the Christmas tree lighting, the new manager remarked he had been at the property for 8 days, hopefully he can get things moving in the right direction.

Having just moved to Virginia from Colorado, we were looking for a new Thanksgiving tradition. In the past, we spent the holiday on the slopes. From the reviews we read, The Homestead seemed like a good choice. What we discovered through the course of the trip was that most of the guests had stayed at the property before, and many of them have been staying for decades, literally. That makes me believe that these people have too much of an emotional connection to see things objectively. I heard guests making excuses for the hotel constantly. That is a bad sign. Guests should not be defending a product, the product should speak for itself.

Here is my objective assessment:

Pros:
- The staff. Everyone we encountered had a positive attitude, worked hard, and clearly wanted to help guests in whatever way they could. Without the staff, I'd have given a 1.
- The property. The Homestead has remarkable curb appeal. You can see the history and majesty of the property as soon as you drive up.

Cons:
- The prices. The rooms were at least double what they would normally be because of the holiday, but should have been probably 1/5 the cost. Having stayed all over the world, if I pay $500 a night for a room, I'm expecting slightly more than Holiday Inn. Maybe I'm crazy.
- The food: For the price, the food was a joke. Again, I don't mind paying for a nice meal. I do mind paying for inadequacy. The filet mignon I had at Sam Snead's Tavern was the worst I've ever had in my life. The food at Jefferson's and the Casino was pretty good, but not nearly as good as the price tag indicated.
- The Spa: The massage was great, however, we booked the spa so that we could also enjoy the outdoor hot tub and pool that is just for spa guests. These areas were closed for the ENTIRE day though because of ice. I found this hilarious having just moved from Colorado because 1. there was no visible ice on the pool deck and 2. if there was ice, GET RID OF IT! Unbelievable. I'm trying to imagine a hotel in Breck or Aspen or Vail telling their guests the pool is closed because of ice.
- Thanksgiving dinner: We chose the Thanksgiving buffet dinner, as did the vast majority of the other guests. The buffet was set up in a massive banquet hall. With the hundreds of guests eating, they set up ONE guy serving ONE turkey at a time and ONE pan of each of the sides. Needless to say, the lines to get food were absurd, and I never actually ended up getting mashed potatoes, having waited for a new pan for 10 minutes on two separate occasions. I can't imagine such poor planning at any hotel/restaurant. Here's the best part, the buffet was $75 per person, just for the food. With one drink a piece for my wife and the automatic 17% surcharge plus taxes and tip, we ended up paying $250 for a few pieces of mediocre turkey and some apple cobbler. The Thanksgiving Dinner experience sort of epitomized the entire trip for us. Paying mightily for nothing more than the name of the resort.
- The pretentious society folk. I grew up in Georgia, so I am very familiar with the Southern patriarchal status crowd. The Homestead is absolutely teaming with wealthy well-to-do Virginians that believe that staying at The Homestead in some way conveys their worth to whomever they are trying to impress. These are the folks that equate expenses with quality. If you are like me and base quality on the product/service regardless of expense, you will be left wanting. Severely.

This review is already too long, and I could continue with many more examples, but I think I've conveyed my point. I think next year, we will head to the Caribbean and have twice the quality for half the price. Or anywhere else in the world for that matter.

9 Thank 486BrianS
Thank you for choosing The Homestead to spend your Thanksgiving holiday and for your very helpful feedback. Be assured that we take your comments seriously and they will be very useful to us as we make plans for not only next Thanksgiving, but all future holiday events. Omni is very proud to have added The Homestead to our family and we are looking forward to making this magnificent historical property even better. We hope that you will return sometime in the future.
Alexandria, VA, United States
Reviewed December 1, 2013

Interesting and unique hotel but the prices are steep. The Main Dinning Room is beautiful but I expected much better service and meal quality for the price ($230 for 2 people). While it was nice to experience The Homestead once, I don't think I can justify a return visit at that price.

1 Thank Parker H
Richmond VA, United States
Reviewed November 30, 2013

The hotel has changed ownership at least one to many times and most of the staff appears to be recent hires who have no clue what they are doing. The buildings are old with little maintenance. For what one gets at this price, the value is gone.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Omni Hotels & Resorts

Thank you for visiting The Homestead. Please know we take your feedback seriously and will work with our team through better training to reinforce the level of service and product you have become accustomed to. We recently completed a $25 million renovation to our historic property, and exciting plans are being made for more restorations. We do hope that you will give us another chance in the future to show you a truly great Homestead experience and regain your goodwill and confidence.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed November 28, 2013

The resort is fabulous. My husband and I stayed at the hotel last week. The Homestead offered a variety of dining options from formal to casual. The service, facilities, and food are outstanding. The staff exceeded our expectations. Viviana at the front desk is wonderful. We requested a room with king bed and we had a room with two double beds. She changed us to a room with a king bed and upgraded us to a beautiful room. Also, she helped us to make dinning reservations since we couldn't get a hold of the concierge desk. Her hospitality was just wonderful. Thank you to all the staff who made our stay the perfect gateway.

1 Thank Mary F
Virginia, United States
Reviewed November 28, 2013

All is top-notch here from the first hello to the ambiance to the bedding to the staff to the excellent food. This is our 4th visit, we know what to expect and we received it. Due to icey conditions, we were unable to use the new spa hot pool outdoors, but were graciously shown to the new spa Aquavana experience free of charge since we could not enjoy the 'whole show'. Very accommodating at this resort.

1 Thank Ernest Maribet... M
The Anderson Cottage Bed and Breakfast
Hill Crest Bed & Breakfast
Hill Crest Bed & Breakfast
#1 of 4 in Clifton Forge

Been to The Omni Homestead Resort? Share your experiences!