First: we love it here. It is peaceful and there is a lot to do. You can come and play golf, go falconing, drive through an obstacle course, or you can sit and do nothing except drink mudslides at the pool.
Second: location. We are from the DC area and don't want to have to fly to get to vacation, because of a) the hassle of flying b) the added expense and c) because of the fact that some people in a family like to pack a lot. It is about a 3.5 hour drive from DC. It's an easy drive out 66 to 81 and then back roads. Little note - don't speed on your drive, troopers work the roads heavily. Believe me.
Third: the resort. The place is beautiful. While it dates back to 1766, most of the construction seems to be early 20th century. It has a very jazz age feel. It is very stately. There is a wonderful pool area on one side and an equally extravagant indoor pool on the other side of the property. There is a lot of improving going on. A new water slide and lazy river has just been installed in the outdoor pool and a completely new spa (very high end from what I am told) is being put in near the indoor pool. There are many activities to choose from, generally at a charge, which is not often minimal.
Four: dining: the main dining room is an old school dining room, featuring local foods. A jacket is required for dinner. At breakfast you will find just about the best buffet anywhere. At dinner there is a jazz trio and dancing is encouraged. It is a lovely, elegant evening. There is also a Sam sneads pub ( Snead himself is buried just down the road - he learned to play at the homestead). The pool, golf areas and lobby also have basic foods to choose from.
Five: the service. The service can best be described as sincere. We have been coming here for ten years and we have seen many of the faces many times. They do everything they can to make you feel warm and special and appreciated. But this is not a city and the pace is maybe just a little slower
Six: activities. Golf is the big draw with two great courses. They are making an effort to update their offerings. Best things: a hike with a naturalist, kayaking on the nearby lake moomaw or jackson river and falconing. Come on, where else can you go falconing? Oh, and take a plunge in the Jefferson pools. So very very relaxing.
Comparisons: nothing gainst the greenbriar But we found that place to be too stuffy. What we wanted to do was to enjoy ourselves without having to worry about what we wore when we were walking around. At the Greenbrier it just seemed that we were being told exactly what to wear all day long in every part of the property. The homestead remains a class establishment, but it doesn't rub it in your face all day.
I'm not sure everyone will love the homestead. But we do and we will keep coming back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Open since 1766, The Omni Homestead is one of America's most storied resorts, offering unparalleled hospitality and southern charm in a 2,000-acre setting within the Allegheny Mountains of southwestern Virginia. Renowned for its natural hot springs, The Homestead is distinguished by 483 luxurious guest rooms and suites, 72,000 square feet of meeting space, a wide array of fine and casual dining choices, an expansive spa, championship golf courses that include one of the nation's finest mountain courses (The Cascades), Allegheny Springs, a two-acre family-friendly water attraction complete with lazy river, water slides and water play zone. The resort also offers the South's first downhill ski area, an Equestrian Center, top-rated Shooting Club, archery, canoeing, falconry, Segway tours and a wealth of other recreational attractions. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline, Expedia, Omni Hotels & Resorts, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travelocity, HotelsforEveryone, TravelUp, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Orbitz, Cancelon, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and HotelsClick so you can book your The Omni Homestead Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Homestead Hotel Hot Springs
- Homestead Hotel Hot Springs
- Homestead Va
- Homestead Hot Springs Virginia
- Homestead Hot Springs Va
- Homestead Resort Hot Springs