“Peaceful setting”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Burke, Virginia
“Peaceful setting”
Reviewed May 4, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Homestead 8-10 April 2013. This was our second stay so we had a good idea what to expect. We asked to change rooms when we arrived and the front desk staff was very accommodating. There was a lot of renovation going on but we still had a very experience. We ate dinner at Sam Snead's Tavern and the food was good but the service was not at the standard one would expect for that caliber of property. The breakfast in the main dining room was still excellent and the service was superb. We had drinks at the Lobby Bar and decided to also eat dinner there. Both bartenders were friendly and we really enjoyed their conversation. The only downside was housekeeping was not at the same standard we had experienced on our first stay.

Green Features: The Homestead has good environmentally- friendly practices.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Sean8tv
HomesteadResort, General Manager at The Omni Homestead Resort, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
It is always good to hear from our repeat guests as we value your opinion. We're pleased that you enjoyed the food at Sam Snead’s Tavern, as well as breakfast in the Main Dining Room and your experience at our new Lobby Bar. We are sorry housekeeping did not meet your expectations and this is being addressed so we may make improvements. We enjoyed welcoming you back and hope you will return soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (653)
Reviewed May 3, 2013 via mobile

We took our English guests to The Homestead expecting to find good service, pleasant surroundings, and good quality food at price slightly more than we usually pay. The Homestead has greatly disappointed us.

In the lobby bar, we waited for more than 15 minutes without a waitress appearing, all the white, two bar employees were working and chatting in plain sight. Finally, I asked one of the employees if the bar was open for business. She said they were, and a waitress appeared in about 5 minutes.

At dinner, we had two trainees serving us who were obviously undertrained, and undersupervised. They later got into a disagreement steps away from the table over who had made a mistake in serving. My steak was tough and grisly. Another of our party had pheasant which was poorly presented. Overall, for 4 people with a modest wine, the tab with tip was $277.00. Considering the quality of the food, the service, and the presentation, it should have been half as much.

I'm glad to see that the Homestead'sGeneral Manager read's and gives a cookie cutter response to these review's, but what he really needs to do is to get off his duff and do his job.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JohnDNC
Thank you for posting your review. We are sorry we did not meet your expectations. Please know that all guests contacting my office directly receive a personalized response. I would welcome the opportunity to hear from you so I may personally address your concerns.
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed May 1, 2013

My wife and I had a wonderful trip, and enjoyed everything from the friendly staff to the beautiful trails surrounding the property. Looking at the other reviews here, I was surprised to find so much negativity. Maybe it was because I had a Groupon and so paid a slightly reduced rate, but the construction did not bother us at all. Is it really fair to criticize a hotel for improving the property? Also, the activities reservation form we were sent notified us ahead of time that the spa was closed for renovations (though I agree they could have done a better job of advertising this). Our room was immaculate, and we found the rest of the property to be in very good condition as well (another source of confusion for me that others critiqued this).

We occupied ourselves with all of the "free" activities (tennis, spring-fed pool and hot tub, chess and books in the library, hikes around the property, movies, enjoying the views, and exploring such a large and historic property). Oh, and of course we gorged ourselves on the huge (and wonderful) buffet breakfast every morning.

A lot of reviewers seemed concerned whether this should be considered a 4 star or 5 star property. To be honest, I don't really know, and don't care. I felt that I definitely got my money's worth. We were the most relaxed we have been in recent memory, and came away with lots of good memories. To me, that counts as a successful vacation!

1 Thank DetBal
HomesteadResort, General Manager at The Omni Homestead Resort, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Thank you for writing such a nice review. We are glad that you had a relaxing and enjoyable vacation. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon so that we may create many more fond memories together!
Ontario, Canada
Reviewed April 30, 2013

We visited the Homestead April 26-28 2013 and used a Living Social voucher. Overall, we weren't expecting it to be so formal, but it was lovely. We would return.

Activities
We played 9 holes on the old course. The views were great, the course was nice and well maintained. It's very hilly so use a cart unless you're in great shape! We'd golf there again. The pool was warm and clean and felt new and had lots of towels and chairs. The hot tub/ whirlpool part was way too small even for the thin crowd there at this time of year. There is a bar poolside. The Jefferson baths were closed so we missed this attraction. We took a hike on the South trail; there's a lot of uphill and not many stunning views. The best part was walking past the horse paddock and having a horse come over and nuzzle us and lean into our scratching and petting. We're suburban people so this was a nice treat :)

Staff
Definitely Southern hospitality at work here. The valets were friendly and random staff we encountered in the elevators were always friendly and answered our questions happily. The low point in the service was unfortunately the front desk check-in clerk. She was a little unkept looking, made no eye contact, mumbled, and didn't even direct us how to get to our room. The servers at the breakfast buffet were always kind and took great care of us.

Worth mentioning: Anthony (bellhop) was super nice; courteous and friendly. Jacob at the pool was polite, courteous, precise (ie lining up the chairs!) and he handled all sorts of things with finesse.

Room
Quite big; we were on floor 21 in a room with a view. It was a spacious room with a relatively modern bathroom. Hot water in the shower. Counter space was lacking in the bathroom around the sink. There were lots of surfaces for luggage. The windows opened but have no screens. Big comfy bed but terrible pillows. Both my husband and I like firm foam pillows and these were very squishy down pillows. Next time we'd just bring our own from home. The chair and love seat were in new condition. Decor was country chic (think pink, flowers and stripes). The room had a walk-in closet. It would have been perfect with a balcony or patio. Once the sun was up, the room was very bright, even with the shades drawn. Free 512 mb internet in the room; you have the option of paying for the faster connection but the slow one was fine for our needs. No turndown service. Nothing real special from a housekeeping perspective.

Not 5-star. The best food we had was at the breakfast buffet. There was just about everything you could imagine for breakfast; the only thing I couldn't find was smoked salmon and the fixings. Good thick crispy bacon, great donuts, lots of fresh fruit, berries, nuts, cereal, pancakes, waffles, scrambled eggs, pastries, biscuits & gravy, meats and basically everything else you would expect.
On a Friday evening in the off-season, we expected to be able to dine without a reservation and we were mistaken! The pub was completely booked and we were invited to wait for someone to no-show for their reservation. There wasn't anything else appealing to us near the pub so we went to the lobby bar and got food there. My husband ordered a turkey club. At first the price seemed steep but the sandwich was enormous and we soon forgot about the price. We had sandwiches and wraps from Martha's Market before golfing and it was not a good $9 veggie wrap for me... seriously boring. Needed dressing or sauce or goat cheese or something.
They are strict about the jacket requirement in the main dining room for dinner so we didn't dine there. My husband wears a suit to work so he refuses to wear a jacket on vacation ;) We had room service dinner one night. I couldn't find a menu in the room so we looked it up online. The fries were hot and super crispy and the turkey club was fine but the chicken quesadilla lacked cheese and was seasoned with an odd spice. The coconut cake was boring. The $17 pizza had bland sauce, was small and quite undercooked (to the point that I considered sending it back) (plus add auto-grat 17%-18% and a delivery charge for room service).

Bottom line: We would return, especially if we got another deal. We'd bring our own pillows, bring nicer clothing so we fit in better. We'd figure out how to get to Rubino's for a meal and we'd make a reservation in advance for Sam Snead's pub. We would definitely golf again, and we'd try to get to the Jefferson pools.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for a room with a view, it's really very pretty. Higher up we also didn't hea...
3 Thank Canada_girl28
Thank you for providing such a great, comprehensive review of our historic resort! It sounds like you were able to take in a little bit of everything (there is a lot to do here). We appreciate all your observations and suggestions as we value input from our guests and use all comments as tools for training and improvement. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon so that you may enjoy more of our endless opportunities and our new amenities which will be debuting very soon.
Greer, South Carolina
Reviewed April 30, 2013

Great old hotel that is in 1st rate condition unlike some other older hotels. Played the Old Course and loved it. Had dinner at Sam Snead's and in the Dining Room. Food was 3-4 star, service was first rate. We hope to go back soon and try the Cascades Course.

Green Features: The hotel will recycle towels and bedding if you like.
1 Thank vdad
Thank you for sharing the highlights of your recent visit to The Homestead. We are thrilled you enjoyed your golfing experience. We take great pride in the Cascades Course, which is nationally ranked and designed by Wm. S. Flynn in 1923. The Old Course at The Homestead boasts the oldest first tee in continuous use in the country. We are glad you also enjoyed many other aspects of our resort as well. We look forward to seeing you on the course again soon!
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 30, 2013

I've got to tell you ... After a pretty bizarre third trip to The Homestead with a few minor bumps with the doorman and Spa experience. I had the pleasure of exchnging emails with the General Manager, Mr. Faraone. We booked during the Spa Renovation and had an unpleasant experience, but to the credit of The Homestead ... they actually seemed very concerned about my experience. As Mr. Faraone is a local ... it is evident he takes great pride in the history that surrounds this historic landmark. Our timing was bad when we booked not knowing the Spa was closed and the construction around the property ... but it is evident ... money is now being placed back into this facility. I am sure the recession of '08/'09 was devastating not only to corporate America ... but to places like The Homestead which relies on a healthy economy. The class and concern that was shown by Mr. Faraone was very heart warming which I respect his courage and honesty in dealing with the few mishaps I was confronted with. My only regret was that I was not able to meet him face to face. Hopefully I will have that chance upon my return visit after the renovations are completed. I am grateful I was heard ... and hopefully my experience allows this organization to learn and grow to be the first class resort it always was.

1 Thank A L
Thank you for writing your follow up. I too look forward to meeting you on your next visit to The Homestead and to showing you a truly great experience.
Fairfax Station, Virginia
Reviewed April 30, 2013

A beautiful setting in Virginia mountains. One of the best breakfast bars ever and the homemade donuts were a treat as were the made to order omelets.
The room was spacious with a great coffee maker using those small individual cups. The wall paper should have been repasted in several locations and the wobbly toilet could have been repaired.
The afternoon tea was a delight plus the piano music provided in the main lobby made it an extra special treat.
We chose to do the hike which was excellent with Brian. He made nature come alive and was one of the most entertaining guides I have ever encountered any where. Plus the gorge was beautiful with all its waterfalls.
The fish entrees in the dinning room where very good but the salad was a huge disappointment and had to be sent back due to a garnish that was way past its prime!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
We’re delighted you enjoyed your spring visit to The Homestead. You certainly discovered several of our time-honored traditions, from our bountiful buffet breakfast in the Dining Room and world-famous donuts, to afternoon tea in the Great Hall with live piano music, and to the very popular Gorge Hike with Brian, one of our naturalists. We apologize for the issues you had with your room accommodations and the salad at dinner. Be assured we will take corrective measures to prevent a recurrence in the future and appreciate you bringing these matters to our attention. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hot Springs
Fort Lewis Lodge
Fort Lewis Lodge
#1 of 1 in Millboro
The Anderson Cottage Bed and Breakfast

Been to The Omni Homestead Resort? Share your experiences!