“A classy experience delivered with grace and friendly service”

The Omni Homestead Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Hot Springs
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed May 1, 2013

My wife and I had a wonderful trip, and enjoyed everything from the friendly staff to the beautiful trails surrounding the property. Looking at the other reviews here, I was surprised to find so much negativity. Maybe it was because I had a Groupon and so paid a slightly reduced rate, but the construction did not bother us at all. Is it really fair to criticize a hotel for improving the property? Also, the activities reservation form we were sent notified us ahead of time that the spa was closed for renovations (though I agree they could have done a better job of advertising this). Our room was immaculate, and we found the rest of the property to be in very good condition as well (another source of confusion for me that others critiqued this).

We occupied ourselves with all of the "free" activities (tennis, spring-fed pool and hot tub, chess and books in the library, hikes around the property, movies, enjoying the views, and exploring such a large and historic property). Oh, and of course we gorged ourselves on the huge (and wonderful) buffet breakfast every morning.

A lot of reviewers seemed concerned whether this should be considered a 4 star or 5 star property. To be honest, I don't really know, and don't care. I felt that I definitely got my money's worth. We were the most relaxed we have been in recent memory, and came away with lots of good memories. To me, that counts as a successful vacation!

1  Thank DetBal
HomesteadResort, General Manager at The Omni Homestead Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2013

Thank you for writing such a nice review. We are glad that you had a relaxing and enjoyable vacation. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon so that we may create many more fond memories together!

Write a ReviewReviews (5,607)

Reviewed April 30, 2013

We visited the Homestead April 26-28 2013 and used a Living Social voucher. Overall, we weren't expecting it to be so formal, but it was lovely. We would return.

Activities
We played 9 holes on the old course. The views were great, the course was nice and well maintained. It's very hilly so use a cart unless you're in great shape! We'd golf there again. The pool was warm and clean and felt new and had lots of towels and chairs. The hot tub/ whirlpool part was way too small even for the thin crowd there at this time of year. There is a bar poolside. The Jefferson baths were closed so we missed this attraction. We took a hike on the South trail; there's a lot of uphill and not many stunning views. The best part was walking past the horse paddock and having a horse come over and nuzzle us and lean into our scratching and petting. We're suburban people so this was a nice treat :)

Staff
Definitely Southern hospitality at work here. The valets were friendly and random staff we encountered in the elevators were always friendly and answered our questions happily. The low point in the service was unfortunately the front desk check-in clerk. She was a little unkept looking, made no eye contact, mumbled, and didn't even direct us how to get to our room. The servers at the breakfast buffet were always kind and took great care of us.

Worth mentioning: Anthony (bellhop) was super nice; courteous and friendly. Jacob at the pool was polite, courteous, precise (ie lining up the chairs!) and he handled all sorts of things with finesse.

Room
Quite big; we were on floor 21 in a room with a view. It was a spacious room with a relatively modern bathroom. Hot water in the shower. Counter space was lacking in the bathroom around the sink. There were lots of surfaces for luggage. The windows opened but have no screens. Big comfy bed but terrible pillows. Both my husband and I like firm foam pillows and these were very squishy down pillows. Next time we'd just bring our own from home. The chair and love seat were in new condition. Decor was country chic (think pink, flowers and stripes). The room had a walk-in closet. It would have been perfect with a balcony or patio. Once the sun was up, the room was very bright, even with the shades drawn. Free 512 mb internet in the room; you have the option of paying for the faster connection but the slow one was fine for our needs. No turndown service. Nothing real special from a housekeeping perspective.

Not 5-star. The best food we had was at the breakfast buffet. There was just about everything you could imagine for breakfast; the only thing I couldn't find was smoked salmon and the fixings. Good thick crispy bacon, great donuts, lots of fresh fruit, berries, nuts, cereal, pancakes, waffles, scrambled eggs, pastries, biscuits & gravy, meats and basically everything else you would expect.
On a Friday evening in the off-season, we expected to be able to dine without a reservation and we were mistaken! The pub was completely booked and we were invited to wait for someone to no-show for their reservation. There wasn't anything else appealing to us near the pub so we went to the lobby bar and got food there. My husband ordered a turkey club. At first the price seemed steep but the sandwich was enormous and we soon forgot about the price. We had sandwiches and wraps from Martha's Market before golfing and it was not a good $9 veggie wrap for me... seriously boring. Needed dressing or sauce or goat cheese or something.
They are strict about the jacket requirement in the main dining room for dinner so we didn't dine there. My husband wears a suit to work so he refuses to wear a jacket on vacation ;) We had room service dinner one night. I couldn't find a menu in the room so we looked it up online. The fries were hot and super crispy and the turkey club was fine but the chicken quesadilla lacked cheese and was seasoned with an odd spice. The coconut cake was boring. The $17 pizza had bland sauce, was small and quite undercooked (to the point that I considered sending it back) (plus add auto-grat 17%-18% and a delivery charge for room service).

Bottom line: We would return, especially if we got another deal. We'd bring our own pillows, bring nicer clothing so we fit in better. We'd figure out how to get to Rubino's for a meal and we'd make a reservation in advance for Sam Snead's pub. We would definitely golf again, and we'd try to get to the Jefferson pools.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for a room with a view, it's really very pretty. Higher up we also didn't hea...
3  Thank Canada_girl28

Thank you for providing such a great, comprehensive review of our historic resort! It sounds like you were able to take in a little bit of everything (there is a lot to do here). We appreciate all your observations and suggestions as we value input from our guests and use all comments as tools for training and improvement. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon so that you may enjoy more of our endless opportunities and our new amenities which will be debuting very soon.

Reviewed April 30, 2013

Great old hotel that is in 1st rate condition unlike some other older hotels. Played the Old Course and loved it. Had dinner at Sam Snead's and in the Dining Room. Food was 3-4 star, service was first rate. We hope to go back soon and try the Cascades Course.

1  Thank vdad

Thank you for sharing the highlights of your recent visit to The Homestead. We are thrilled you enjoyed your golfing experience. We take great pride in the Cascades Course, which is nationally ranked and designed by Wm. S. Flynn in 1923. The Old Course at The Homestead boasts the oldest first tee in continuous use in the country. We are glad you also enjoyed many other aspects of our resort as well. We look forward to seeing you on the course again soon!

Reviewed April 30, 2013

I've got to tell you ... After a pretty bizarre third trip to The Homestead with a few minor bumps with the doorman and Spa experience. I had the pleasure of exchnging emails with the General Manager, Mr. Faraone. We booked during the Spa Renovation and had an unpleasant experience, but to the credit of The Homestead ... they actually seemed very concerned about my experience. As Mr. Faraone is a local ... it is evident he takes great pride in the history that surrounds this historic landmark. Our timing was bad when we booked not knowing the Spa was closed and the construction around the property ... but it is evident ... money is now being placed back into this facility. I am sure the recession of '08/'09 was devastating not only to corporate America ... but to places like The Homestead which relies on a healthy economy. The class and concern that was shown by Mr. Faraone was very heart warming which I respect his courage and honesty in dealing with the few mishaps I was confronted with. My only regret was that I was not able to meet him face to face. Hopefully I will have that chance upon my return visit after the renovations are completed. I am grateful I was heard ... and hopefully my experience allows this organization to learn and grow to be the first class resort it always was.

1  Thank A L

Thank you for writing your follow up. I too look forward to meeting you on your next visit to The Homestead and to showing you a truly great experience.

Reviewed April 30, 2013

A beautiful setting in Virginia mountains. One of the best breakfast bars ever and the homemade donuts were a treat as were the made to order omelets.
The room was spacious with a great coffee maker using those small individual cups. The wall paper should have been repasted in several locations and the wobbly toilet could have been repaired.
The afternoon tea was a delight plus the piano music provided in the main lobby made it an extra special treat.
We chose to do the hike which was excellent with Brian. He made nature come alive and was one of the most entertaining guides I have ever encountered any where. Plus the gorge was beautiful with all its waterfalls.
The fish entrees in the dinning room where very good but the salad was a huge disappointment and had to be sent back due to a garnish that was way past its prime!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends

We’re delighted you enjoyed your spring visit to The Homestead. You certainly discovered several of our time-honored traditions, from our bountiful buffet breakfast in the Dining Room and world-famous donuts, to afternoon tea in the Great Hall with live piano music, and to the very popular Gorge Hike with Brian, one of our naturalists. We apologize for the issues you had with your room accommodations and the salad at dinner. Be assured we will take corrective measures to prevent a recurrence in the future and appreciate you bringing these matters to our attention. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Reviewed April 29, 2013

About 8 years ago, we stopped coming to The Homestead because we felt that sadly the service and food was not the value that it had been in the past. We’ve always enjoyed The Homestead and as golfers we love The Old Course and The Cascades. I have been watching the ads depicting new things that are happening at The Homestead and had hopes that new management is trying to save this wonderful Resort in the beautiful Bath County. When a Living Social Deal came up, we decided to try it again. Currently you have to look at The Homestead as a work in progress, but what has been done so far is wonderful. I believe completion is supposed to happen in June 2013 and we are looking forward to another visit soon.
From our experience, this is what you can enjoy until then. Our room was very clean and comfortable. No leaks, or threadbare furnishings, in fact the carpeting was thick and looked very new. This is an exceptionally old building and you will sometimes find that the plumbing does not work properly, the first thing you should do is look at your room and test the plumbing before your bellman leaves. If, you are not satisfied ask him if you might be able to get another room. Occasionally the hotel is filled and there will not be another available, but if they can they will surely try. If they cannot tell them about the plumbing situation immediately and maintenance can come fix the problem. We walked around the resort and the hallways were clean. Some were in better condition than others, but others simply looked historical.
This time, it may have been the Living Social Deal, our fee resort was a flat $25. I wish they would keep this fee, because I do feel that 15% can get rather pricey for what you get. I think that the $25 per day is a fair price for what you can manage to use during that time. I say that because I know while the afternoon tea is included, especially in the summer time, you may not be back from your activities in time to enjoy the tea. Newspapers and coffee in the lobby are often included in luxury resort fees, however they often charge for wifi in the room and sometimes per device. Parking and valet parking is also included in the fee. I feel that the $25 was a fair fee. In fact, during seasons where the pool and other activities can used more, perhaps that flat fee could be increased slightly. On the other hand, charging a percentage of the cost of the room is unfair to those who are staying in a larger room or are not on a discounted plan, because they not getting any more for the resort fee than those who are paying less for the room.
Our meals were outstanding. We ate at Sam Snead’s Tavern the first night. Our service was prompt through the entire meal. I had the trout which was wonderful. We shared the Pimiento Cheese Sliders, which I would go back and have as a lunch. Lunch was a bit more tricky for us after we got back from playing golf. That will be remedied when the kitchen renovation is complete at the Casino. I think they are building a restaurant where the President’s Lounge used to be and there seems to be outdoor decking, so that will be an added choice (hopefully for the lunch crowd). Had we known they served food at the Lobby Bar, we may have eaten there, or we could have gone to Rubino’s since it is open on weekends, but we chose sandwiches at Martha’s kitchen and ate on the porch since it was a beautiful day and that was fine for us. We had dinner in the Main Dining room on Saturday night and it was wonderful! Again, service was prompt, we did not have to wait for our food and the menu was outstanding. Since I had the beef short rib and my husband chose the Cioppino, we each had a glass of wine to go with the meal rather than a bottle. I had a salad, he had soup and even though the desserts looked good we were too full to order one. The cost of our meal was not any more than a lot of restaurants that we go to. We did not dance this time, but enjoyed especially watching young people dancing with their grandparents, or little girls dancing with their Dads. The breakfast buffet in the Main Dining
The Homestead offers unique activities that many resorts do not offer. The outdoor pool is warm enough to swim year round. The new water slide is tucked up in the mountain with large trees around it. I hardly even noticed it until I got out near the pool. My husband and I go for the golf which is outstanding on either course. You can go horseback riding, play tennis, croquet, go fly-fishing, biking, hike the gorge and many other types of activities in the summer. They have a Kidsclub available to keep the kids content so that Mom and Dad can have a real break. I am looking forward to the new spa opening.
If I were to make one suggestion, it would be to provide people with a little more information when they arrive. My husband & I have been there before so we know how to get around. However if you have never been there before you get confused about the different wings, you have a terrible time trying to find your way through the spa area to Sam Snead’s. We helped a lot of lost people find their way. A map of the building would be especially helpful. It would also be helpful if lunch choices were more clear in the Dining Options. For example, A la Carte Menu under Lobby Bar, sounded more like appetizers to us until we looked at the menu. I don’t think many people thought about going out to the pool to get something to eat, unless they were swimming.
I think it is a good idea that The Homestead is becoming more family friendly. The new spa area will allow those who don’t want to be around a lot of kids to get away from the noise. We are looking forward to another visit in the near future.

Room Tip: Even numbered room in West Wing have nice view.
1  Thank Trudy S
HomesteadResort, General Manager at The Omni Homestead Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2013

We are glad to have welcomed you home after some time away. It is good to know that you enjoyed your room accommodations, meals, and activities, especially your golfing experience. We appreciate your observations and suggestions which allow us to improve the guest experience. We have designed a new map which will include all our new offerings and it should be published very soon and will be given out at the Front Desk. We are also planning a new signage system that will be very helpful to our guests when exploring this historic property. The current Daily Resort Charge is a 15% fee which is added to the nightly rate and covers high-speed wireless internet access in guest rooms and resort public areas, in-room coffee, USA Today (Mon.-Fri.), afternoon tea, nightly movies, property shuttles to all resort recreational activities, access to the Fitness Center and pools (indoor and Allegheny Springs), tennis courts (seasonal), and gratuities for housekeeping staff. Parking is $5 for valet service or self parking. Our $25 million transformation of our Canyon Ranch SpaClub, new dining venues and other amenities will be complete later this spring. We look forward to welcoming you back to experience our “Next Chapter.”

Reviewed April 28, 2013

We had a wonderful stay at the resort! The staff was excellent and the food in the restaurants was much better than average. The breakfast buffet in the main dining room was the best we have ever had. From asparagus to fresh doughnuts, it was on the buffet.The rooms were clean and spacious. We had a balcony which was comfortable and private.The hiking trails around the property are excellent. Be sure to stop at the front desk and get a map. Valet parking was only $5 per night, which was a nice surprise. Would definitely refer friends and look forward to going back in the near future!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank southerncomforts

Thank you for visiting The Homestead. We are very pleased you enjoyed your experience and we hope to welcome you back soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hot Springs
#1 of 4 in Clifton Forge
The Inn at Mountain Quest
The Inn at Mountain Quest
#1 of 6 in Marlinton

Been to The Omni Homestead Resort? Share your experiences!