“The Homestead”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Greensboro, North Carolina
“The Homestead”
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Beautiful resort hotel and facilities nestled in the Virginia mountains. Spacious rooms. Very comfortable. Great golf courses. Delicious food. Caution: do not use GPS for routing information to get there if coming from the south. Use directions provided by the hotel. GPS will take you on a very winding, unmarked mountain road with no guardrails. It is a beautiful drive, but I would not do it at night or during bad weather.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Barney B
HomesteadResort, General Manager at The Omni Homestead Resort, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Thank you for writing about your visit to The Homestead on business. We are delighted you enjoyed your accommodations, our golf courses, and delicious food. We do recommend that travelers to The Homestead use the driving directions we have listed on our web site. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (645)
Washington DC
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Service: so-so - so I'll break it down.
Front desk: Good
Valet/bell service: Good
Dining room: working hard, but not nearly enough staff - s-l-o-w (over 30 minutes before first visit after being seated) I love a long dinner, but this was long because the servers were too busy and the kitchen must have been behind.
Lobby bar: 37 minutes from order to drink delivery at table. Working hard, not enough staff (btw, drink order was wrong - but she fixed it fast)
Rabinos - felt like I was at Denny's, not a resort golf club.
Sam's tavern - excellent all around.
Housekeeping - very good.
The shops - reminder to staff: you're at what bills itself as a high-end service resort. You don't need to suck up to the patrons, but at least be cheerful and 'happy' to help them.

The food was mostly very good. Good filet cooked MR like I asked. Cheese plate in the lobby bar was sad. Breakfast continues to be strong and the donuts are stellar. Please don't take away the donuts.

Room: Resort preferred. A great bed. Plenty of space for just two people. Really high ceilings. Pretty room - very clean.

Lots of construction going on. Someone probably should have told us during reservations. I love the Homestead so I am probably more forgiving than most guests but it would be nice to have a heads up. It will be nice when it's all done.

Note: We were worried they brought the resort down a rung by putting in a lazy river - but they did a great job. The additions look fine and the new pool is very nice. It seems to be open even off season since it's spring-heated.

Going back? For sure. I hope they work out the service and get back to their old standards. Customer service training for some of the staff is necessary. Or maybe they just don't like working in the service industry.

The grounds are still stellar as is the Cascades golf course. Beautiful.

1 Thank DACWDC
Thank you for your comments regarding your most recent stay at The Homestead. Guest feedback such as yours is a valuable training tool and we appreciate the opportunity to improve our guest experiences. We are delighted you will be returning and all of us look forward to welcoming you back!
High Point, North Carolina
Reviewed April 22, 2013

This is a first class resort with beautiful amenities and a first class golf course (The Cascades). Our room was in the old part of the hotel and very historic feeling. Room included gas logs and a perfect mattress. Sam Snead Tavern serves a casual and superb meal.
Our theme for the weekend, however, was "not hot enough." From the frigid Great Hall (no airlock to keep out cold temps), to the cold blueberry cobbler, to the lack of hot water pressure in our room, we just struggled to stay warm (unusually cool weekend in April). Thankfully, the staff was responsive and did all they could to meet our needs. We would return, but probably in the summer!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
HomesteadResort, General Manager at The Omni Homestead Resort, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Thank you for your comments and we are glad that you enjoyed our famous Cascades Golf Course, your room accommodations (with the exception of the water pressure) and your meal at Sam Snead’s, in particular the steaks and Caesar Salad. We appreciate your comments and suggestions as we are continuously looking for ways to improve. We look forward to welcoming you back in the summer when we will have more than 30 activities from which to choose.
Greensboro, NC
Reviewed April 22, 2013

The Homestead is a beautiful and historic resort with plenty of recreational activities, particularly when the weather is nice. Most the staff we encountered were extremely pleasant and helpful. However, the food service we experienced was probably the worst we have ever encountered.

Drink orders were taken person by person, meaning the waiter would take a drink order, retrieve a glass of wine, then take the next drink order, and so on. This process was lengthy and inefficient, but it turned out to be the smoothest part of the meal.

Our party of seven included two small children and three gluten-free diners. The gluten-free diners identified themselves and asked questions about menu items to be sure they could order the right items or order items with only slight modifications, like leaving off bread or a sauce made with flour. It was easy stuff that even chain restaurants handle with no issue.

We were at the 1.5 hour mark by the time the wait staff was able to bring bread to the table (for our gluten consuming diners). The wait staff never offered gluten-free bread, although many other diners told us later they were offered that option. Items that were ordered as gluten-free arrived without the proper modifications. Because the pacing was so glacial, our gluten-free diners did not hold up the meal by ordering corrected items.

The terrible service was even more baffling considering the small children in our party. Their small pizza ordered from the kids menu took almost 2 hours to be delivered, which has to be on a top ten no-no list for restaurants.

Ultimately, the meal took over 3 hours, although I was gone long before that. Our kids were not going to make it that long. We were a table of 7, seated directly beside a table of 8. We were seated simultaneously, but their pacing was a good 45 minutes of ours. We spoke to wait staff and the floor manager (nicely) multiple times. They were good at giving apologies, but the service never reached an acceptable pacing.

I don't object to a relaxed, slower paced meals. In fact, I like them, but this meal's pacing was well beyond relaxing, particularly with small children at the table. This meal was a disaster.

The following day, we ordered lunch for four at their lobby bar. Three meals were delivered 20 minutes later. After a 10 minute wait, I asked the waitress about my lunch. She had no idea that she had failed to serve a lunch to me. She either didn't write it down or didn't enter the order with the kitchen. It was further evidence there are serious issues in the food service at The Homestead.

I am rating this property with two stars, only because the rest of the staff was so pleasant, but in truth, this property barely rates 1.5 stars.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Patrick E
Thank you for visiting The Homestead. We appreciate you taking the time to post your review and for being so candid in your remarks. We understand you were disappointed with your dining experience and the service you received. Please accept our sincere apologies for these shortcomings and for not meeting your expectations or ours of impeccable service. Our Executive Chef has five types of gluten free bread available now and we are happy to accommodate any guest with special dietary needs. We hope you will visit us again in the future as we would welcome an opportunity to provide you with the legendary service for which we are so well known.
Fairfax, Virginia
Reviewed April 21, 2013

My sister and I took our mother to The Homestead for a birthday celebration. I had been before and found the hotel to be just as beautiful as I remembered.

The good:

The rooms are large and well appointed. The beds and pillows are comfortable. The bathroom was spacious and offered a large sink and counter that could accommodate plenty of products.

The lobby, parlors, dinning room and views are magnificent.

The service in the main dinning room is impeccable. Other resorts would do well to come here and learn from the masters. From the maître d, the wait staff, and Kathy who made the morning omelets, everything was first-class.

We scheduled spa services; not knowing the accommodations were makeshift (new spa to be opened in a few months). However, Vicki went out of her way to ensure we were comfortable, finding robes and bringing hot tea to keep us warm while we waited for our treatments. The services were excellent and the spa prices were reduced to offset the inconveniences. Coming from an area ripe with great spas, I still felt the prices were a tad high given the lack of amenities.

Afternoon tea is lovely. A pianist serenades the guests while they enjoy sandwiches and sweets. This is a great way to encourage all to take advantage of the beautiful lobby and veranda.

The Cascades Gorge hike was beautiful and well guided by Brian. He is a bit of a ham and kept the group educated and entertained throughout the tour.

I encourage guests to consider the History Tour. It is long at 2 hours, but informative and provides a great opportunity to explore the hotel.

Areas for improvement:

The service was uneven. We asked a number of questions at the front desk and found some of the staff unable to answer the simplest of questions. We made dinner reservations at Sam Snead’s and upon arrival at the appointed time, were provided three cramped bar stools in a very lively bar. The hostess didn’t seem to care about our concerns; luckily the manager stepped in to offer more suitable seating.

The hotel was nowhere near full, yet we were given a room overlooking the roof of one of the wings. As far as I am concerned, this makes no sense. Why not have your guests in rooms with the best views? That is certainly a better way to encourage return visits.

There are not many choices for full-service lunch. I understand that will be corrected once the renovations are complete.

My traveling companions disagree a little with me, but I think the food needs to be better. Breakfast is wonderful, but I found dinner to be a bit disappointing, especially given the high price. Again, I come from a large metro area, where rent is extremely high, yet top-rated restaurants are able to provide much better quality at these price points.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for choosing The Homestead to celebrate your mother’s birthday. We are glad you enjoyed many of the traditions and amenities which make our historic resort so special. We are sorry we did not meet your expectations with your room accommodations and at Sam Snead’s Tavern. Our Training and Culinary Departments have reviewed your comments and suggestions and will use them as tools for improvement. We hope you will return again when our renovations are complete so you may experience our new Canyon Ranch SpaClub at The Homestead as well as our new restaurant venues.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 20, 2013

Wow ... Where do I begin. Returned for a third time and it has gone so DOWN HILL from the prior two trips. We will start out with the GOOD however. Room was really nice, one small problem with water in shower ... scalding hot one second then freezing cold the other ... but second day it was fine. Probably too many toilet flushes LOL. Sam Snead Tavern Meal ... Off the charts GOOD. Trout and filet 5 stars. The scenery ... really nice too. OK ... here we go.
The Spa Experience ... YOU CAN'T MAKE THIS STUFF UP ! First .. Spa was closed do to renovation .. did not know when booking. Arrived Saturday with girlfriend and inquired on a haircut for me and a Pedicure for her. Mind you this 5 Star Resort has relocated it's Spa in the Wing on the 10th Floor and is using hotel rooms for it's services ... WOW, you cant be serious. Haircut .. was told "Oh yeah we can cut your hair ... but we can't wash it ! Cost $ 48.00 ... I laughed and said "I pass" Pedicure ... was talked into 70 minute experience for $ 138.00. We booked her for Monday AM. She arrived Monday AM and was taken down the hotel/spa wing to a room with 3 other guys at first. (Is that a way to get Spa ready ?) The woman then said ... Oh no ... take her to the other room. Upon entering ... she noticed NO pedicure chair but sat on the chair or couch that was in the room. Srike 1. The Tech offered her a cup of Hot Tea ... she said Yes ... Returned with a paper cup filled with luke warm water from the bathroom faucett. WOW, true story ! I could only then think of Joe Hardy from Nemacolin Woodlands experience. I imagined his fine china and probably imported English Tea also... now that's a 5 Star experience. My girlfriend then noticed the equipment soaking in a hotel drinking glass ! Are you kidding me ! She said ... is it sterile ? The tech said " Oh yes" WOW ... I will never drink from a hotel glass anywhere again ! With no pedicure chair she asked "Where will I put my feet ?" The Tech said .. " You can rest them on my knees !" WOW. The straw that broke the back was when the Tech returned with a silver salad bowl to wash her feet ! My girlfriend said " I can't go through with this and I want my money back" The Tech said ... "You are not the first to complain" When receiving her money back ... the others said nothing as their heads were down in embarrassment. I am shocked the board of health hasn't shut them down. They should have closed half the existing Spa for renovation with a sign saying "Excuse our dust" while they serviced the patrons on the other side of the current Spa. Not a Spa in a make shift hotel wing charging FULL PRICES. Hard to believe.

Now the Doorman Experience. Rushed back from hike to go to Jefferson Pools on Sunday as we found out they were closed on Monday. Car pulled up ... valet waited for me by driver door ... but doorman 10 feet away stood there as we both walked to vehicle. I opened her door but thought ... wow ... most 5 star resorts do that for you. We drove to Pools and almost fainted when we saw those 2 stuctures. Those glamorous pictures on the website are not what they look like in real life. Hasn't been painted in years. Steps ready to fall over. Roof looked shaky. Almost looked like a cow barn at this so called 5 Star Resort. I hope at end I can add those pictures to this review. You will be shocked ! Upon entering the office ... the furniture was ripped and looked 60 years old. There was a suplher smell which I get it ... It was in the water. The conditions looked so bad ... we did not want to chance this experience. We left and I could only think of Nemacolin Woodlands again saying ... " Would this structure be on Joe Hardy's property ? I KNOW NOT.

Then finally ... we we going to stay one more night so that morning I wanted to tell the front desk we make leave early ... he said he may have to charge us for the extra night ... I did not complain but said have the mangaer call ... because we hadn't had this Spa exerience yet. After she returned 3 hours later with her Spa story ... I hit the roof and said "We are out of here!" Called the front desk and he said he had not heard from the manager but as soon as I said I'm disgusted ... to his credit he said ... "No problem sir... if you had a bad experience ... there will be no charge."

Upon leaving ... Round 2 with the Doorman ... Still did not offer to open passenger side door as I said in my loud voice " Let me get that for you honey !" As we drove away laughing.

As a Financial Advisor with a major brokerage firm, we have had several Chairman's trips at The Homestead. They were all first class. I'm not sure what has happened but I feel for the local businesses that may suffer because of the decline in their service. Maybe this renovation once completed can get them back on track ... but I may never see it again. All in all ... we did have fun together and will forever have these stories to tell. Almost surreal huh. Good luck in your travels ... I hope they read this review and make some serious changes.

4 Thank Kurt K
HomesteadResort, General Manager at The Omni Homestead Resort, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Thank you for writing about your trip to the Homestead and for being so candid in your remarks. We are sorry we did not meet your expectations, and our own high standards, particularly with your spa experience in its temporary location. I regret I personally was not available when you checked out and that we did not make more of an effort to have another manager speak with you so that we could make amends. Our Front Office Manager did attempt to call you after your departure. We also received your survey, and you should be receiving our written response in the mail very soon. Our Canyon Ranch SpaClub will open in the very near future with signature treatments and an expansive new fitness area. Aquavana, a European-inspired oasis exclusive to Canyon Ranch, features experiential rains, herbal laconium and aromatic steam room. The adults-only Spa Garden will feature our indigenous hot springs, River Reflexology Walk, naturally pressurized deluge shower, dry sauna and a whirlpool. We hope you will return once our renovations are complete as we would welcome an opportunity to provide you with a truly great Homestead and Canyon Ranch Spa experience, as well as regain your goodwill and confidence.
Roanoke, Virginia, United States
Reviewed April 19, 2013 via mobile

We returned last weekend for my birthday celebration and our second visit did not disappoint!! The service was amazing...every request was met in a timely fashion and the hotel was in great condition!! Yes, there are renovations and construction underway but we did not find this to be inconvenient or a disturbance at all. We are simply excited to visit agin to take advantage of the new amenities!! Don't miss The Homestead! We cannot wait to return!!!

• Stayed April 2013
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at The Homestead. We're thrilled that you chose to celebrate such a special occasion at our resort. It is good to know you enjoyed your visit and we are excited that you can’t wait to return! We look forward to welcoming you back again soon so that you may enjoy more of our endless opportunities and our new amenities which will be debuting very soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hot Springs
#1 of 1 in Millboro
The Hummingbird Inn
The Hummingbird Inn
#1 of 1 in Goshen

Been to The Omni Homestead Resort? Share your experiences!