“Home away from home”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Hot Springs
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Home away from home”
Reviewed April 2, 2013

We have been to the resort many times. The staff always make you feel at home. The indoor and outdoor pools are fed by the hot spring, and are great for kids. The ski resort is a low key place for families with young skiers, limited for more advanced skiers. They have a spa, bowling alley, horse rides, and a great gorge hike. Food is pricey, but there are some less expensive alternatives at Martha's Market. We love Sam Snead's, and have never had a bad meal there. The main Dining Room is nice, with good service. The 1766 Grill was the most disappointing experience we have ever had there. The service was bad from about mid meal on.

Room Tip: Choose a room that's not close to Great Hall
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank DStrassy
HomesteadResort, General Manager at The Omni Homestead Resort, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Thank you for writing about your visits to The Homestead. We enjoy hearing from our long-time guests as your opinions are important to us. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon, and many times! (The former bowling alley location is now being converted into a state-of-the-art fitness center for our Canyon Ranch SpaClub which will be opening in a few weeks.)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (645)
Alexandria, Virginia, United States
Reviewed April 1, 2013

The homestead is a great place to stay. There's a lot that can be confusing or unknown when you stay there. Last year my son really enjoyed their game room and bowling alley. We returned this year to find them under renovation and closed. Not something they told us about when we booked. Also, you are kind of on your own for lunch at that homestead but on our recent visit, my son stumbled upon a buffet lunch in a room behind the bar. When I asked about it I was told that sometimes they set up a buffet lunch ( price was reasonable) based on the head count in the hotel. That was something that I was never informed of and would have taken advantage of had we known. Also, this year we returned to Sam Sneads tavern only to find the menu changed, it was more expensive with less selection. On a positive note, we really enjoyed their super heated outdoor pool. Wonderful to swim outdoors and watch the snow falling on mountains. Also enjoyed the new skating rink. So my advice to anyone planning a visit, check and double check on what is available, what is closed, look at menus and ask about the buffet lunch. Also, I really enjoyed the breakfast and dinner in the main dining room, contrary to other reviews. Yes, it's southern food but plenty of fresh fruits and veggies, good selection of dishes. It's not all country biscuits and gravy.
What I really love about the homestead is that it is kid friendly without feeling like your trapped eating funnel cakes all day or ordering off laminated menus at sticky tables. You and your kids can have a good time.

2 Thank Kathryn P
Thank you for writing about your recent visit. We are delighted you enjoyed our new heated outdoor pool (now open year-round), ice-skating rink, dinner and breakfast in our historic Main Dining Room, and the Lobby Bar buffet lunch. We thank you for your observations and suggestions and will strive to do a better job on informing our guests of dining options. The former bowling alley location is being converted into a state-of-the-art fitness center for our new Canyon Ranch SpaClub which will be debuting in a few weeks. We are hoping to make plans for a family game center that will feature bowling and other games sometime in the future. We are excited to announce that we will be opening a miniature golf course this summer which families will be sure to enjoy. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed March 29, 2013

My husband, step-kids and I have been to the Homestead for the last three years, after holding our wedding at the resort. We absolutely love the resort, the spectacular grounds, and numerous activities. We also just love to sit around the huge communal bonfires, make s'mores and drink wine/hot chocolate, while the kids play old fashion lawn games like corn hole and croquet. The front porch is fantastic.

That said, on our most recent trip, we were disappointed by the food options. Sam Sneed's Tavern was excellent, as was the breakfast buffet (expensive but worth it). We ordered room service one evening and frankly it was terrible--I was surprised at the poor quality of the food given the resorts reputation. The pasta bowls were terrible--don't order them. We also ate one evening in the formal dining room--while the service and atmosphere was good, the food was mediocre given the price. The food did not meet our expectations of fine dining.

Overall we still had a great time and highly recommend a trip to the Homestead. Just be aware of the lack of food choices. As for the Homestead Management, I hope that you incorporate the resort's food and dining experience into an overall customer experience strategy that better suits your brand.

3 Thank GWong2908
It is always good to hear from our repeat guests as we value your opinion. We are pleased you enjoy so many things which make our resort special, from our expansive front porch, to playing old-fashioned games, to enjoying family time with s’mores around a bonfire. We are sorry we did not meet your expectations on this visit in some other respects. Be assured our Culinary Department has reviewed your comments and suggestions and will use them as tools for improvement. We are excited about our new restaurants which will be opening in a few weeks and hope that you will return to experience them.
Reviewed March 28, 2013

We are members of the owners club at the Homestead. 34 houses up the hill from the hotel. We have partial ownership and get 27 days a year of use. Upgrades to the Homestead are welcomed and seem good. A lot of us bought into the owners club because of the golf experience. The Homestead has closed the Lower Cascades, one of it's three courses. It was an interesting and fun course to play. This closure will put more pressure on the two remaining courses, making them more crowded and slower to play. This seems a huge mistake.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank JFMey
HomesteadResort, General Manager at The Omni Homestead Resort, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Thank you for sharing your opinion. We are very proud of the Cascades Course, designed in 1923 by William S. Flynn. The Cascades has been ranked among the “Best Resort Courses” by Golfweek and opens for the season this week. The historic Old Course also offers exceptional play and boasts the nation’s oldest first tee in continuous use. Both courses are consistently ranked among the finest golf courses in the country. While golf used to be the main focus of our guests at The Homestead and it is still an important mainstay, over the last decade interest of our guests has also shifted to other recreational pursuits, and we have accommodated that interest by expanding our outdoor recreational program. We are now proud to offer Falconry, archery, canoeing, kayaking, mountain biking, nature hikes, paintball, hayrides, Segway tours, Back Country Driving School, water slides and lazy river, and much much more. These new activities are in addition to our traditional offerings which make The Homestead so special such as golf on two championship courses, Equestrian activities, Shooting Club, fly-fishing, tennis, the Spa, etc. We are excited to announce we will also be opening a miniature golf course this summer which will be very popular with families. Since there is now so much more to do at The Homestead, we are able to accommodate play on our two championship courses.
Reviewed March 28, 2013

We are at The Homestead now, on the third day of our five-day family vacation (my mother, myself, and my 2 teenaged sons). I have heard a lot about The Homestead over the years, so we decided to give it a try for Spring Break.

In a word: Disappointing. It's pricey, but there's nothing at all special about it, and in fact it's a bit of a stretch to call it a resort. To me, a resort is a place where you can sit by a pool and be served food or drinks, a place where there are multiple delicious dining choices, a place of luxury. This is more like a fairly nice hotel, with a variety of outside vendors offering a la carte activities - some of which are worth the money and some of which are outrageously over-priced.

THE GOOD:
+ SERVICE: The staff here is excellent, very friendly and they really do go the extra mile to tend to your needs. I found this across the board (eg wait staff, spa staff, check-in, concierge, etc). They really make the place.

+ SWIMMING: They have a lovely heated indoor pool, AND a nice outdoor heated pool with hot tub. It is in the 30's right now, and we have all been quite comfortable swimming in the outdoor pool complex (there is a small skating rink in this complex too). In the summer, there is also a slide and a lazy river in the outdoor pool complex - which look like they'd be great. There is no extra charge for any swimming.

THE OKAY:
* ACTIVITIES: There are a lot of activity choices. However, many are not available right now (this was not advertised on the website), some are not as cool as they may seem, and some are ridiculously priced - even for a resort.. For example, right now, and again this is not noted on the website, paintball is not available, nor is the climbing wall. (And of course fishing, kayaking, tennis, golf are not available - but I figured that since it's quite cold.) Another example - my kids did the archery which they were excited about - but they said it was repetitive and tedious - you shoot four arrows, then wait for everyone else to shoot. Then shoot your same 4 hours at he same targets. Today we have Falconry, which I am very excited about, but it's quite expensive ($89/person) and I was told that I could not go and watch my kids / take photos, unless I paid the same. Also if you want to hike the gorge, you are required to pay $31/ person. I find both of these policies to be outrageous.

* THE JEFFERSON SOAK: For $17 you can take a shuttle 5 miles and soak for an hour in a hot spring pool. The soak itself is fabulously relaxing, but the building where it is is decrepit, shabby, and the changing rooms have holes in the walls. Really?

* THE SPA: This should actually be awesome when the renovation is complete (again, it is not indicated on the website that neither the new nor the old spa are open). Right now there is a relocated spa in a series of rooms. I had the most uncomfortable UNrelaxing pedicure in the history of ever. This was not the fault of the aesthetician - she was great. it's because there are not massage chairs for the pedi, or recliners, or even elevated chairs; you sit in a straightbacked wing chair with your feet in a bowl of water (seriously). You put your legs on the provider's lap to have your nails painted. Just super unpleasant. I gently complained, and was told by several people that they "know it's uncomfortable, but when the new spa opens we will have cutting edge equipment". Which does me no good.

THE BAD:

- THE FOOD! By far the worst part of the trip, and the reason I won't come back. (Read the reviews here.) Breakfast is a pretty nice (though not exactly resort-like luxury or upscale food). Lunch can be grabbed at Martha's Market or the Pub. But there are only 2 choices for dinner (other than room service) - the Main Dining Room and Sam Snead's Tavern. The Main Dining Room is needlessly formal (dresses and jackets) and overpriced - but the reason we didn't go is that we checked out the menu ... very limited and Southern. (NOT resort-like, not special.) We went to Sam Snead's once and would never go back - the food was not great. That leaves room service or driving offsite. Also if you're looking for healthy or vegetarian you'll be hard pressed to find much, and there is nothing vegan at all. Just super old-school, Southern comfort food, boring, unexciting, far-from-nouveau, , and overpriced to boot. See the menu and prices on their website.

BOTTOM LINE: Pleasant, nice, but NOTHING special that warrants these prices or even the trip. Summer should be nicer, and the new spa looks like it will be great.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Brookejm
Thank you for sharing the positives and negatives regarding your recent stay. We are glad you enjoyed the friendly service of our staff and swimming in our indoor pool and new heated outdoor pool. We are sorry we did not meet your expectations because of the renovations and that you did not get to experience many of our outdoor activities due to the weather. We invite you back to experience The Homestead when our Canyon Ranch SpaClub and Spa Garden debut in a few weeks, as well as several new restaurant venues for our guests’ enjoyment. Our Culinary Department has noted your suggestions and will use them as tools for improvement.
Annapolis, Maryland
Reviewed March 26, 2013

I stayed last week (3/22) and was told by the reservationist that skiing, tubing, outdoor pool, outdoor spa, and indoor pool were all available. Recognize, the reservation was made two days before the arrival so you would expect the information would be correct. After the 4 hour drive from the DC area, I found that (i) no skiing (ii) no tubing (iii) outdoor pool closed; (iv) outdoor spa closed-- and drained; and (v) indoor pool open-- but by open, I mean you have to walk through a construction zone and then the indoor pool wall had a huge breach where a constant plume of hot steam poured. I brought all of this to the manager's notice -- I was told "if I could make it snow for you I would." She also suggested for entertainment that I try the bar. (this after advising her I had teenagers with me...). Not really the managers or hotels fault-- it was the reservationist. As a test, I called again today to pretend I was placing an order and was told that all activities were again available today. I doubt it. I suggest you confiirm what is available before making the drive. Otherwise, between staying at the Homestead or home-- I'd suggest you stay home 'stead.

Try the Greenbrier. An amazing hotel with more to do and better quality-- truly. At least they are accurate in what is available.

8 Thank w l
Thank you for writing about your stay. Unfortunately, many of our outdoor activities are weather dependent. Because of some recent spring snows, we were able to keep the ski slopes open until April 3, after a phenomenal season. However, there were a couple of warmer days in March that prevented us from providing a nice ski or tubing experience and we had to make a decision not to open. We apologize we did not meet your expectations and invite you to return with your family this summer when our renovations will be complete. We will be offering more than 30 activities from which to choose including our new Allegheny Springs outdoor pool with water slides, lazy river, whirlpool and kids play zone.
Kenbridge, Virginia
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Came here as part of a marriage retreat weekend getaway sponsored by work. Overall I was pleased. The only down sides was that a lot of construction going on with their pools and hot springs which was disappointing. The pools that were open were nice.

The room was great. The only complaint I had with the room was the wallpaper was peeling. Other than that I was a big fan of the soap. It smelled like cinnamon. Pretty nice.

The food here is expensive but good. Oh, and Everything in that area closes by 9 -10 at night. We didn't realize this and were wandering around desperate for food. Finally the waitress hooked us up and got us a ham and cheese sandwich and turkey and cheese. It costs around $35 which was a bit much. Fortunately the sandwiches were huge and came with chips and potato salad.

Overall, don't eat there but go somewhere else before 9. We had a great stay and would go again.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BetsyB21
Thank you for sharing comments from your recent stay at The Homestead. We hope you will visit us in the future once our renovations are complete. In addition to the new heated outdoor family pool, our new Canyon Ranch SpaClub when it debuts in a few weeks will offer a stunning Spa Garden, an adults-only haven that welcomes guests year-round. Guests may take a dip in the natural hot springs in the centuries-old octagon pool. The Spa Garden will also feature a river rock reflexology path, spring-fed pool and whirlpool, Finnish-style sauna, cabanas, and naturally-pressurized geothermal deluge showers. New restaurants will soon be opening as well. We look forward to welcoming you back again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hot Springs
#1 of 1 in Millboro
The Hummingbird Inn
The Hummingbird Inn
#1 of 1 in Goshen

Been to The Omni Homestead Resort? Share your experiences!