“very Nice resort”

The Omni Homestead Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Hot Springs
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We spent three night at The Homestead Resort in February and had a wonderful time. The resort has added a new outdoor heated pool and 'hot tub'. The pool is kept quite warm, I heard that it was above 90 degrees although I am not for sure as I did not ask the hotel officials. We had a blast being in the pool while it was snowing all around us and the top of our heads was covered with snow although the rest of us was in toasty warm water.
The spa was under construction and they had taken over some guest rooms for a temporary spa. It definitely did not have the feel of a luxury spa, so we look forwards to going back in the future to see the finished spa, it should be very nice once they are done with the renovations.
We also tried skiing, which was OK. The runs are short and very few, I there are only two or three runs which end up down the hill within a couple of minutes so it is not very challenging or long.
Overall, the resort is a fun getaway for a nice weekend.

Room Tip: We have been to The Homestead for many years and we have never had a bad room. The worse I would sa...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
HomesteadResort, General Manager at The Omni Homestead Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2013

Thank you for writing about your visit in February. We are delighted you enjoyed swimming in our new heated outdoor swimming pool and whirlpool while it was snowing! Our new Spa, in partnership with Canyon Ranch, will be opening in a few weeks and we hope you will return for another getaway weekend and experience our new amenities.

Write a ReviewReviews (5,516)

Reviewed March 14, 2013

I recently spent three days at The Homestead. There were good and bad parts of the stay. The room was pretty and clean. The bathroom was modern. The hallways were a bit loud though. I could hear people speaking and laughing in the room next to mine but was able to drown out the noise by turning on the TV in my room at a low volume.

Yes, there is construction going on at this property. I knew of the spa closing and didn't mind the rest of the construction, after all, construction=renovation. I might have felt differently if my room were near enough to hear the construction noise.

Food was good but pricy.

Some of the staff were friendly and professional but there seemed to be an attitude of apathy from other staff members with whom I interacted. One staff member behaved especially unprofessionally, what I would call rude. Only a few staff members acted like they were interested in making my stay a special one. The Breakfast waiter who asked if I wanted marshmallows in my hot chocolate was the best. He made it a good morning! The retail person who let me try on clothing in her store right at closing time, although I didn't know they were closing, was another nice person.

Overall, I liked parts of the visit like the good food and pretty furnishings. Any expectations I had toward the treat of staying at an upscale resort where dashed by the attitudes of the several apathetic staff people I met, however. I was a repeat business visitor and didn't see as many of the special touches that made my first stay there a delight. It seemed like the special touches that made it a premium travel destination were being well paid for by the guests either via the resort fee, through other charges, or they had to be special ordered.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank 57513Steph12345

Thank you for sharing the positives and negatives of your visit. It is our goal to provide each guest with a first-class experience and Southern hospitality. We value input from our guests and use all comments as tools for improvement. We hope you will return to The Homestead again in the future and experience our new Canyon Ranch SpaClub and other enhancements.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

From my first glimpse of The Homestead I new my stay was going to be a grand experience. I had arrived and I felt welcomed from the moment I stepped foot on the front porch. The rows of white rocking chairs were greeting me as if to say, "Come sit for a spell." I couldn't wait to walk through the door to see what was next...The lobby is what one would expect from a Grand Dame hotel, it is absolutely beautiful! There was a gentleman playing the piano and to my surprise, high tea was being served in it's full regalia. I felt transported to another time!
The staff, service, rooms, restaurants and grounds of this hotel are all wonderful. I highly recommend experiencing this place. Go and play a round of golf, sit in the beautiful lobby and people watch, enjoy a wonderful meal in the dining room. So much fun!
Even in all of the formality and traditions of this beautiful hotel, the warmth of southern hospitality is conveyed. Homestead makes one feel as if all of this is meant for you and to be thoroughly enjoyed. Don't mind if I do...

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends

Thank you for your wonderful endorsement. We are pleased you enjoyed some of the unique features that make our resort so special, from our expansive front porch and old-fashioned rocking chairs, to afternoon tea in the Great Hall. We look forward to welcoming you back for another relaxing stay!

Reviewed March 14, 2013

My wife and I looked on their website and saw this beautiful resort up in the mountains of Virginia. After driving through farmland and the mountain range, we came down one mountain’s backside and saw this humongous red brick building – 500 guest rooms. It looked so out of place. The town only has about 10 buildings. The resort was beautiful (if you do not mind the modern look) and the rooms and great halls were clean and very well designed. There is much available for the guest to take part in - spring fed pools, hot springs, spa, afternoon tea, ice skating, movies at night, its own golf course, restaurants, a little ski hill, snowmobiling, etc.

Our problems were with the Registration and Activities staff, and the added costs for some of the activities. I made 3 phone calls to the resort and asked a bunch of questions, and though they did not lie, they did not tell us all that we needed to know. For example,

- “My wife and I would like the spa package.” Their response, “Great! I would be glad to sign you up for it.” They didn’t tell me the spa was under construction, and that we would only be getting a massage in a modified guest room. The sauna, steam room, and solarium were not available.

- “Do you have snow on the ground?” Their response, “Yes we do.” They didn’t tell me that the snow on the ground was the man-made snow on their ski slopes, and that there was no snow anywhere else. We packed extra boots, heavy socks and snowshoes thinking we would be walking around in snow.

- “That’s great because I really want to go snowmobiling.” Their response, “Oh, you will be able to do that.” They didn’t tell me that snowmobiling only occurs on their two ski slopes and only after the ski lift shuts down. I thought I would be snowmobiling over farmland and up the mountain to see gorgeous views.

- “Are the dress codes enforced at the restaurants, and do we have to make reservations?” They did answer these questions, but did not mention that the restaurants are closed Tuesday night and that we would have to eat at the pub in town.

After complaining, they did discount us their resort activities fee (woo hoo), which was another bunch of crock. They charged so much for the rooms, charged for most of the activities, and then added a %15 fee for running the activities. Unbelievable.

Be sure to ask many questions, and follow up with, "Is there anything else I need to know about...?"

Room Tip: There are so many rooms in the building, all with different views, so be sure to ask what the view i...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank charlie19690

Thank you for your candid and helpful feedback. Our $25 million renovation of our Spa, new dining venues and other amenities will be finished later this spring. We are working to complete these projects with the least amount of inconvenience to our guests. We regret that you feel you were misinformed about snow and renovations. Mother Nature often blesses us with natural snow, as was in the case of over a foot just a couple weeks ago. Unfortunately, sometimes it doesn’t want to stay around long. During ski season, we always have plenty of man-made snow on the slopes. We invite you back to enjoy our new Canyon Ranch SpaClub and Spa Garden when it debuts later in the spring.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

My husband and I purchased a two night stay for a quick getaway on March 11-13. This was our first time to stay at the resort. Prior to our arrival we read many of the reviews and in setting up our itinerary thought we may be going at the wrong time. There is still updating going on at the resort and with it being the winter months some things are limited (ie. Jefferson Pools only open on the weekend; horseback riding was not available one day due to snow; bowling not available). However, there were many other options that we chose to enjoy. Many are free of charge. '
We decided to do an room upgrade and enjoyed a Premier resort with view in the East wing...would stay there again. Our room was closer to activities for us. Room was very comfortable, clean and yet characteristic in charm and updated. We enjoyed the historical tour, afternoon tea, movie at night, shuttles, relaxing and playing games, fitness room and indoor pool. These were all free. I enjoyed the hot stone massage. While this was a bit more pricey and was in another part of the hotel, the service was excellent and was well worth it to me. The indoor pool was also another relaxing part of our stay. We enjoyed going up to the ski lodge to watch and stand by the large outdoor fire pit. The snow was falling so beautifully. We went to both Sam Snead's Tavern and the Dining Hall. We enjoyed the experience of both. The food was very pricey. We will probably choose Sam Snead and another option next time for dinner. We did, however, enjoy the Breakfast buffet. Such a wonderful variety of options to choose from including waffles and omelets. This was included in the package we purchased.
Overall, we loved our stay. We did a lot of things within our short time there. We will definitely return in the summer months with all of the updates and warmer weather to enjoy some other outdoor activities. However, this was perfect for us as we needed a time to get away and feel relaxed and refreshed. That was certainly accomplished!

Room Tip: We enjoyed the East Wing Premier resort with a view.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for visiting The Homestead for a romantic getaway weekend. It certainly sounds like you and your husband were able to enjoy in a short period of time a lot of the things which make The Homestead so unique and special. We do hope you will visit us again for a longer visit this summer when we will be offering more than 30 activities from which to choose.

Reviewed March 12, 2013

I just spent three days at The Homestead for a conference. The place is beautiful! The staff is amazing!!! Their hospitality is incredible. Even with construction going on there, they made my visit memorable. I plan on going back soon! Thank you to the staff for being wonderful!!!

Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Hero71978

Thank you for writing about your recent visit. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay, particularly the Southern hospitality of our staff. We all are looking forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed March 12, 2013

We live a few hours away and did a quick weekend getaway here using a Living Social voucher. We enjoyed our stay based on the discounted price we paid, but would not have found it a good value had we paid full price. We would go again if we found another discounted deal.

The room was clean and charming, although a bit small. We had a "Resort" room, which was advertised as limited resort ground views. Our view was nothing but concrete and other rooms. We could have paid to upgrade to "Preferred Resort" for better views, but we didn't spend a lot of time in the room, so it wasn't important to us. Our favorite part of our visit was the pools. It was cold when we went (early March), and our daughter loved the indoor pool. She also took advantage of the year-round heated outdoor pool next to the ice rink, and had a lot of fun being in a warm pool while snow flurries fell around her. We also took advantage of the hay ride, a short trip around the property culminating in s'mores and hot chocolate around a campfire, which was fun.

As far as dining, we were happy with dinner the first night at Sam Snead's Tavern. It was good pub food for a decent price. We had dinner in the Main Dining Room the second night. While the food was predictably overpriced for this type of resort, there was live music and a dance floor, and watching my two-year-old dance on her Daddy's feet made it worth the price of admission for me. The breakfast buffet in the Main Dining Room was extensive and pretty good, especially the omelet and waffle stations, but as with the rest of the trip, it was worthwhile because it was included in our deal. We got sandwiches at Martha's Market one day, and they were just okay.

Service ranged from okay to good. Some staffers could have been a little more welcoming, but in general, we were happy. Service in the Main DIning Room could be slow, but the waiters were usually friendly. We really liked our guide for the hayride/campfire, Matt.

I think there would be a lot more to do at the resort in warmer weather. The outdoor pool area seems like it would be a lot of fun in good weather. If we see a good discounted deal, we would definitely consider returning. If we returned, I'd love to try the spa.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

We are delighted you recently discovered The Homestead. It sounds like you had the opportunity to enjoy many of the things that make The Homestead so special, in particular dinner-dancing in the Main Dining Room. We thank you for taking the time to recognize Matt of our Outdoor Activities Dept. We invite you to return in the summer so your family may enjoy “Mountain Rush” – our new outdoor pool complex with water slides, lazy river, whirlpool, and kids play zone. Also, in the summer we have over 30 activities from which to choose! And our new Canyon Ranch SpaClub and Spa Garden will be debuting later this spring. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hot Springs
18 mi away
The Hummingbird Inn
The Hummingbird Inn
#1 of 1 in Goshen

Been to The Omni Homestead Resort? Share your experiences!