“Great place to get away and be taken care of”

The Omni Homestead Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Hot Springs
GreenLeadersBronze level
Chesapeake, Virginia
“Great place to get away and be taken care of”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013

Resorts like this are hard to find. You will not find a better place to stay in western VA. There is a reason over a dozen former presidents included this place in their vacations. It is both family friendly and elegant and romantic. Doesn't come cheap but your on vacation so relax and enjoy all the resort has to offer.

Room Tip: Ask for a room upgrade to enjoy the views...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
HomesteadResort, General Manager at The Omni Homestead Resort, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Thank you for your comments. The Homestead is definitely a first-class unique resort, rich in history, charm, and Southern hospitality. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future for another relaxing visit!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (636)
Cincinnati
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2013

What a lovely old place! We got a great Groupon deal and stayed 2 nights after Thanksgiving. The Christmas decorations were very pretty and this hotel is large but feels very homey. The staff are very friendly and welcoming. We ate at Sam Sneads one night: the food was great, our Jamaican server was excellent and fun, and the atmosphere lively and cozy. We dined at the Grille the other night, also excellent. We were able to get in the outdoor hot tub even though it was only 35 degrees outside...very enjoyable. The breakfast in the main dining room was included in our room price and very good. We had the free afternoon tea for lunch:nice little finger sandwiches and desserts in the lobby. Please keep in mind that this is an OLD building, it is not a modern, sleek hotel. Rather, it is a step back to another time of southern charm, grace, and hospitality. If you love grand, historic, old hotels (which I do), you will love it here. Note: it is drafty in the lobby, dress warm.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank travelalotCincinnati
We are delighted you took advantage of a special and visited our historic resort over the holidays. It is good to know that you enjoyed our Christmas decorations, the friendliness of our staff, and your dining experiences. We are thrilled that you also enjoyed our new Winter Wonderland which includes a heated outdoor pool, whirlpool, and ice-skating rink. Now that you know about our resort, we hope you will visit us again soon!
Durham, North Carolina, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

Upon arrival at the Homestead, I was overwhelmed with its grandeur and felt I might not fit in as I am just a "regular guy".
Well I did not fit in, but for different reasons. The first evening we had reservations for the casual dining venue which was not housed within the main building. I asked the concierge how to get there and was given instructions that lead me to a dark windy pathway in the pouring rain.
When I got to the restaurant, I was told there is a shuttle from the main lobby. No need to get wet.

O.K. A little rough edge to start the visit.
On the third day, my wallet was stolen. I advised the front desk, security and filed a police report by phone. I immediately cancelled my credit card. However that left me with no cash or credit card.
Deciding to leave a day early as the vacation was ruined, I went to the front desk and asked to speak with the manager on duty. I explained what had happened. After leaving for about ten minutes she returned and asked me if I had a check. I told her if I did it would have been in the stolen wallet. I assured her that if they sent the bill, I would pay it and she reluctantly agreed.
I also told her I hoped I had enough gas in the car to make it home as all I had was $1.50 in change. She expressed no concern about my bad experience or my possible inability to get home. Only that the hotel get paid. As I gathered my bags, no bellhop appeared to help as they had when I arrived. I struggled with the bags and struggled to get them in my car.
When I got home, I received the bill and promptly paid. I did notice that to add insult to injury, I was charged for the last night of my stay even though I had left.
I wrote a personal snail mail letter to the general manager Mr. Peter Faraone describing my bad experience hoping for at least an apology. One week later I have not heard from him, so now my only recourse is to spread the word over the Internet.

In summary, my wallet containing my credit card and $500 cash was stolen on the property and all they cared about was how the hotel was to get paid. If I had multiple guests at my home and one had something stolen from them, I would make it right and certainly see that they at least got home safely.

The Homestead which bills itself as very upper crust is really a low class establishment whose best years are well behind it. Either one of their employees is a thief or one of their "fancy" society guests is a thief.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Ken L
We are disappointed to see this review, dated Jan. 4, and posted on Jan. 16 and are sorry for the inconveniences this guest experienced. On Jan. 2, we received the letter and we responded four business days later. Additionally, we were in contact with this guest on numerous occasions prior to this post. We sincerely regret this most unfortunate incident and feel we reached out to this guest and tried to make amends. This guest was not charged for the night he did not stay and other concessions were made for the inconvenience. This was an isolated incident and is being thoroughly investigated.
NC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

We went to the Homestead the day after Christmas. Although the line to check-in at 4:00 was long, we were able to check into our room right away. The lady that checked us in was clearly sick, coughing and barely able to talk. So we were pretty clueless about where the elevator was and there was no print out on what our room rate was. Anyway, we stayed in the preferred resort room in the Tower. The pros of this room: extremely roomy, we have 2 children - ages 10 and 13. The beds seemed a little small so we had a roll away bed sent to our room. The cons of the room: no wet bar with refrigerator or microwave. If you're paying over $400 a night, it would be nice to have.
There are many options on package deals for the Homestead. I would recommend the meal plan. We were supposed to stay 3 nights at the Homestead. Night 1, we chose meal plan. No complaints, ate in the very nice dining room (there is no price limit on what you order). Food was excellent, had fun listening to the music and dancing. Day 2 we had chose the activity plan. This is where you pay extra and get an activity included in the price (per person). Unfortunately due to the snow, our horseback riding was cancelled. So my husband and son went skiing instead and my daughter and I went ice skating. My husband said that it was not crowded on the ski slope. Its a great place to ski if you're a beginner or for kids. The ice skating was pretty packed probably because all the other activities had been cancelled. So we only skated for 20 minutes since there were so many ice skating. Long story short, would probably recommend activity package in the spring, summer or fall but not the winter. Stick to the meal plan if it is winter, not worth the risk of not doing the activity of your choice.
At night after dinner, we took advantage of the free movies playing. The movies were recent releases, although there was a strange clanking noise during the movie. My daughter and I was able to ignore but my husband and son left early and went back to the room.
On the third day, after our breakfast. We were notified that the guided 3 hour hike had been cancelled. We sort of looked at each other and my daughter said she wanted to go back home. My husband and son agreed so I spoke to the frontdesk about checking out early. We were told that there would probably be a early departure fee. I told her that it was alright, that I understood. We went back to the room, packed our bells, the bellman quickly came and got our bags. We checked out and the frontdesk person that I had spoken to said that we would not be charged for the last night. Very thankful not to pay over $400 for another night.

In thinking about our overall experience, would recommend the Homestead in the winter only if you want to relax, eat and play board games in the parlor. Would definitely think our experience would of been better during warmer weather. Would recommend the Greenbrier over The Homestead which is not that far from The Homestead. We loved our trip at Green Brier last spring. Even though the Greenbrier was just as expensive, the service was superior. We were upgraded to a nicer room and there was simply more activities offered that was not as weather dependant. For example, capture the flag for the kids in the indoor tennis center. Plus the Greenbrier has gambling for adults. Anyway, you may want to check out the Greenbrier website prior to making reservations at The Homestead. Hope this review helps in your decision making.

Room Tip: Preferred resort rooms in the tower are roomy if you have kids. Unfortunately these rooms do not ha...
11 Thank AtlantisfanNc
Thank you for writing about your recent visit. We are delighted that you enjoyed your dining experience, particularly dinner and the music in the Main Dining Room. We are sorry that during your visit the weather did not cooperate for some of our outdoor activities. Guest feedback such as yours is a valuable training tool and we appreciate the opportunity to improve our guest experiences. We hope that you will return to The Homestead again soon.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013

I read some of the reviews from October and it appears that October was not a great month for The Homestead. That was not the case in December. My experience was wonderful. The hotel is historic. It is beautiful. If you are expecting modern and sleek, this is not the place. The windows are not energy efficient and air enters and escapes. The older hard wood floors are in terrible condition. The walls are not straight and probably have multiple layers of paint. All of this adds to the charm of this property. It is over 100 years old. Wood fireplaces warm the main lobby. The hotel maintenance department seemed involved in persistent upgrading and care of the building while I was there.

The rooms are spacious and nicely decorated. I didn't have the best view but I didn't spend a great deal of time in my room.

The property was impeccably decorated for the holidays. There were live Christmas trees in every common room of the property. The lighting outside the hotel was a delight for young and old. There was a large ginger bread village.

The staff was very cordial. I was greeted by every member of the staff from housekeeping, to maintenance, to the front desk staff each time I was seen by one of them.

The property has a lot to offer. The out door heated pool was wonderful. The indoor pool is very pretty but was very cold (I was told it was cold due to the construction happening in the spa). You have a choice of indoor/outdoor swimming, ice skating, skiing, tubing, hiking, fishing, canoeing, kayaking, falconry, equestrian activities, golf, shooting, hiking, etc.

I felt so very relaxed during my stay. Some prior reviews mentioned the word pretentious when describing the resort. It can be. You can be as pretentious as you want or not pretentious at all. I did not take any clothing to dress for dinner by choice. There are several options that are formal and several that are casual. I felt as ease in my laid back state while there.

I am looking forward to returning after the Canyon Ranch Spa is finished. Only a few minor issues during my stay. They do seem to have an issue with lady bugs. Housekeeping was very responsive with regard to them. For an upsale resort, I would expect turndown service automatically. Dinner at the Sam Smead Tavern was very slow.

2 Thank YBtravel
Thank you for visiting The Homestead in December and for your wonderful endorsement! We are glad that you enjoyed your visit to our historic resort and all its charms, our new Winter Wonderland with heated outdoor pool, Christmas decorations and our friendly staff. We’re excited that you are looking forward to experiencing our new Canyon Ranch SpaClub which will debut in the spring along with our Spa Garden.
McLean, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2012

I really, really wanted to love the Homestead, but at the end of the day, the cost was too high (almost $600 a night), the food was bland, and room was old. My husband and I took our boys for a post-Christmas skiing trip. I don't ski, but I was looking forward to enjoying the room and hotel. The positives first: my kids had fun at the ski school, the free movies were a plus, and the hotel is beautiful (you can tell that it was quite grand about 100 years ago). The negatives: the room was small (it was supposed to be one of the biggest non-suite rooms, but it seemed standard-sized), the food was less than mediocre (the $65 pp dinner buffet was especially bland); and the heater/ac unit in our room sounded like a go-cart so we left if off most of the time and it was cold! I read several TripAdvisor reviews before going that said to ask for a recently-renovated room, which I did on 3 occasions. I was told we were in a renovated room, but it turns out, we were not. While the room was clean, we had mold in the shower, mold on the ceiling by the window, and the bathroom had a tiny tub and was not "renovated." I'm sorry to say that I don't think we'll be returning to the Homestead. This place would be really wonderful if they improved the food and all of the rooms. A note to travelers: you will not find a diverse crowd of guests at the hotel (at least not at Christmas time). This is still a very "Southern" hotel in many respects.

6 Thank C R
Thank you for your candid feedback regarding your recent stay. It is good to know that your children enjoyed their time at the ski school. We regret that your dining experience and room accommodations did not meet your expectations. We do value input from our guests and use all comments as tools for improvement. We hope you will visit us again soon as we would welcome the opportunity to regain your goodwill and confidence and show you a truly great Homestead experience.
Washington DC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2012

While this giant grand old hotel can seem a bit like "The Shining" at times, we had a lovely time. The bellman was quick and pleasant with our bags but the front desk clerks however seemed a tad dour. I had requested a room in the Tower a few weeks earlier and sure enough, we received one and it was clean and surprinsingly large.. the bathroom was nice too. The food in the 1766 Grill was just okay, the breakfasts were huge and filling, and the skating rink and outdoor pool and hot tub was very relaxing. The Homestead provides a nice escape for a few days.

1 Thank TravelerMan62
HomesteadResort, General Manager at The Omni Homestead Resort, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
Thank you for sharing the highlights of your stay from quick and pleasant bell service, to your Tower accommodations, bountiful breakfast buffet, ice-skating, and relaxing in our new heated outdoor pool and hot tub. We value all your input and use all comments as tools for improvement. We hope you will return to The Homestead for another “escape” in the future!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hot Springs
#1 of 1 in Millboro
The Hummingbird Inn
The Hummingbird Inn
#1 of 1 in Goshen

Been to The Omni Homestead Resort? Share your experiences!