We went to the Homestead the day after Christmas. Although the line to check-in at 4:00 was long, we were able to check into our room right away. The lady that checked us in was clearly sick, coughing and barely able to talk. So we were pretty clueless about where the elevator was and there was no print out on what our room rate was. Anyway, we stayed in the preferred resort room in the Tower. The pros of this room: extremely roomy, we have 2 children - ages 10 and 13. The beds seemed a little small so we had a roll away bed sent to our room. The cons of the room: no wet bar with refrigerator or microwave. If you're paying over $400 a night, it would be nice to have.
There are many options on package deals for the Homestead. I would recommend the meal plan. We were supposed to stay 3 nights at the Homestead. Night 1, we chose meal plan. No complaints, ate in the very nice dining room (there is no price limit on what you order). Food was excellent, had fun listening to the music and dancing. Day 2 we had chose the activity plan. This is where you pay extra and get an activity included in the price (per person). Unfortunately due to the snow, our horseback riding was cancelled. So my husband and son went skiing instead and my daughter and I went ice skating. My husband said that it was not crowded on the ski slope. Its a great place to ski if you're a beginner or for kids. The ice skating was pretty packed probably because all the other activities had been cancelled. So we only skated for 20 minutes since there were so many ice skating. Long story short, would probably recommend activity package in the spring, summer or fall but not the winter. Stick to the meal plan if it is winter, not worth the risk of not doing the activity of your choice.
At night after dinner, we took advantage of the free movies playing. The movies were recent releases, although there was a strange clanking noise during the movie. My daughter and I was able to ignore but my husband and son left early and went back to the room.
On the third day, after our breakfast. We were notified that the guided 3 hour hike had been cancelled. We sort of looked at each other and my daughter said she wanted to go back home. My husband and son agreed so I spoke to the frontdesk about checking out early. We were told that there would probably be a early departure fee. I told her that it was alright, that I understood. We went back to the room, packed our bells, the bellman quickly came and got our bags. We checked out and the frontdesk person that I had spoken to said that we would not be charged for the last night. Very thankful not to pay over $400 for another night.
In thinking about our overall experience, would recommend the Homestead in the winter only if you want to relax, eat and play board games in the parlor. Would definitely think our experience would of been better during warmer weather. Would recommend the Greenbrier over The Homestead which is not that far from The Homestead. We loved our trip at Green Brier last spring. Even though the Greenbrier was just as expensive, the service was superior. We were upgraded to a nicer room and there was simply more activities offered that was not as weather dependant. For example, capture the flag for the kids in the indoor tennis center. Plus the Greenbrier has gambling for adults. Anyway, you may want to check out the Greenbrier website prior to making reservations at The Homestead. Hope this review helps in your decision making.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Open since 1766, The Omni Homestead is one of America's most storied resorts, offering unparalleled hospitality and southern charm in a 2,000-acre setting within the Allegheny Mountains of southwestern Virginia. Renowned for its natural hot springs, The Homestead is distinguished by 483 luxurious guest rooms and suites, 72,000 square feet of meeting space, a wide array of fine and casual dining choices, an expansive spa, championship golf courses that include one of the nation's finest mountain courses (The Cascades), Allegheny Springs, a two-acre family-friendly water attraction complete with lazy river, water slides and water play zone. The resort also offers the South's first downhill ski area, an Equestrian Center, top-rated Shooting Club, archery, canoeing, falconry, Segway tours and a wealth of other recreational attractions. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Omni Hotels & Resorts, Orbitz, HotelsforEveryone, Hotwire, Cancelon, Ctrip TA, Hotels.com, getaroom.com, HotelsClick, HotelQuickly and Hotel.de so you can book your The Omni Homestead Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Homestead Hotel Hot Springs
- Homestead Hotel Hot Springs
- Homestead Va
- Homestead Hot Springs Virginia
- Homestead Hot Springs Va
- Homestead Resort Hot Springs