“Too expensive for average”

The Omni Homestead Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Hot Springs
GreenLeadersBronze level
NC
“Too expensive for average”
Reviewed January 3, 2013

We went to the Homestead the day after Christmas. Although the line to check-in at 4:00 was long, we were able to check into our room right away. The lady that checked us in was clearly sick, coughing and barely able to talk. So we were pretty clueless about where the elevator was and there was no print out on what our room rate was. Anyway, we stayed in the preferred resort room in the Tower. The pros of this room: extremely roomy, we have 2 children - ages 10 and 13. The beds seemed a little small so we had a roll away bed sent to our room. The cons of the room: no wet bar with refrigerator or microwave. If you're paying over $400 a night, it would be nice to have.
There are many options on package deals for the Homestead. I would recommend the meal plan. We were supposed to stay 3 nights at the Homestead. Night 1, we chose meal plan. No complaints, ate in the very nice dining room (there is no price limit on what you order). Food was excellent, had fun listening to the music and dancing. Day 2 we had chose the activity plan. This is where you pay extra and get an activity included in the price (per person). Unfortunately due to the snow, our horseback riding was cancelled. So my husband and son went skiing instead and my daughter and I went ice skating. My husband said that it was not crowded on the ski slope. Its a great place to ski if you're a beginner or for kids. The ice skating was pretty packed probably because all the other activities had been cancelled. So we only skated for 20 minutes since there were so many ice skating. Long story short, would probably recommend activity package in the spring, summer or fall but not the winter. Stick to the meal plan if it is winter, not worth the risk of not doing the activity of your choice.
At night after dinner, we took advantage of the free movies playing. The movies were recent releases, although there was a strange clanking noise during the movie. My daughter and I was able to ignore but my husband and son left early and went back to the room.
On the third day, after our breakfast. We were notified that the guided 3 hour hike had been cancelled. We sort of looked at each other and my daughter said she wanted to go back home. My husband and son agreed so I spoke to the frontdesk about checking out early. We were told that there would probably be a early departure fee. I told her that it was alright, that I understood. We went back to the room, packed our bells, the bellman quickly came and got our bags. We checked out and the frontdesk person that I had spoken to said that we would not be charged for the last night. Very thankful not to pay over $400 for another night.

In thinking about our overall experience, would recommend the Homestead in the winter only if you want to relax, eat and play board games in the parlor. Would definitely think our experience would of been better during warmer weather. Would recommend the Greenbrier over The Homestead which is not that far from The Homestead. We loved our trip at Green Brier last spring. Even though the Greenbrier was just as expensive, the service was superior. We were upgraded to a nicer room and there was simply more activities offered that was not as weather dependant. For example, capture the flag for the kids in the indoor tennis center. Plus the Greenbrier has gambling for adults. Anyway, you may want to check out the Greenbrier website prior to making reservations at The Homestead. Hope this review helps in your decision making.

Room Tip: Preferred resort rooms in the tower are roomy if you have kids. Unfortunately these rooms do not ha...
11 Thank AtlantisfanNc
HomesteadResort, General Manager at The Omni Homestead Resort, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Thank you for writing about your recent visit. We are delighted that you enjoyed your dining experience, particularly dinner and the music in the Main Dining Room. We are sorry that during your visit the weather did not cooperate for some of our outdoor activities. Guest feedback such as yours is a valuable training tool and we appreciate the opportunity to improve our guest experiences. We hope that you will return to The Homestead again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (645)
Reviewed January 1, 2013

I read some of the reviews from October and it appears that October was not a great month for The Homestead. That was not the case in December. My experience was wonderful. The hotel is historic. It is beautiful. If you are expecting modern and sleek, this is not the place. The windows are not energy efficient and air enters and escapes. The older hard wood floors are in terrible condition. The walls are not straight and probably have multiple layers of paint. All of this adds to the charm of this property. It is over 100 years old. Wood fireplaces warm the main lobby. The hotel maintenance department seemed involved in persistent upgrading and care of the building while I was there.

The rooms are spacious and nicely decorated. I didn't have the best view but I didn't spend a great deal of time in my room.

The property was impeccably decorated for the holidays. There were live Christmas trees in every common room of the property. The lighting outside the hotel was a delight for young and old. There was a large ginger bread village.

The staff was very cordial. I was greeted by every member of the staff from housekeeping, to maintenance, to the front desk staff each time I was seen by one of them.

The property has a lot to offer. The out door heated pool was wonderful. The indoor pool is very pretty but was very cold (I was told it was cold due to the construction happening in the spa). You have a choice of indoor/outdoor swimming, ice skating, skiing, tubing, hiking, fishing, canoeing, kayaking, falconry, equestrian activities, golf, shooting, hiking, etc.

I felt so very relaxed during my stay. Some prior reviews mentioned the word pretentious when describing the resort. It can be. You can be as pretentious as you want or not pretentious at all. I did not take any clothing to dress for dinner by choice. There are several options that are formal and several that are casual. I felt as ease in my laid back state while there.

I am looking forward to returning after the Canyon Ranch Spa is finished. Only a few minor issues during my stay. They do seem to have an issue with lady bugs. Housekeeping was very responsive with regard to them. For an upsale resort, I would expect turndown service automatically. Dinner at the Sam Smead Tavern was very slow.

2 Thank YBtravel
Thank you for visiting The Homestead in December and for your wonderful endorsement! We are glad that you enjoyed your visit to our historic resort and all its charms, our new Winter Wonderland with heated outdoor pool, Christmas decorations and our friendly staff. We’re excited that you are looking forward to experiencing our new Canyon Ranch SpaClub which will debut in the spring along with our Spa Garden.
McLean, Virginia
Reviewed December 31, 2012

I really, really wanted to love the Homestead, but at the end of the day, the cost was too high (almost $600 a night), the food was bland, and room was old. My husband and I took our boys for a post-Christmas skiing trip. I don't ski, but I was looking forward to enjoying the room and hotel. The positives first: my kids had fun at the ski school, the free movies were a plus, and the hotel is beautiful (you can tell that it was quite grand about 100 years ago). The negatives: the room was small (it was supposed to be one of the biggest non-suite rooms, but it seemed standard-sized), the food was less than mediocre (the $65 pp dinner buffet was especially bland); and the heater/ac unit in our room sounded like a go-cart so we left if off most of the time and it was cold! I read several TripAdvisor reviews before going that said to ask for a recently-renovated room, which I did on 3 occasions. I was told we were in a renovated room, but it turns out, we were not. While the room was clean, we had mold in the shower, mold on the ceiling by the window, and the bathroom had a tiny tub and was not "renovated." I'm sorry to say that I don't think we'll be returning to the Homestead. This place would be really wonderful if they improved the food and all of the rooms. A note to travelers: you will not find a diverse crowd of guests at the hotel (at least not at Christmas time). This is still a very "Southern" hotel in many respects.

6 Thank C R
Thank you for your candid feedback regarding your recent stay. It is good to know that your children enjoyed their time at the ski school. We regret that your dining experience and room accommodations did not meet your expectations. We do value input from our guests and use all comments as tools for improvement. We hope you will visit us again soon as we would welcome the opportunity to regain your goodwill and confidence and show you a truly great Homestead experience.
Washington DC
Reviewed December 27, 2012

While this giant grand old hotel can seem a bit like "The Shining" at times, we had a lovely time. The bellman was quick and pleasant with our bags but the front desk clerks however seemed a tad dour. I had requested a room in the Tower a few weeks earlier and sure enough, we received one and it was clean and surprinsingly large.. the bathroom was nice too. The food in the 1766 Grill was just okay, the breakfasts were huge and filling, and the skating rink and outdoor pool and hot tub was very relaxing. The Homestead provides a nice escape for a few days.

1 Thank TravelerMan62
HomesteadResort, General Manager at The Omni Homestead Resort, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
Thank you for sharing the highlights of your stay from quick and pleasant bell service, to your Tower accommodations, bountiful breakfast buffet, ice-skating, and relaxing in our new heated outdoor pool and hot tub. We value all your input and use all comments as tools for improvement. We hope you will return to The Homestead for another “escape” in the future!
Hollins, Virginia
Reviewed December 27, 2012

We took advantage of a two-night Groupon deal on the weekend before Christmas. We were a bit worried after reading negative reviews here, but all-in-all it was a great mini-vacation for us. We look forward to returning, probably for another weekend on a ski package.
Good: Allegheny Springs (pool/hot tub is excelent!), Skiing, Dinner at Sam Snead's Tavern
Not So Good: Loud fan in the room - obviously some mechanical issue, minor issues with food service
The ski slopes were only partially open, but it was only by chance and the hard work of the snowmaking crew that any of it was open due to the warm weather conditions during the prior week.
We assume that the hotel was fully booked during the period, but it did not feel crowded to us.
We had some minor issues with food service, but quality of the food was excellent. We ate at Sam Snead's Tarvern, the Main Dining Room, and had lunch at the ski lodge. The lunch at the ski lodge was suprisingly good - surely as good as it gets for fast food.

1 Thank global-engineer
We're pleased that you took advantage of a special and enjoyed some of the unique features that make our resort so special from our new Allegheny Springs Winter Wonderland, to skiing, to good cuisine at Sam Snead’s Tavern, the Dining Room, and Ski Lodge. We are delighted you wish to return on another weekend on a ski package. The Homestead opened up the first ski resort in the south in 1959 and this year we opened a Rossignol Experience Center, the first in Virginia. We are the only Mid-Atlantic property voted as a Top 50 Ski Hotel by Conde’ Nast Traveler. With nine well-maintained trails, the slopes are perfect for beginners and families. There is much more to do in the wintertime at The Homestead and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed December 27, 2012

Went to the Homestead thought it would be a good place for my 10 year anniversary.

I negotiated with the salesperson when I called and was able to secure a third night at half price (otherwise would have likely just stayed there two nights). I'm sure you could do the same.

First off, location is incredible. Facilities and rooms are good, but seem to be designed for a upscale experience in 1980 and not 2010+. Views in area and from my room were fantastic.

Second, this is a very old school place, meaning that they give you incredible black tie type service (with the great exception I list below) and the staff treats you impeccibly in the old school style way.

That being said the old school way is exactly the problem!!! The restaurants are too upscale for their own good, they need a fresh update to cater to people 40 and younger (I dont need dressed up fine dining at a bunch of restaurants - one is fine - trade the other couple for a sports bar or something more modern). The food is fairly ho-hum at all restaurants on the campus. Its OK but nothing spectacular certainly. TIP - IF YOU DO GO DONT BUY THE MEAL PLAN, INSTEAD EAT AT INN AT GRISTMILL AND/OR WARM SPRINGS INN.

They need to invest to cater to the younger crowds and not just rely on the let me carry your bags and shine your shoes and clean your table after every course type service (which is really nice certainly, but can't be your simple business foundation) and the incredible scenery and location to carry them. I mean I'm not exactly the youngest guy, Im 40 and I thought the place was designed for much older poeple.

Final note, I had ants in my room one night - 100s and 100s of them (I doubt this is a one off event - it probably happens at an old unupdated place like this more times than they would ever admit). They were slow to respond and their response was inadequate. They did give me a different room finally but the interenet connection was not working (after they tried several timed to fix) so had to go outside of them and buy the Personal Hotspot on my Iphone to get my legal work done. They also gave me 50% off my room that night, but purposely took 50% off of the 50% I had previously negotiated, which I'm sure anyone would admit is a pretty cheap move. In any event, shows their service stops when its going to cost them something extra, so their are limits to everything I guess. I bet if I was a regular for years they would have been better to me, so just note if you are trying for the first time or do not go here a lot (they may not go out of the way for you when you need it most).

In any event, my lesson is learned on these upscale places. You have to investigate a bit more carefully. I'll probably try the Greenbriar or just go down to North Carolina or up to Vermont/NH where their are plenty of great mountain places that will gladly take my money for both a modern and younger but still sophisticated stay.

Final final note - Jefferson Pools are pretty cool and a soak therein is invigorating - definitely see those!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank T0m38
Thank you for candid feedback regarding your stay at The Homestead. We are sorry we did not meet your expectations. We have made many efforts to preserve our history and traditions, while updating our facilities and recreational activities for our guests. The Homestead's multi-million dollar Next Chapter features enhanced guest rooms and public areas as well as new dining options, including a new conveniently located Lobby Bar, and spa renovations. We have completed the renovation of 110 guest rooms with new bedding, upholstery, draperies, and carpet, etc. The two-acre Allegheny Springs water complex, which opened the summer of 2012, converts into a winter oasis with a heated, spring-fed outdoor pool, whirlpool and ice-skating rink. Our adults-only Spa Garden pool and Canyon Ranch SpaClub will debut this spring. We hope that you will return again in the future so that you may experience all of our new improvements.
Lynchburg
Reviewed December 24, 2012

As a family, we have been going for a weekend to the Homestead for the past 4 years. Have thoroughly enjoyed it. At night my son and I have gone bowling as well as played video games. Found out that it was shut down. Didn't know if it was because of the spa renovation or something else. There was no information about it being closed.

Also went to roast marshmallows at 7:45pm on the Friday night we were there and the store was closed. Years past it never was. With all the renovations they must be going through a lot of changes.

Had a great time at the shooting club. My 16 year old son was in his glory.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for writing about your annual Christmas visit to The Homestead with your family. It is good to know that you enjoyed the Shooting Club this year. The former bowling location is being converted into a state-of-the-art fitness center to complement our new Canyon Ranch SpaClub which will open in the spring. As bowling has been a popular activity at The Homestead, we are hoping to relocate some of the equipment in the future and create a family fun center with bowling and other games. We are looking forward to welcoming you back for your fifth visit this year!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hot Springs
#1 of 1 in Millboro
The Hummingbird Inn
The Hummingbird Inn
#1 of 1 in Goshen

Been to The Omni Homestead Resort? Share your experiences!