“Sometimes more Shabby than Chic but always relaxing”

The Omni Homestead Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Hot Springs
GreenLeadersBronze level
Richmond, Virginia
“Sometimes more Shabby than Chic but always relaxing”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

This was my fourth visit to the Homestead and I have to admit that sometimes I wonder what it is I like so much about the place. It is "Shabby Chic" and sometimes the shabby is a lot more prominent than the chic. Case in point was the first room they showed us...the white bedspread had a noticeable stain (I am hoping it was dried up make-up), serious scuffs on the wall, lime stains in the shower, as well as some disturbing stains of unknown origin above the head post. The room also had two double beds when we requested a king and the hotel quickly moved us upon request to a room that was clean and lovely.

The food at the Homestead is expensive and...fine. I've never had anything unforgettable to eat there, but I also have never had anything bad. It is all very expensive.

That being said, there is just something about the Homestead that can't be duplicated. It is like living in a piece of history. I love feeling like I am a part of a living tradition. It is so fun to walk around the resort and see room after room each with its own decorative flair that has housed historic meetings and family events. When I am there I feel like I am walking through an imaginary rich relative's country estate in a place from another time. I love walking through the Great Hall and just looking from end to end and reflecting upon all of the different presidents who have enjoyed the same views as me. It is also so gratifying to help support a local industry that employs so many folks from the area. So many resorts must hire from other countries, but the Homestead still seems to have lots of locals on the staff.

I also appreciate the shops at the Homestead. While there are only a few, I can actually find affordable and unique items within the shops. So many resorts have nothing that an average person could consider buying. I always leave the Homestead with a little something special. My husband loves the trout fishing and walking by the Cascades.

My only REAL disappointment is silly, but the Homestead changed their soap line! My whole family used to say "Everything smells better at the Homestead." My parents used to order the shampoo to be shipped to them for Christmas. What they have now is nothing special. I didn't even take what was left in the small bottle from my room.

All in all, I LOVE the Homestead, but you have to understand that it is different when you go. Don't expect it to be like any other place you have ever been in the US and just let it get under your skin. Soak in the relaxation and enjoy!

Room Tip: Avoid the "Garden Rooms." Ask to be near the tower even if you don't have a porch.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Lynn S, General Manager at The Omni Homestead Resort, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on your most recent stay at our historic resort. We appreciate your patronage of our resort and, as always, it was a true pleasure to have you with us. We value our repeat guests’ opinion and view them as a way to improve the guest experience. The Homestead’s multi-million dollar Next Chapter features enhanced guest rooms and public areas as well as new dining options, a new Lobby Bar, and spa renovations. We have just completed the renovation of 110 guest rooms with new bedding, upholstery, draperies, and carpet, etc. Our two-acre Allegheny Springs water complex, which opened this summer, is now our Winter Wonderland with a heated, spring-fed outdoor pool, heated deck, and ice-skating rink. Our adults-only Spa Garden pool will open in a few weeks and our new Canyon Ranch SpaClub at The Homestead debuts this spring. We look forward to welcoming you back again in the future so that you may experience all of our new improvements.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (636)
Chesapeake, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

Upon arriving we just could not believe how beautiful the outside of the hotel and the grounds were! Early check in was easy. They held our bags and called us on our cell phone when our room was ready allowing us to enjoy the resort ammenities while we waited. Although not very well publicized, there is a complimentary tea at 3:00 with beverages and delicious little sandwiches. A very nice touch!! The grand lobby is just that!! Tall ceilings, lots of wood trim, gorgeous columns, and comfortable seating! Would love to go back in the winter when the fireplaces are blazing with warm, crackling fires!!

Room Tip: High floors are quiet. Our casino side room had a lovely view.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for letting us know that you enjoyed your visit and wish to return sometime in the winter. In addition to the warm, crackling fireplaces you mentioned, our Allegheny Springs Winter Wonderland is new this season and will offer ice-skating and heated spring-fed outdoor swimming with heated deck. The Homestead opened up the first ski resort in the south in 1959 and this year we will open a Rossignol Experience Center, the first in Virginia. With nine well-maintained trails, the slopes are perfect for beginners and families. After stepping off the ice or snow, guests are welcome to roast s’mores over the firepit or relax with hot cocoa. There is much more to do in the wintertime at The Homestead and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to enjoy more of our many activities.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

Just spent the weekend at The Homestead with our kids and friends and their kids (all elementary age) thanks to a Groupon. When asked what their favorite thing was it was a combination of archery, Jefferson Pools, fishing and Kids Club. They all want to go back.

The hotel is in need of some investment to bring her back to her former glory but she still retains great character. If you are looking for trendy and sleek then this is not the place.

Yes food and activities are expensive but no more so that other resorts of the same scope. There are some free activities including nightly movies, free fishing poles for the kids pond, afternoon tea, history tour and plenty of walking opportunities.

The hotel may not have the finesse of The Greenbrier but it is less expensive and is by no means your average hotel. It appeared to be less crowded which gave it a more peacful feel, and a slightly younger age demographic made it a better setting for the kids.

Most of the staff were friendly and polite others could have taken some customer service lessons from Samuel at the front desk and Brahim in the dining room.

All in all a pleasant weekend.

Room Tip: Request a room with a view when reserving or you may end up looking at AC unit. Make dining reserva...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
It is good to know that you and your family enjoyed your visit to The Homestead, in particular archery, fishing, the KidsClub and our historic Jefferson Pools. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon so that you may enjoy more of what The Homestead has to offer.
Sarasota, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

What a wonderful place to find in the mountains of West Virginia. We stopped by the Greenbriar for lunch and a tour of the bunker and were so glad we did not stay overnight there! The Homestead is far more gracious and the decor so much more superior to the Greenbriar. The hotel staff was wonderful and the breakfast in the morning a delicous buffet with everything you could possibly want. We would highly recommend you stay here.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ann34618
TheHomesteadResort, General Manager at The Omni Homestead Resort, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Thank you for posting such a wonderful review! We are thrilled you recently discovered The Homestead in the Allegheny Mountains of Virginia and enjoyed your experience. We hope to welcome you back soon.
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

The hotel's architectural are totally stunning.. Every public room is in itself a view. The grounds are well kept and fall is a great time to visit. The additional color was spectacular. Now, although every window I saw was sparkling, there are some signs of deferred maintenance. Brass not polished, elevators needing touch up, etc. These signs in no way influenced the enjoyment of our stay. The staff here are wonderful, friendly and when asked a question, they smile. This place was filled with pleasant people! The food? Incredible! Service? Top notch! The restaurant dress code (collared shirt and jacket for men) was not restrictive at all. In fact, it added to the elegance of the evenings.
My only negative is that the spa is under renovation and the mineral pool, sauna and steam room were unavailable.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
HomesteadResort, General Manager at The Omni Homestead Resort, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Thank you for your comments regarding your fall visit to our resort. We are glad that you enjoyed the resort’s architecture and grounds, our friendly staff, food and service. We hope that you will schedule a return visit in the spring when our Canyon Ranch SpaClub at The Homestead will debut.
virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

Here for conference very upset as first night here arrived late room was literally set at 60 degrees! But worse thing is woke up the next morning with bites on shoulders and neck! Did not see a bed big but called front desk and they did move us! But I don't feel like they have a good policy in effect to deal with bedbugs! They did move us and changed linen in room but I didn't see exterminator! What is worse is fact that it was already listed on bedbug list! I have travelled extensively stayed at some very nice places! The rooms are run down the furniture is upholstered and seems dirty musty! Very over priced and waking up with bites is horrific experience!! Bed bigs are epidemic and this hotel seems very unconcerned about it! Not to mention the gross mattresses that are made out of duck feathers with feathers all over place! Not the very nice goose type feather beds with occ white feather but handfuls of black brown duck feathers! If someone has allergies or asthma they would be at risk for severe reaction! Don't waste money and I just pray I don't take bedbugs home with me! I am taking precautions but totally freaked out!!

• Stayed November 2012
2 Thank Lovetotravelmomz
Lynn S, Director of Marketing at The Omni Homestead Resort, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
We note this review is dated Nov. 5 and that the guest visited during the month of November. We do not have a record of such a complaint during this time, other than a request for a room move and foam pillows due to a possible allergic reaction to feathers. The Homestead takes any complaint of this nature very seriously. We use the hospitality leader in pest control and they provide an ongoing and comprehensive preventative pest control program for us. We take all measures to ensure we reduce the chance of being infected and to date we have not had a positive report for bed bugs. We want to ensure all our guests are safe, happy and want to return to our resort. Should this guest wish to contact our Executive Office and provide more information regarding this incident, we would welcome the opportunity to investigate the matter.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012 via mobile

We just returned from a wonderful visit at The Homestead! I have to say that I was apprehensive about staying there due to the number of negative reviews that I read prior to booking but after having stayed there all I can say is "what is wrong with you people?" Are you just THAT pretentious that you can't put down your silver spoons long enough to open your eyes and minds to enjoy everything The Homestead has to offer? I swear it seems as though some people look for disappointment no matter where they go. We did purchase our stay through Groupon, not because we're cheap but because it seemed like a good deal and we weren't even looking to get away anytime soon. The Groupon pretty much put the idea in my head. After extensive research, I decided to purchase the Groupon and give it a shot. So glad we did!

OUR ROOM:
I have to say that I did worry that we would be "branded" as cheapskates which first became issue upon booking. I was told no king beds were available but that I could pay extra per night for an upgrade. Not wanting to be "suckered" into an upgrade, I declined (though I can't blame them for trying!). Upon check-in I asked to be changed to a king room and it was done without any hesitation. Our room was absolutely beautiful! It was clean and nicely decorated. The view wasn't anything to get excited about but we were hardly in our room except to change clothes or sleep.

HOTEL:
This is a very old hotel with a lot of history and character. Take the time to walk around and take it all in. Don't walk through with a white glove and magnifying glass cause I'm sure you'll find lots to complain about (Did someone actually write a review about lead paint? FYI: this place was built before 1978!!). The Homestead is full of charm and beauty but not to be compared to a modern day 5 star hotel. Keep this in mind while you're sipping your afternoon tea.

SERVICE:
Was exceptional! Everyone was pleasant and provided great service.

FOOD:
We ate appetizers at the Players Pub, dinner at 1766 Grille and breakfast at the buffet in the Main Dining Room. The breakfast was great but the other two were just mediocre. I guess if I'm going to be negative about anything it's that. For what we paid for our dinner the meal should have been exquisite, but mediocre, and I'm being kind, is the highest rating I can give it. Based on other reviews of this same issue it seems as though a chef change may be in order. The Homestead is missing out on a golden opportunity to easily improve its reviews by trying something, or someone new.

ACTIVITIES:
So much to choose from! And yes, there is a charge for everything but do your homework and make your plans ahead of time and you won't be surprised or disappointed. We chose to do the Segway tour. It was fun and worth the $. A great way to see the grounds. My only suggestion here, and not a complaint, is that it would be nice to have a little history be given on the tour. I don't see why we couldn't have stopped periodically to get a little insight to certain areas then continue on.....but maybe it's just me!

OVERALL EXPERIENCE:
We wanted a kid-free, relaxing weekend and we got it. We will absolutely visit again and with all The Homestead has to offer we might even bring our kids next time!

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KareyS925
We are delighted you took advantage of a special and visited The Homestead recently for a relaxing weekend. Thank you for your many kind comments, and we are thrilled that you wish to visit again and bring your children with you. During the winter months, your children will enjoy our ski slopes and ice-skating rink, complete with s’mores by the fire. During the summer, they will want to try out our new outdoor pool complex with lazy river and slides and much much more! Your feedback and suggestions are valuable to us as we constantly strive to improve our guest experience. We look forward to welcoming you and your family soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hot Springs
#1 of 1 in Millboro
The Hummingbird Inn
The Hummingbird Inn
#1 of 1 in Goshen

Been to The Omni Homestead Resort? Share your experiences!