“we wish that we had a better experience and were disspoainted”

The Omni Homestead Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Hot Springs
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed October 10, 2012

Below was a letter that I wrote to the general manager of the hotel about our experience there. He never responded to my lengthly memo. I fonud many of the employees to be disenfranchised at the Homestead and we stayed in one of their most expensive rooms, top floor suite Room 2104. Please read my letter below

If the general manager doesn't care enough about well paying guests to respond back to them, how could he expect anyone else to. We were shcoked and dismayed by his lack of consideration in ignoring our memo. We could not in good conscience recommend this property.

Friday October 5th, 2012
Mr. Faraone,

Good day to you and I wished to bring to your attention some issues we have experienced during our brief stay at your property.

1) I made this booking for a suite several months ago and at that time was told that our room rate included breakfast for my wife and I. I travel extensively for my business both domestically and internationally, and probably account for 110-120 room nights on an annual basis in luxury properties. This morning when I was presented with a check for the buffet, I let our server know that this was included in our package. I later found out that it was not. I was told by the front desk staff that since we were part of a wedding group, this did not apply…I appreciate consistency in customer service. I come from a family of hoteliers, at premier properties. The only surprises I enjoy are birthday parties.

2) I surprised my wife with a spa treatment, and she was given directions by the concierge, since you have a new temporary location. The directions landed her on an unoccupied floor where she wandered for 10 minutes before returning back to the concierge. She was then given different directions and unfortunately was misdirected a second time. Finally after 20 minutes she located the spa. While there she asked to see a menu of services and was told that they had only one and needed to keep it. Might I suggest that your staff escort spa guests to the location since it is not intuitive. We are in our 50’s and certainly are not senile. Once in the spa she had a very good experience with Robin, a resident masseuse. After her treatment , my wife returned to the concierge desk and asked for a comment card. She was informed that none were available, and she would receive an electronic one after checkout. While this is a good idea, it does not allow for immediate feedback, especially when problems are uncovered, or to provide an accolade for good customer service.

3) Finally when I called to concierge to request your e-mail address, I was placed on hold for 11 minutes…yes I waited so that I could remind Jessica of how long I was holding. Unfortunately I was unable to e-mail you because shortly after this we lost power in our room…we decided just to go for a walk

4) Upon our return I am sorry to tell you that we discovered a “stink bug” on the sofa. I know that they are a huge problem in Virginia, we live in Charlottesville, but for the room we booked, we would expect more prudent measures. We have not opened our windows since our arrival.

I would heartily appreciate your comments, mitigating and otherwise. We are here through Sunday. I would be delighted to personally speak with you, as I am sure you would not allow a similar experience to go unaddressed.

Best regards, Jon Fink

Room Tip: Make sure you are guaranteed services, internet, breakfast, in advance so that you do not have a nas...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jon F
TheHomesteadResort, General Manager at The Omni Homestead Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2012

Thank you for your candid review regarding your recent visit to The Homestead. We hope you have received our letter by now in response to your e-mail and survey. The group you were with was on a contracted European Plan rate that did not include breakfast or any meal in the rate. This would have been in the confirmation and we apologize for any misunderstanding. We also are sorry for the inconvenience your wife experienced in locating the Spa. Guest feedback such as yours is a valuable training tool and we appreciate the opportunity to improve our guest service experiences. We hope you will plan a return visit once our Canyon Ranch SpaClub at The Homestead debuts in the spring. We would welcome the chance to regain your goodwill and confidence and show you a truly great Homestead experience.

Write a ReviewReviews (5,616)

Reviewed October 9, 2012

My husband and I took our son, daughter-in-law and 18 month old grandson to the Homestead for a weekend in early September. They had not been there before but my husband and I had stayed at the Homestead many wonderful times in the past. A one-bedroom suite with an adjoining bedroom provided a perfect space to enjoy our visit.

The setting is spectacular and having seen this property over 25+ years, the condition of the rooms is excellent. Those who complain must realize the age of this building which has been extended and added onto over and over again. It's NOT a 20th century building. Respect the heritage of the Homestead and the dedication of the staff who keep it up. Our housekeeper, Christina, was delightful and did an excellent job - especially considering the havoc an 18 month old can create.

The new water park was great. Grandson loved the kids pool with the water canons and also the heated large pool. Water sides were open but we weren't that brave with a toddler. This is a great addition to make the resort more family friendly. We understand the kids pool will be turned into a skating rink in winter and the main pool will remain open and heated.

Dinner at Sam Snead's with the toddler was lots of fun. The staff was very accommodating and the food was delicious. Just right for the five of us.

Dinner in the dining room (for the adults only) was possible because the Homestead provides babysitting services with advanced notice. The young lady who sat for us was delightful and my daughter-in-law said "can we take her home with us?"

Dinner that night was excellent. Woody, the Maitre D, is a National Treasure! He is also a true gentleman and makes each guest feel truly special. Someone should record his memories of what he has seen over his long years at the Homestead.

Another addition to our wonderful memories of the Homestead!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
TheHomesteadResort, General Manager at The Omni Homestead Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write your enthusiastic endorsement. We are thrilled that you and your family enjoyed your visit to The Homestead, including our new outdoor pool complex. We will share your kind words with our employees, in particular Christina and Woody – both of whom we are proud to have on our team. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon as we would love to create more wonderful memories for you and your family!

Reviewed October 8, 2012

I made a reservation at the resort in August for a early September get a way vacation and golf trip with my wife. Latter I had to cancel due to work conflicts. I called and talked to the reservation department and the woman told me that I was within the cancellation window, and I could either cancel or extend the reservation to a latter period. At that time I was hopeful that we could make the trip, and we were even hopeful that we could get some friends to join us. I agreed to extend the reservation.

I called latter to cancel the reservation due to schedule conflicts, and as it was getting late in the season. I was told that the deposit was non-refundable. No one ever mentioned the change in policy, though after reading the revised confirmation ... in the small print there it was.

Had someone told me initially I would have just a cancelled the first time I called. I called the resort VP and left a message with his assistant, and several days latter got a call from the reservations department . The woman there offered to carry my deposit till February. I explained that the purpose of the visit to their resort was to golf, and no one goes to the mountains of W. Va. to golf in February. I asked her to refund the deposit and I would be glad to book another trip at a latter date.

She then agreed to carry the deposit till March, then after my complaints then April, and finally May. Even with an open deposit till May it is still not very predictable weather in that part if the country, and would likely be undesirable for golf. The reservations department told me that the weekend that I held a reservation, was not fully booked.

I no longer have an interest at going to this place, and believe that if they have to make a profit from taking my deposit ... it is not really worth the trip. This is one of the few resorts in this part of the country that we have never visited, and now it will remain so.

There appears to be no "good will" with the management of this establishment, the VP of operations didn't even bother to return my call, and they appear all too interested at making a few dollars by taking my deposit vs. having me visit and spend thousands over a long weekend.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank greccosg

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding our deposit policy. We are sorry that you were unable to make your golfing trip to The Homestead this fall due to work and scheduling conflicts. Your deposit has been moved to May 31. May is one of the most beautiful months in the Allegheny Mountains and the golf courses are spectacular. We are hopeful that you will be able to reschedule your visit in the spring so that we may show you a truly great Homestead experience.

Reviewed October 7, 2012

We spent three days at the Homestead for a conference in this beautiful environment. Our room was nice but not spectacular. The staff were all very accomidating. The highlight of the trip was the hoseback ride and our excellent guide. The afternoon tea is a wonderful addition in the Great Hall, and especially sitting on the front porch. We tried to book spa services two weeks before our trip but it was under rennovations. The hotel is very large and easy to get lost in.

Room Tip: The Garden level seemed to have the nicer rooms
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
TheHomesteadResort, General Manager at The Omni Homestead Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2012

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay at The Homestead. It is good to know you enjoyed your visit, particularly your horseback ride and guide. Our state-of-the-art Equestrian Center has a reputation as one of the finest recreational programs in the country. We are sorry that you did not get to enjoy the Spa which was closed temporarily for a few days. The Spa is under renovation as we have partnered with Canyon Ranch and will be reopening in the spring with new treatments as well as maintaining our classic ones. The Salon, Fitness Center, Indoor Pool, and Spa Suite remain open in the Spa building during renovations. Also, select spa services are available in relocated treatment rooms and massages and facials are being offered now as well. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future so you may enjoy our new Canyon Ranch Spa facilities when they are completed.

Reviewed October 7, 2012

This was our second stay at The Homestead. It was a little more worn in places than I remembered from our last visit 12 years ago. However, the Homestead is in a beautiful setting and offers a grand, old Virginia experience you can't find anywhere else. It's the kind of place you should go at least once in your life! The grounds are beautiful and there are so many things to do.

DINING: Overall, I think The Homestead is a little pricey for what you get. The food is good, but not great. I wasn't all that impressed by the service, either. For example, you have to make reservations for dinner in advance. Even though we had 8:00 p.m. reservations in the Dining Room, the service was very slow and it was confusing because multiple people waited on us. If you're used to staying at resorts with impeccable service, you may be disappointed.

RESORT: You may also be disappointed if you expect perfection. The Homestead is a huge resort that hosts thousands of people. Most of it is very old, so I'm sure it's a constant battle to keep everything up to par. They do have some major renovations in the works.

ACTIVITIES TIP: The Homestead offers kayaking on Lake Moomaw. The kayaking trip was only available on the day we were leaving, which had bad weather in the forecast, so I looked into another option. The Bolar Flats Marina is a tiny little establishment on the lake that rents canoes (no kayaks, though) and small motorboats! We rented a canoe for 4 hours for $30, which was a lot cheaper than the Homestead's $75 per person fee! We also did the canoeing trip on the Jackson River with the Homestead ($89 each), which was quite fun. I would not recommend it for those who have never been in a canoe since you do have to negotiate some rocks and very light rapids (no whitewater) that require a little bit of skill. The Homestead shuttles you in a van to and from the put-in and take-out locations, which are about 30 min. away. You would never know this if you went to the Homestead website or talked to the activities people, though!

DINING TIP: We ate Sunday brunch at the Waterwheel Restaurant at the Inn at Gristmill Square in Warm Springs. Delicious!!!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for returning to The Homestead for a repeat visit. We are glad that you enjoy our beautiful setting and an old Virginia experience that is hard to find. We appreciate your observations and suggestions as we view them as a way to improve the guest experience. We enjoyed welcoming you back and hope to have the pleasure of seeing you again soon.

Reviewed October 7, 2012

We have stayed at the Homestead a few times in the past decade or so. This time the service was terrible.
Check IN: Check in clerk was more interested in looking at his computer screen and mumbling a list of canned gibberish rather that looking at me and asking or providing what needed to be asked and needed to be known. More like a Motel 6.
IN THE DINING ROOM. Slow. Forty minutes passed before the appetizers were served. Food: One appetizer was inedible.The wait staff were mostly hostile and indifferent.They seemed more interested in setting up for the breakfast meal than serving our evening meal. When confronted with poor service - suddenly - English not spoken so well. Excuses where made. Spoke to the maître’d whose only response was a dumbfounded bovine like expression. No table captains in sight. Waiter did not serve the meal to completion. Three different faces showed up. Showed surprise that we objected. I have had much better service at Ruby Tuesdays for both ability and courtesy. OBTW -- Staff gets 20% tip whether they show up or not.
Breakfast. We used the excellent buffet. So a lot of the above was not a problem. All staff needed to practice courtesy and learn to use the words, may I please, pardon me, and would you like some...?Next: Primary server needed info from hotel room/meal plan card. in order for her to read the card; rather than ask for the card the waiter (female) leaned across the table and lay across my plate as I was eating. When I made a complaint by picking up the card and moving it to within reading distance of her face and asked if she wanted to read the card, she went into her combat mode. She explained that she needed info for administrative recording. This is not my problem she did not have to lay on the table. A few words of explanation would have made this a non-event. She could not. There is something terribly wrong with the wait staff that only a complete staff training and disciplinary program will fix.
Room: Broken screen doors. Dirty windows bird droppings etc. Run down, broken, rotten outdoor furniture on veranda. Wasp infestation. Took 48 hours to fix some of the problems that never should have been seen had quality control been exercised. Need cleaning in little used areas. Needed amenities such as note paper, napkins, and pens. Again management quality control and supervision is non-existent.
Our friends who joined us were first time visitors. We had told them how wonderful this place was. We were embarrassed with the service and response to complaints. My friend who is usually one of the easiest going gentlemen I have ever known was most direct and pointed with his complaints to dining room staff. His manner was truly a shock to my wife and me. He just doesn't get demonstrative when confronted with poor service and incompetence. He did this time.

Room Tip: Be ready to take names and times. Contact the management staff immediately. Concierge tried hard to...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Silvergoat

Thank you for visiting us again and for your review. It is a pleasure to hear from our long-time guests as we value your opinions which give us an opportunity to improve the guest experience. We are always striving to provide legendary service; however, it appears we fell short on your visit. We appreciate your patronage of The Homestead and apologize for the inconvenience you and your friends experienced. We hope we will have another opportunity to welcome you back in the future so we may regain your goodwill and confidence and show you a truly great Homestead experience with friendly, Southern hospitality.

Reviewed October 6, 2012 via mobile

The homestead is a great hotel to get a way from it all the homestead is a great resort it has many stuff to do like the gun range and other stuff the staff is great and the rooms are great and clean and it has a nice indoor pool and out door pool and the grill has good food good serves so if your looking for a resort go to the homestead!

• Stayed: November 2011
1  Thank Kent W

Thank you for your review. It is good to know that you enjoyed The 1766 Grille and our recreational activities from swimming in our indoor and outdoor pools, to the Shooting Club. Our Shooting Club at The Homestead first opened in 1933 and quickly began building a reputation as one of the best recreational shooting facilities in the country. And the views of the mountains can’t be beat! We appreciate your endorsement and look forward to welcoming you back for another getaway in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hot Springs
#1 of 4 in Clifton Forge
The Inn at Mountain Quest
The Inn at Mountain Quest
#1 of 6 in Marlinton

Been to The Omni Homestead Resort? Share your experiences!