“Great Father & Son escape”

The Omni Homestead Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Hot Springs
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed November 27, 2011

This is probably one of the best places to go for a man trip. Skeet shooting, sporting clays, fly fishing ..... If you want to do it, you probably can. It makes a nice romantic retreat as well but probably not as many female friendly pursuits. The facilities are exceptional. It is an old resort so the rooms are small but comfortable. The food is also exceptional. We did an all inclusive food and activity package. There are many activities that really are not completely included but it is still a value over paying for everything separately. My wife and I have been before.

• Stayed: November 2011
Write a ReviewReviews (5,613)

Reviewed November 22, 2011

I stayed in a room right above the lobby. Very nice room, spacious and elegant. King mattress was sunken in two spots ("his" and "hers") not a comfortable mattress. The lobby uses real wood fireplaces, the hallway above the lobby smelled like a camp fire the whole week, but I guess that is what the place would have been like in the old days. So if you enjoy a historical twist, you can get used to the wood fire smell everywhere. Could hear lobby music quietly in the night in the room, but turning on the fan masked it. Check in staff (I checked in near midnight) was brusque and not patient. When asking a couple of questions said twice: "I already said that, it's right here. No. I already told you." Housekeeping staff was VERY nice and hospitable though! Always gracious and kind! Food was marginal, and exceptionally expensive. Loved the hikes in the area in fall.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank Meh122
Reviewed November 21, 2011

I had been seeing advertisements for The Homestead for several years and had been wanting to visit mostly for the history, but also because of all the available activities. But after seeing some mediocre reviews I was a little nervous about the cost. But then I scored a wonderful social coupon which offered: 2 nights, 2 buffet breakfasts, 2 free activities, free valet and discounts on other purchases, all for about $400. It was fate! I was meant to go :)

And it was absolutely wonderful! A friend recommended that at booking, I specifically request a room in the original part of the hotel (not the newer addition), and I was so glad she said that. She said the rooms in the addition were comparable to staying in any modern hotel. Not having seen those rooms, I'll have to take her word for it. My room had the antique-feel (the hotel was built in 1799) with extra high ceilings, wood floors under the carpeting (you can hear them squeak as you walk across), huge marble bathroom, and the most comfortable bed imaginable with downy-soft pillows and bedding. While the hotel has modern elevators, it was so much more fun to take the stairs as they're tucked away around corners, with slightly worn tread which indicates the years of foot-traffic. I liked that- I enjoy seeing history in angled stairs, old-fashioned fireman's watch turnkeys, huge lobbies with fireplaces, etc.

Right from my arrival, it was clear The Homestead is dedicated to the customer. I didn't arrive for check-in until 11:30pm, yet was met in the drive by a valet and welcoming receptionist. They have several concierge staff on duty to assist with dinner reservations and area activities. Shuttles are available practically 24/7 to carry guests to/from area restaurants (more about that later) and activities. The highlight of my trip was relaxing in the lobby on a couch infront of one of the fireplaces. This is a popular hangout, so pick the off hours (dinner time) to snag a fireplace couch! I curled up with a bottle of wine and engaged in wonderful conversations with complete strangers. This is also the location for the 3pm tea, which shouldn't be missed. I accidentally stumbled across tea-time on my way to catching the shuttle. It's complimentary, and has tea, hot chocolate, and small sandwiches, scones and chocolates.

The only reason why I am not giving The Homestead 5 stars is because of the cost/quality of food. The main dining room offers a wonderful buffet breakfast ($27), but after that, I opted to dine elsewhere due to the price. The Sam Snead's Tavern was highly recommended, so I had dinner there - big mistake. I order the rib-eye ($34) and it arrived with some glaze sauce covering it. I should have sent it back right then, but I ate it. It completely lacked that flavor which brings you back bite after bite. It truely was tasteless. I chose the red-skinned smashed potatoes, which appeared to have been dished with an icecream scooper -- earlier that morning. They were cold, dry and a perfect circle lump. There really aren't many options for meals in the area, so I don't have a solution to the food dilemma.

I participated in the hot springs, horseback riding and hiking the trails. All of which was wonderfully relaxing. I was a little taken aback that clothing was optional at the springs, but thankfully everyone was opting in favor of swimsuits while I was there :) The trails offer a good workout as they follow up & down the mountain.

I had a very relaxing time and would like to go back. I can't afford full-price, so I'll be waiting for another coupon :)

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the original part of the hotel to get the full atmosphere of the hotel built in 17...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank travelgirl703
Reviewed November 18, 2011

My husband and I just returned from a weekend at The Homestead and had an absolutely wonderful time. We traveled with our infant son and used a Living Social coupon. I had been twice before to the resort while it was my husband's first visit. I do think that the resort has gotten more casual over the years, and we went into the weekend with reasonable expectations for what the cost of food, drink and activities would be and with all of our reservations for activities, babysitting and dining locked in weeks ahead of time.

We played golf, hiked, went through the sporting clays course, had spa treatments, watched a movie at the theater, and ate at Sam Snead's, the Casino Club and the Main Dining Room. All were enjoyable, although the golf check-in staff were strangely unfriendly and the Old Course locker rooms were small, outdated, and borderline gross (this may be because most guests come straight to that course from their rooms so a facility isn't necessary?). Spa and shooting were great and the Old Course was in really good shape considering it was November. We went to afternoon tea just to check the box but it was a zoo with everyone checking in around that time as well--it was more relaxing to hang out in the Great Hall at any other time of day, when it was nowhere near crowded and the fireplaces were lit.

As with many rural resorts, the food was decent but overpriced for what it was--we enjoyed the ambiance of the main dining room and found the service friendly and unhurried, although other reviewers are right that the food is nowhere near five-star. The breakfast buffet was really yummy but I would not have paid the $27 for it if it had not been included in our deal.

Our room was large, clean, beautifully decorated and did not have any of the problems listed in other reviews--but we were not in the Garden wing. We also had requested a fridge which was waiting there when we checked in.

95% of the staff at the resort were genuinely friendly, helpful and welcoming (we didn't notice a difference in the friendliness of tip-seekers vs. non-tip seekers). The resort was incredibly accommodating to our needs with a small child--arranging for late checkout when he went down for an unexpected nap, going out of the way to provide babysitters and help rearrange our schedule when our plans had to change due to weather, etc. I was very nervous to leave our three-month old with the resort babysitter but she could not have been nicer and he was content every time we returned to the room.

I would certainly go back but given the cost of even a short weekend trip would want to look for another package or deal that included activities or a meal plan.

Room Tip: We had a corner room in the main wing and it was large and quiet.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank mcb1233
Reviewed November 17, 2011

Exterior aesthetics aside, this hotel does little to rise above mediocrity.
Starting with reception, I agree with a prior reviewer that most of the staff at check-in are soley motivated by tips and once the money is pocketed the charm fades.
My room was in the garden wing, and while I did not mind the long walk to the elevators, I found the room to be less than one would expect from a "four star" facility. The carpet was dirty, worn and threadbare in spots. The shower tiles had very obvious mold spots towards and on the ceiling and the mattress had actual body length impressions from lengthy use. I have a suspicion that those guests relegated to the garden wing are those who were not paying the full advertised rates (I was on a $400 Living Social deal).
The food was awful. I repeat, awful. The first night I had steak, which was hands down the worst +$35 piece of meat I have ever tasted. The breakfast buffet was the only meal of any quality that I experienced while at the resort.
Not too many activities besides golf and the pricey spa are on-site, but they did go quite a ways in saving an otherwise average weekend stay at an overrated hotel. Unfortunately when I purchased my "deal" through Living Social, I purchased two weekends. Now I have to decide whether to give the Homestead one more chance, or perhaps just gift the remaining weekend to an in-law.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank SDF521
TheHomesteadResort, Manager at The Omni Homestead Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2011

We sincerely appreciate the constructive feedback by this guest concerning their food and beverage and housekeeping issues. We will most certainly identify and address the items noted, as staff attitude and proactivity is critical to our service delivery. We will use these comments as an opportunity for coaching and instructing our staff. We are glad that this guest took the time to impart information that will help us provide the experience our guests expect.

Esme Pitard
Director of Food and Beverage

Reviewed November 14, 2011

Its an amazing weekend getaway - perfect for couples.

Pros:
The scenic views are amazing - the atmosphere is very relaxing. Rooms were spacious and very clean. The resort has been very well kept as well. Staff are super friendly. Good wine list.
Tons of activities to keep you busy.

Cons:
Food is not that great - Especially, the Casino restaurant was terrible.
Activities were a little on the pricey side.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank rj17112
Reviewed November 12, 2011

My wife and I have stayed at The Homestead a number of times over the years. Each visit reminds us of the reasons why we continue to come back. The politeness of the staff, beautiful natural surroundings, generally good food, and elegant, yet, comfortable accommodations are their signatures of tradition. This stay, however, of the two dinning rooms, I would suggest sticking with the tradition main dinning room and not the highly celebrated 1766 Grille. The Grille was simply not very good.
Many folks go to The Homestead for golf, hiking, horseback riding, but, if you are like me -- simply, to relax, walk, read, and let life's stresses disappear. The Homestead is perfect for that. The Homestead demands nothing from you. If you like the idea of being completely pampered for a day or two, then treat yourself to The Homestead.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
#1 of 4 in Clifton Forge
The Inn at Mountain Quest
The Inn at Mountain Quest
#1 of 6 in Marlinton

Been to The Omni Homestead Resort? Share your experiences!