We just returned from a three night stay at the Homestead. Overall the trip was very nice. The resort is beautiful, the staff was extremely helpful and pleasant, the Blue Ridge Mountains provide some breathtaking scenery, but the prices on the menus in the "Fine Dining" venues were not in line with the food quality, at all.
Our first night we ate at the Grille. When my husband called to make the dinner reservations for the trip he was told it was the only restaurant open that night (off season & mid week). The servers were gracious, knowledgeable and friendly. Unfortunately, the food was mediocre at best and we were surprised that there was not a menu for the kids since it is a family resort and the Grille was our only dining option that evening. The Sole Meuniere ($52) and was bland and the presentation was unimpressive. The fish of the day, Orange Ruffy served "en papillotte," was just okay, and definitely not worth the $32 we paid. The filet mignon served with Tiger Shrimp ($42), was good but still a bit pricey, and the duck ($36) was delicious and the best deal on the menu. The total bill for two appetizers, four entrees, two demi bottles of wine, two cocktails and two soft drinks with tax and tip (15%) came to $382.
Except for the fact that my children were provided "kids menus" over the course of the next two evenings, the experience was the same in the casual restaurant and the other fine dining restaurant, expensive and mediocre. I will say that of the three dinners, the third evening was the most disappointing. The entrees were not pleasant to the taste at all. The prime rib, the two new york strips and the duck were so salty that they were unpalatable. Whomever was finishing the sauces in the kitchen that evening must have had a bad day or something. We ordered two desserts, the Gold Brick Sundae and the Dueling Cakes, both were delicious and what you would expect in a restaurant that used the term "fine dining." On a side note, my husband and kids also noticed that the mashed potatoes were exactly the same in all three restaurants and while I would not say that they were from a box, they certainly did not have the texture of freshly cooked and prepared mashed potatoes.
The golf, the skeet shooting, the rifle range, the indoor pool and the Jefferson Pools were all a lot of fun and totally worth the expense. All attendants were very friendly and very helpful. There was an abundance of clean towels at the huge, spotless indoor pool.
I had two spa treatments and found the staff to be extremely pleasant, but the services were extremely overpriced.
The daily tea was nice. We bowled each evening after dinner and it was a lot of fun. Again, the staff was extremely accommodating, which really made the experience much more fun.
Overall, I would recommend a trip to The Homestead. It is a charming, old world resort experience that is immersed in American history and set against some of the most beautiful landscape in this country.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Open since 1766, The Omni Homestead is one of America's most storied resorts, offering unparalleled hospitality and southern charm in a 2,000-acre setting within the Allegheny Mountains of southwestern Virginia. Renowned for its natural hot springs, The Homestead is distinguished by 483 luxurious guest rooms and suites, 72,000 square feet of meeting space, a wide array of fine and casual dining choices, an expansive spa, championship golf courses that include one of the nation's finest mountain courses (The Cascades), Allegheny Springs, a two-acre family-friendly water attraction complete with lazy river, water slides and water play zone. The resort also offers the South's first downhill ski area, an Equestrian Center, top-rated Shooting Club, archery, canoeing, falconry, Segway tours and a wealth of other recreational attractions. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Omni Hotels & Resorts, Priceline, getaroom.com, HotelsforEveryone, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Orbitz, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your The Omni Homestead Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Homestead Hotel Hot Springs
- Homestead Hotel Hot Springs
- Homestead Va
- Homestead Hot Springs Virginia
- Homestead Hot Springs Va
- Homestead Resort Hot Springs