“Inconsistent”

Dockside Restaurant
Ranked #12 of 51 Restaurants in Hopewell
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood, Pub
Good for: Scenic view, Large groups, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Richmond, Virginia
“Inconsistent”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

I wasn't really sure how to rate this restaurant since we have had good and bad experiences. My husband really likes this place where I am on the fence. The food can be really good at times and we have only been for dinner yet friends that have gone with us say the seafood was frozen, not fresh. I normally get the broiled scallops and they are usually good. The service has also been inconsistent. It is right on the James River and the sunset views are really nice...ignore the Honeywell factory up the river.

• Visited December 2012

pittsburgh
“Just ok”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

Stopped for dinner while staying at a local b&b after recommendation by hotel proprietor. Nice location, pleasant view and pretty good service as we were the only customers in the off season at this place which was one of the only few open at this time of year.
Food was okay -- nothing special and a bit on the high price for what we got.
Would not stop here again if there were other choices but it satisfied us for the night.

• Visited January 2013
Hopewell, VA
“A diamond in the rough.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2013

I've most recently visited for dinner. I had the seafood platter (broiled) and the crab dip with two sides and hushpuppies. The hushpuppies were hand made (I could tell by the taste.. the best hushpuppies I've ever had anywhere). The platter was very good (just wish for maybe a little larger portions). The crab dip was out of this world! Lived in the Bay/Annapolis/VA area for over 45 years and no place can touch this excellent crab dip. The waitstaff all worked as a team and the service was perfect. A very pleasant and relaxing atmosphere, created by staff and the water views. In the 16 years I've lived in this area I have never had bad food or service at Dockside. I even encouraged my daughter to use Dockside for two proms while in high school and she was very happy with everything. I am surprised at the bad reviews and am certain there is a lot of exaggeration and embellishing. With restaurant competition being what it is I find it very unlikely that a business would stay open for over 20 years if some of these previous 'experiences' really happened as stated. I would recommend Dockside highly to anyone. If you are looking for the Ritz however, you will need to find a restaurant in the District or N. Va (and you will not get the views and atmosphere that you will get at Dockside, on the James River, the river where America began).

• Visited January 2013
Hamilton, Ohio
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“James River Plantations/Lunch any one?”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2012

We have discovered this restaurant while seeing some of the Plantations along the James River. My Husband just loves oysters and it is difficult for us to find them in our area. We discovered this place 5 years ago, and, every time we go to our timeshare in Williamsburg, we make a special trip to Dockside for lunch. The She Crab soup is absolutely wonderful! My husband claims "These are the best fried oysters I have put in my mouth"!

Lunch prices are very reasonable.
Dinner prices are more expensive, so, in my opinion, Lunch is the best deal.

Service was accommodating and pleasant.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank Peggy J
Mechanicsville, Virginia, United States
“Manager and staff very rude”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

The only thing good about this place is the view. Food was cold, service was bad and manager was RUDE!

• Visited September 2012