“Dirty, Dirty...”

Econo Lodge near Fort Lee at I-295
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Hopewell
Reviewed February 27, 2012

The room was so dirty, dusty, and gross. I was staying for 4 nights(Thursday through Monday morning), I had to go to the store and buy cleaning products, everything had to be washed down, the walls where I thought we might touch were dirty, looked like boogers in some spots, the pictures above the beds had little greasy hand prints all over them, the mirrors had a hazy film on them, the shower curtain had spots of mold on it, the coffee pot was very nasty. Hair in the tub and on the floor of the bathroom.I went to visit family 2 hours away on Saturday morning, so I took all of my things with me, expecting the room to be cleaned when i returned, the cleaning staff had come in and thought we had checked out, so she hung a do not disturb sign on the door so that she would know to clean it the next morning, so i came back to garbage still in my room, the beds not made, and no clean towels, rather frustrating. It had two positive things that I found' one was that they only allowed smoking on the 3rd floor so no other areas of the hotel smelled like smoke and the staff was friendly.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed September 28, 2011

Walked in at 10PM on my way to a reenactment about an hour away, so I could get a good nights' sleep and shower before finishing the trip in the morning. Young lady at the desk was reasonably pleasant, rate was good, the sheets were clean and the room, while needing some paint here and there, looked and smelled like it has seen regular cleaning. Bathroom was clean, towels and such were what one expects. AM breakfast was microwave Jimmy Deans biscuits and sausage, some cereal, muffins, bagels and such, coffee and juice. Again, about what one would expect. For my needs, and for those of the average person needing to ge off the road for a night and move on, very adequate lodgings. Easily the least expensive of the several ionns at this exit.

Room Tip: Non smoking rooms seem to be as promised
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed May 6, 2009

3 story property with an elevator, all interior corridors. Check-in was quick and uneventful. Room had a few more amenities than a lot of Econo Lodge's. Hairdryer, ironing board/iron,coffee maker. Room was clean and fairly comfortable. No desk, but a small round table with comfortable chairs and the height was fine to work off of. Wi-Fi was terrible....good signal from 2 sources but very, very slow. Was like being on dial-up. Temp control was broken on the ac unit so couldn't adjust the temp of the air flowing out. Bed was fairly comfortable, pillows a little on the soft side. OK breakfast, small breakfast room with pastries, bagels, cereal, microwaveable sausage biscuits that were actually pretty good, coffee and juice. Overall an OK stay except for the slow internet. Several restaurants close by, including one next door.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed April 1, 2009

Although, the hotel is not in the best condition, I had a great experience with the employees. The staff was friendly and truly made the trip. I stayed for three days and would deifinitely stay again. The price is also a plus.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed November 4, 2006

Had reservations at this hotel for a month in advance, Hopewell, Va. is the only place to stay to tour the James River plantations, Jamestown, etc. When we arrived, the desk clerk slowly raised her eyes from her computer screen where she was seated and said "Yeah?" Finally she stood up and checked us in, never smiled nor offered any greeting of any kind. Late that night, we found we had a doggy bag left from dinner that really smelled of garlic, so being in PJ's and ready for bed, we sealed the half sandwich in a plastic bag and set it right outside our door til morning when we could roam the halls and find a trash receptacle. 7:30am the next morning the desk clerk called to admonish us for failing to "Keep these halls CLEARED". She was about 20 steps from the offending bag and evidently felt it was more fun to wake us up and give a lecture than just be STAFF and pick it up if it bothered her. That was unacceptable, and I complained at the desk whereupon another clerk said "dunno who that could have been". DUH, whoever was on duty!!
I am not terribly picky about rooms and spend little time in them, but this one had cobwebs draped in all the corners, and altho I was there for three days, never got room service unless I asked for it. This hotel is handy to the road, but doesn't have enuff going for it, to be able to afford staff who don't have any social skills at all. Made me wonder who was serving whom!

• Stayed: November 2006
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6  Thank usethebean
A TripAdvisor Member
MD
Reviewed March 29, 2006

I stayed at the Econo Lodge Hopewell in Hopewell VA on March 18 for one night. When you walked in the hotel they had beer bottles on the breakfast bar and when you got off the elevator they had food on the plant table. The next morning we noticed that we had been bit by something. My roommate and I had very large marks on our legs. The next day I could not walk because it had gotten very big and the venom spread through out my leg. After going to the doctors they had to send me to a special doctor to have it looked at. The doctor had to cut the infected part out of my leg leaving a whole the size of a quarter because the venom was killing the cells in my leg. The hotel management did not want to do anything about it because he said they never hear of anyone getting bit by anything in the hotel before. Because of this I had to miss a week from work. I would not suggest anyone to stay there.

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
New Jersey
Reviewed August 7, 2005

My sister and I stayed in this hotel in early August. This hotel was the worst. The linens were not changed on the beds. There were stains and hair on the sheets (yes, you know what I am talking about) from the prior occupants. The manager came and changed the sheets and cleaned the hair from the mattress cover. It was disgusting. The refrigerator had hair inside of it. Terrible, terrible hotel. The floor was also dirty. This is not a nice place to stay and it was not cheap.

• Stayed: August 2005
6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hopewell
Quality Inn at Fort Lee
Fairfield Inn & Suites Hopewell
Best Western Plus Hopewell Inn
Hampton Inn Petersburg / Hopewell
Baymont Inn & Suites Prince George at Fort Lee

Been to Econo Lodge near Fort Lee at I-295? Share your experiences!