“good food, good value”

Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed September 23, 2013

I visit Hillsville a few times each year make a point to visit Rio Grande. Very good food, friendly staff, great value.

There are newer reviews for Rio Grande

Reviewed September 1, 2013

Stopped in here after a long day at the Hillsville Antiques, Flea Market and Gun Show. Place was packed but got seated right away, fast chips/salsa and drink orders (of course Jumbo Marg's) which were great. Waiter took the order and then things went downhill a bit. After 2 more Jumbo Marg's and a lot of silliness and laughter, the food finally came, Had to be the longest wait ever at a Mexican restaurant for sure, and it was long after dinner time, so no real excuse. Would go back but would definitely tell them 'yo tengo prisa'!!!

Reviewed August 5, 2013

We stopped in this small town to check into our hotel after 10 hours of driving. it is right off of I-77. We asked at the desk for a recommendation on a Mexican restaurant and received directions to this location in a strip plaza. It has a small outside dining area. The restaurant is brightly lit, and very clean looking. That was promising. I ordered a wine, it came with dregs in the glass. The waiter noticed but did not offer to replace it. I ordered sausage in a blend of vegetables. She ordered beef enchiladas. Both orders were overcooked and very salty. Yet somehow the refried beans were bland. Please note there is another restaurant down the road with a similar name. We did not experience that one.

1  Thank projectboy
Reviewed July 22, 2013

After traveling all day we decided it we deserved a hot meal. We located it on tripadvisor and had to try it. I ordered the El Grande Special and my wife had 2 chicken tostados. When my meal arrived I could not believe it. The platter was HUGE! Everything tasted great and the chile relleano was one of the best. There was no way I could eat all of it. My wifes tostados were covered with chicken and she said they were very good. Our waiter was very pleasant and kept our sodas filled. Total bill with tax and tip $25

Reviewed July 1, 2013

We just spent 5 days vacationing in the vicinity of the Blue Ridge Parkway near Milepost 270 and decided to drive for dinner at nearby Hillsville, VA. Before leaving we read reviews and thought, "Gee, this place has great reviews on Trip Advisor, so we know we won't be disappointed!" Boy, were we wrong.

Pluses: the staff was friendly; they accommodated a request for a low-fat dish (veggie fajitas), and the cost was cheap, only $25 for two people including 3 beers.

Now for the downside.
The food was completely tasteless. No amount of hot sauce (including the 2 habanero sauces available at tableside), lime juice, salt or pepper could give this food flavor. We should have known this meal was not going to work when the guacamole appetizer lacked any avocado taste although it was indeed green. We cook and eat a lot of Mexican food--fancy, homestyle, comida casera, etc. but this was blah to say the least. No need to stop again in Hillsville. We only want to know how this restaurant got the great reviews(!)

2  Thank coucyr