“A pleasant experience”

Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed July 22, 2013

After traveling all day we decided it we deserved a hot meal. We located it on tripadvisor and had to try it. I ordered the El Grande Special and my wife had 2 chicken tostados. When my meal arrived I could not believe it. The platter was HUGE! Everything tasted great and the chile relleano was one of the best. There was no way I could eat all of it. My wifes tostados were covered with chicken and she said they were very good. Our waiter was very pleasant and kept our sodas filled. Total bill with tax and tip $25

Reviewed July 1, 2013

We just spent 5 days vacationing in the vicinity of the Blue Ridge Parkway near Milepost 270 and decided to drive for dinner at nearby Hillsville, VA. Before leaving we read reviews and thought, "Gee, this place has great reviews on Trip Advisor, so we know we won't be disappointed!" Boy, were we wrong.

Pluses: the staff was friendly; they accommodated a request for a low-fat dish (veggie fajitas), and the cost was cheap, only $25 for two people including 3 beers.

Now for the downside.
The food was completely tasteless. No amount of hot sauce (including the 2 habanero sauces available at tableside), lime juice, salt or pepper could give this food flavor. We should have known this meal was not going to work when the guacamole appetizer lacked any avocado taste although it was indeed green. We cook and eat a lot of Mexican food--fancy, homestyle, comida casera, etc. but this was blah to say the least. No need to stop again in Hillsville. We only want to know how this restaurant got the great reviews(!)

2  Thank coucyr
Reviewed May 26, 2013

The food was really good and we could not believe how much cheaper it was compared to our Mexican restaurant. We will be back. Highly recommended..

1  Thank Shannon T
Reviewed April 28, 2013

I never would have guessed that I would find such excellent Mexican food in such an out of the way place. If you are ever in this area, it is definitely the place to go. We arrived near the end of the night and the 4 of us ate for under $60.00 including deserts. The staff was great. The decor was very traditional and very nice. There were very interesting metal sculptures in front of the restaurant. Being the end of the night we had a glimpse of the cleaning done by the staff. I couldn't believe how they thorough they were. I really can't say enough good things. I only wish we had a restaurant like this near our home town.

Reviewed April 12, 2013

Three adults ate lunch here and when our bill arrived it was for $12.90. The food was great, the quantity generous and our server Ariel was very friendly and accommodating. Worth driving a few miles out of your way to get this service and value.

The artwork and decorating are also fun and a nice change of pace from stopping at fast food chains.