“What a suprise”

Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed April 28, 2013

I never would have guessed that I would find such excellent Mexican food in such an out of the way place. If you are ever in this area, it is definitely the place to go. We arrived near the end of the night and the 4 of us ate for under $60.00 including deserts. The staff was great. The decor was very traditional and very nice. There were very interesting metal sculptures in front of the restaurant. Being the end of the night we had a glimpse of the cleaning done by the staff. I couldn't believe how they thorough they were. I really can't say enough good things. I only wish we had a restaurant like this near our home town.

Reviewed April 12, 2013

Three adults ate lunch here and when our bill arrived it was for $12.90. The food was great, the quantity generous and our server Ariel was very friendly and accommodating. Worth driving a few miles out of your way to get this service and value.

The artwork and decorating are also fun and a nice change of pace from stopping at fast food chains.

Reviewed January 21, 2013

If you ever find yourself in Hillsville, Virginia I recommend this joint. It's reminiscent of countless other Mexican restaurants in small towns throughout the U.S. but what sets it slightly above those places is the service. Each time I've been there I've been impressed with the amiable and helpful staff.

The menu has a decent vegetarian section and there are great drink specials.

Reviewed December 2, 2012

You might not find the Rio Grande unless you ask a local, because it's tucked away in a strip mall well off the road at the top of a hill, but it's definitely worth the effort. Generic Mexican decor, a great variety of delicious and inexpensive food, friendly service, and very cheap Mexican beer make it a winner for any road-weary traveler who's pulled off I-77 a couple of miles away. I was wowed by the Camarón Yucatan -- a mixture of squash, peppers, and onions combined with an abundance of grilled shrimp. Next time I plan to sample the agues frescas and maybe one of the mole dishes. If you're traveling with kids who don't like Mexican, they offer such staples as corn dogs and chicken nuggets.

1  Thank Dunyazade
Reviewed October 14, 2012 via mobile

In a very unassuming location this restaurant serves great food and great prices. Portions were large everything was fresh and tasted great. Staff was friendly, attentive and everthing was as ordered. A very pleasant experience.