“Family-friendly AND Palate-friendly”
Review of Doukenie Winery

Doukenie Winery
Ranked #1 of 2 things to do in Hillsboro
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Out of all the vineyards we have been to, this is the first one I would want to bring my whole family for a picnic. Look at the photos to get a better idea of what I mean. Once I saw a man fishing in the pond with his young sons. Much to the delight of the kids, the fish were biting! My wife ends up getting a few bottles each time we visit. Have a look at the "Heritage Club" buying program. The discounts on wine are good, but the other benefits are the real hidden treasure to belonging.

All reviews
"beautiful setting"
in 4 reviews
"plan to return"
in 2 reviews
"nice selection of wines"
in 2 reviews
"look forward to going back"
"lovely afternoon"
"bread"
in 3 reviews
"saturday afternoon"

Reviewed June 5, 2013

This winery is the host of the VA Wine Country Half Marathon, so you can imagine they have large and nice grounds. They get points right there! The wines were good. We tried a bunch, but didn't take any home.

Reviewed January 20, 2013

I went here yesterday with a group of friends. This was my first visit here. While we enjoyed our time there, I was surprised to find that, compared to all the other Virginia wineries I have visited over the years, the atmosphere was pretty dull. There were only a few people there, no live music, and the place didn't have much in terms of decoration. The wine tasting was the most expensive we've ever had ($8 per person), and the portions were especially small. My boyfriend and I weren't that excited about any of the wines, but the couple we were with really enjoyed them so it was a split decision! The people working there were friendly. I'm sure this place is more fun during the summer and when they have live music.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

This is a self stated "mom and pop" winery. They do not sell through grocery stores or retail. Wines are very good and the facility is worth the visit. Nice, though basic, indoor and outdoor seating and a pond/lake overlook. Staff is very friendly. Good membership program for wine discounts. Did not try the food.