New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Crowne Plaza Dulles Airport Hotel

Crowne Plaza Dulles Airport Hotel
Ranked #3 of 20 Hotels in Herndon
NJ
“Big, clean rooms & a Houlihans Restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2011

Hotel was about 10 minutes from the airport and had a shuttle service. I stayed in the tower and the rooms were hugh! Very clean and well appointed. I normally wake up several times during the night when I stay at hotels but I slept right through to when my alarm went off. They had wireless internet throughout the building. I wanted to watch the hockey game so I went downstairs and they have a Houlihans attached to the hotel. There are also a lot of other restaurants in the area and a movie theatre.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank NJhotelguy
Crowne-Plaza-Dulles, Owner at Crowne Plaza Dulles Airport Hotel, responded to this review, August 5, 2011
Thank you so much for your kind review of our Crowne Plaza NJhotelguy! You touched on many of my favorite features including the free WI-FI (only full service hotel offering the service) and watching hockey in Houlihan's (I hope the Devils played well for you that night).

Thank you for taking the time to post you review...and thank you for your business.

David Welliver

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
  • Turkish first
West Chester, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2011

Melisa Geter was our reunion person that I and one other person dealt with for our reunion. Melisa was always very accommodating to our needs and ideas and the plans we wanted to do for our reunion. Just as an example we wanted to have a barbeque out side and she worked it out to our satisfaction and the needs for about 48 people. Melisa also gave us other activities around the area that we could pick from for our members. Melisa really has quite the experience for military reunions. She is a great asset to your hotel.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank jerrys61
Hi West Chester Pennsylvania and thank you for the time you took to complete this great Trip-Advisor survey. We take great pride in participating with military reunions - they are not only filled with great stories but make us feel patriotic as well. Thank you for your kind comments and for your business loyalty.

Ferndale, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2011

I was recently the reunion coordinator for a military reunion at this Crowne Plaza Hotel. The rates were excellent, the staff profoundly helpful, the location convenient to the airport - with a nearby bus connection to the METRO. There were plenty of nearby restaurant options. I give the location five stars. We were pleased with the rooms and guest services. I am a retired airline pilot and have enjoyed and suffered from the extremes of hotels all over the world. In comparison to the hotel rates in the District, and housekeep in those hotels, this hotel was an incredible value.

The food services staff put forth an excellent banquet for our group of 43. Melissa the reunion coordinator, Jay the food service manager, were most helpful.

Overall we were very pleased.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank willyum2
Hello Ferndale Washington and thank you for your kind review of our Crowne Plaza. We love our military reunions - not only are the stories fascinating but it makes us feel a little patriotic to play a roll in these kinds of reunions. Thank you for your kind comments and thank you for your business loyalty!

Cleveland, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2011

If you are looking for convenience to Dulles, this is the hotel for you. If you have other considerations-forget it. The Marriot is DIRECTLY across the street. We booked a King room months before arrival. We requested a change to Queen and were denied. We were told the hotel has many high point priority customers and the queen and Tower rooms are for them. When we arrived, they had arbitrarily changed to a double room. We were in the double room for 5 days/4 nights. There were two false fire alarms, one of which was at 3:30AM! Guests were huddled under the hotel carport in the rain for nearly an hour. The elevator carpets are filthy, not even vacuumed. (We were there 5 days)
They do not change the bedding daily and honestly, it looked wrinkled and unchanged when we arrived. Even when laundered, they are not pressed. The desk could not provide area restaurants or tour info just DC info.
So, if you have a zillion Priority points, you may get your room request. If you are there for business or in and out of Dulles-fine. We had no choice. It was the choses sight for a reunion. Otherwise-choose another hotel.

Room Tip: Be a Priority Member with lots of points.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank traveler31_11
Cheltenham, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2011

I cannot be more complimentary about this hotel. I stayed here last night before I flew out of Dulles, and the hotel is fantastic. The shuttle bus makes the hotel superbly convenient, but the interior and touches of class are wonderful. The pool is big enough to swim in. The fitness room is well equipped. Rooms are good sizes, TVs are huge, beds comfortable. Lots of freebies, including water and snacks.

Not only the hotel itself, but the staff were also excellent. My flight was late, so asked to stay a little longer - a 3pm check out. They staff said this was fine without any questions asked at all. They also booked my taxis for me for my business meetings. Excellent. I am glad the manager comes on here to read comments - he should be proud of his teams efforts.

The restaurant attached also serves good food - I think it is called Houlihan's. It is a shame the service is so atrociously terrible in there, however. It has soured my entire experience, and I hope the hotel manager passes this on to the management of the restaurant. Slow service, and innatentive staff. Also, this afternoon I wondered down to get a beer as I had some time to kill, and the guy asked for some ID. Aside from the fact I am well beyond this age, I could only produce a UK drivers license. It was all I had on my as my baggage was packed up and securely locked away. EVERYWHERE else accepted a UK license, but this guy was just plain rude. He said "I am not going to serve you unless you go and get your passport. Your UK driving license means nothing to me". Unbelievable. I know it is the law, but he was just so rude to go with it too...

So well done Crowne Plaza, you excelled yourselves. But avoid the restaurant. Get room service instead. Same food, but delivered by staff who give a ****.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
4 Thank mellowlellow
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2011

As a frequent traveller for business as well as leisure, I have stayed at the Crowne Plaza (Dulles location) on several trips. It is a great location and is quiet and clean. I especially appreciate the staff who are friendly and are sensitive to the needs of frequent travellers. Wayne Thompson, the Room Manager, goes out of his way to remember guests and ensure their satisfaction. There are numerous hotels around this location, but I find myself returning to this hotel repeatedly because of the service and the fact that know I will get a good night's sleep.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the tower.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank PackFan320
Crowne-Plaza-Dulles, Owner at Crowne Plaza Dulles Airport Hotel, responded to this review, April 15, 2011
Good Afternoon Spokane Washington and thank you for taking the time to share helpful and kind comments of your experience with our Crowne Plaza Dulles Airport.

We are proud of all our staff and appreciate your recognition. In particular, Wayne Thompson is a hard-working and true hotel professional and I am pleased he has made a great impression on you.

Thank you again for your positive input and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Yours,

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2011

I was very surprised at how efficient the hotel operated. The process from reservations to check-in was very efficient, quick, and professional. I felt welcome starting with the van driver that picked me up at Dulles Airport. The Front Desk staff made me feel warm and welcome when I walked in. The room I stayed in felt fresh and new and HUGE! The King size bed was comfortable, with large pillowtops. I also really like the comforter that was on top of the bed. The carpet was vibrant and felt clean. The granite countertop tables and bathrooms were also nice.

The large Philips flat screen TV had an hdmi hook up...so I was able to watch my Netflix movie online while sleeping on the bed. The hotel also had a listing of all the programs on each channel, which is pretty convenient. Because I do a lot of work in the room, I use the desk and office chair a lot. The quality and size of the desk and chairs are good as well as the lighting.

There was a mid-size refrigerator with a full range thermostat that I can control...I cranked it up cold enough to create ice in my coke! Above the frig was a nice coffee and tea set as well as a microwave. The single cup coffee maker is a big plus...convenient so I can brew my cup of coffee before I check out in the morning. The 100% Colombian supremo coffee was really good...there is also a choice of decaf if that's your choice.

The other thing I like about the hotel is that the restaurant (Houlihan's) is attached to the hotel, so you don't have to go outside to go to dinner. It's very convenient...the food was very good. If you feel like a quick bite later at night, there's also a Wendy's and Taco Bell a couple of steps away that stays open til late. I picked up a couple of items at 7-11 as well (which is right across the street).

One of the nice features of the hotel is that they have an Enterprise Rent-A-Car inside the hotel, so you can rent the car when you need it. And connected to the hotel is covered parking, which is great if it rains or snows. The hotel also has a small but nice gym and indoor swimming pool (which I'll use next time!).

I was very satisfied with my stay and will certainly re-book next time I have a trip to Dulles.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Hello Govoyage, and thank you for the time and effort you took to share the kind comments of your experience at our Crowne Plaza Dulles Airport. The helpfulness and detail of your comments will no doubt benefit other Tripadvisor users when they research their hotel decisions in the Dulles Corridor.

We are very thankful to have earned your business and I hope to thank you in person one day.

Yours,