“Go somewhere else” 2 of 5 stars

Crowne Plaza Dulles Airport Hotel
Ranked #3 of 20 Hotels in Herndon
“Go somewhere else”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2007

I booked this room through Hotwire for about $70/night. Mind you, I'm not picky considering I got such a good price for the room. However, this place has some major maintenance and hospitality issues that it needs to address. The room overall was clean and pretty. It was on the small side, but very workable. My mom came to town to visit and I stayed with her for two nights. First, they put her in a King bed room when she requested double beds. I left my mother in the room with all our luggage and told her I would go down and get it changed while she waited there rather than haul the luggage up & down the elevator. When I told the front desk I wanted to change rooms to double beds, they asked if we had messed up the room. I told the staff no, and then they asked where the other person in my party was I told them I left them in the room upstairs with all our luggage. They asked me, "Are you sure they haven't messed up the room?". That did not sit well with me.

We got to a new room with double beds and turned on the heater. It made a horrible racket that was this loud rattle the whole time it ran. It was so loud, you had to talk over it to each other. I did not want to change rooms again, so we tried to put something heavy on top of the unit to help it stop rattling. Nothing worked. I finally covered it with a heavy coat to help muffle the noise but still allow the heat in. It did help, but did not make the noise go away.

Also, a major safety problem was that the shower did not work properly. I warn you now: If you take a shower, no matter what time of day, the water will go from scalding hot to ice cold every 30 seconds. I seriously had to examine my feet at the end of my shower to see if I had burns on them. This was true at 8am and at noon on a weekday. Watch out!!!

When I checked out of the hotel, I took a cart from the bellman (teenage kid). I lugged all the luggage out to the car but it was too difficult to try to maneuver the cart back into the lobby due to the fact that only one door opens at the hotel's back door near their parking, so I left the cart down the hall near the door to the garage. I then told the bellman where I left the cart and why. He sighed heavily and went out to retrieve it.

When I checked out of the hotel, I asked for a receipt and the hotel said since I did not book it directly with them, they could not give me anything. I have booked many hotels through hotwire before, and while I know the customary answer is that I have to get the receipt from hotwire, they usually can print up some type of documentation for me from the hotel. Also, the hotel staff was very short with us. We asked about a shuttle to the Air & Space Museum at Dulles airport. They said it departed at 9:30 and returned at 1pm. We asked if there were any other times and they answered, "No!", very harshly as if we were asking for such a great favor. Also, I asked about the airport shuttle and received a very similar answer.

Overall, the hotel was very pretty downstairs and had a nice business center. That was about it. The staff was rude, the shower was a safety hazard, the air conditioner/heating unit was louder than having an airplane in your room, and there are too many other options within one square block to stay here again. Even at $70/night, I would look elsewhere.

• Liked — Beautiful Lobby
  • Disliked — Rude staff
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
1 Thank dctx

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
March, Cambridgshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2007

Hotel was excellent. We were upgraded to an Executive Room which had free access to the Lounge with free Coke, Sprite, Diet Coke and Water. Also there were crisps free there too and a big plasma tv. I would not have paid for this service though, as I did not think it was worth any monetary value.

On our first night we went to Dinner at Houlihan's Restaurant which is right next door. We were very impressed with the food and the service we received from Annette - she was attentive and made us feel very welcome. The price was reasonable too.

On our second night we went back to the Restaurant, and we could not have had a different experience if we had asked for it. Our server seemed new (which was fine!) however, we were not asked about our salad's and dressings, and also our children's main meals came prior to our starter. When our starter did come it was thrown on the table. At that point we had a word with the Manager - who was useless. Was totally uninterested and had nothing to say about our service. We thought it may just be us, until the table next to us complained too. It was at that point the Manager started to take notice.

They dropped the tab and gave us free breakfast the next day. I have to say though, I would not have paid for the breakfast either. There was little choice, and most of it was dry.

In summary, I would stay here again, it seemed a nice area, and we were able to get the bus to the Metro station and into DC downtown, however, I would be thinking twice about using the restaurant.

• Liked — Quality of the rooms and the comfort of the beds
  • Disliked — Noisy Air Conditioning in each room - was like a jet engine!!
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2007

This place has been recently done up and is a big improvement from the former Day's Inn it was. Rooms in the main part of the hotel are small but I managed to get an upgrade to the Executive level and found a very spacious room with fridge/microwave etc marble in the bathroom, and new carpets and beds. As this place has been renovated recently I would recommend it. From my experience with this hotel brand, they tend to let things go after the initial work, so in a year or so I would be less enthusiastic. However I found the bed very comfortable which for me is critical when traveling on business. They have a chain Houlahans Irish style restr/bar which is ok.

The hotel is good for local business or an overnight stop to/from Dulles airport as it is right next to the on/off ramp of the airport road. I wouldn't recommend it for much else as Herndon town itself is a declining area and doesn't feel safe walking around at night.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
Tallmadge, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2007

This room is so small! The internet said they had a microwave, DVD player (when I requested a room with these at the front desk they said that they had some rooms with these, but did not give any of those rooms to me). The lifeguard was sleeping ~ by the pool when we went down (2 children). The location is difficult to navigate from Downtown DC. The breakfast was meager...The hotel price may look good, but you are paying too much!

Stayed March 2007
2 Thank CheerspiritMOM
Glen Ellyn, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2007

Very nice hotel with the quality and features you would expect from a Crowne Plaza, but the hotel staff could use some training. I booked a special package through the hotel Web site, and it included tickets and other amenities, but for whatever reason this information did not get to the hotel staff until I called the Choice Rewards people (that's Crowne Plaza's frequent guest program) and had them call the hotel. After the call they came through with everything, so it may just have been a language barrier issue (the front desk staff when I registered were not native English speakers). Overall I would say the staff was not at fault for the error, but rather the hotel management. They should give more training to the staff and make them aware of the special packages they are offering.

• Liked — Typical Crowne Plaza quality, with an indoor pool and good restaurant
  • Disliked — Front desk staff not very well trained
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank TheBigK
Vermont
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2006

Visited this hotel on business. Very clean and the service was great. Did get the chance to have meals with our meetings and they were great. Location near airport works very well and shops in the World Gate Center very close

• Liked — Location, Clean, Friendly Staff
  • Disliked — Intranet in room
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled on business
1 Thank Bumpskier
Naples, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2006

Looking to catch an early flight out of Washington Dulles Airport and needing to park our car for 10 days, we needed a hotel near the airport. Found only very expensive places thru all the travel bookers, and AAA. Finally tried the hotel's own website. Was delighted to find a VERY special Park and Fly offer. I thought it was a mistake it was so reasonable, but not so. The hotel and room were lovely, with great drop off and pick up shuttle service.
We would definitely recommend this Crown Plaza.

• Liked — The comfortable room and the proximity to IAD with Park and Fly accommodations
  • Disliked — No complaints
  • Tips/Secrets — Always check for the hotel chain's website