“Adequate” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 20 Hotels in Herndon
New York City, New York
“Adequate”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

We selected he Hilton for a long weekend in Chantilly/Herndon, Va to visit family. We chose it because my husband is a member of their rewards program and we were relying on the name for a certain level of quality. This area does not boast a large selection of upper end hotels. (For that, stay in DC.) The hotel is located in a commercial complex with nothing nearby. The rooms were large enough and quiet, but certain touches were missing: robes, a safe, mini-bar/refrigerator. Wifi is ~10/day. Incorrect guide to TV channels. I found the bed too soft, but decent linens. We looked at the gym and pool both looked pretty good BUT, no access to the indoor pool from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm. (The outdoor pool was closed.) all in all it was ok, but we will try somewhere else on our next visit. This may turn out to be the best option, but we'll try for something with a few nicer touches.

Room Tip: There were no views to be had. We were over a generator so switched rooms.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 4 of 5 stars
DullesCustServMgr, General Manager at Hilton Washington Dulles Airport, responded to this review, April 1, 2013

We also want to take a moment to thank you for your loyalty to our brand. We aplogize for the incorrect TV guide you received, and will discuss that with the team in order to prevent that from happening again. I'm sorry you were unable to get access to the pool. We do appreciate your compliment about our linens, and hope you return for a better experience in the future. If you have any further questions please email me at greg.langweg@dulleshilton.com.

Greg Langweg

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
Fairfax, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

As a diamond member for years, I have never had such a bad experience. The Hilton Honors reservation system system was down, so Honors customer service worked with the front desk to check me under my credit card and when the system was restored would switch it to a rewards stay with no further action on my part.

The next morning I stopped by the front desk to verify the switch had happened and was told it had not, and told me it was impossible. I then explained the what was agreed on last night and that Honors had told me there were in fact two ways to accomplish what they had agreed to and told the front desk how to do it, thirty seconds later the front desk said that it was done.

That same night I inquired about the shuttle service to Dulles, extend my stay another night and verify that it was now being billed correctly as a rewards stay. I was told it was being charged to my credit card, not a rewards stay. Explained for the third time the situation and was again told it was impossible to make the change at this point by the assistant manager. I asked for the GM since at this point it was beyond an error, I had been lied to..It turns out the GM had been standing three feet away on the other side of a pillar at the front desk the entire ten minutes I was trying to resolve this. He proceeded to ask what the issue was after standing there while I was explaining it three feet away. He carried on that it couldn't be done at this point and this demised into a shouting match at the front desk in the lobby, I am ashamed that I raised my voice but I had had enough of being lied to. After a call to Honors customer service by the front desk, the so called "impossible" was done.

Aside from the error, subsequent lying and lack of customer service, the building, grounds and rooms are nice. Room service was polite and grateful. The rates were a good value if this had not been a rewards stay. The management, front desk staff and bell staff seemed like they were just killing time until their next job and that hospitality was not a career choice based on my interactions with them and their attitudes.

Room Tip: Stayed on the first floor due to traveling with a pet and it was a great room, no issues with noise.
1 Thank LostTexan703
DullesCustServMgr, General Manager at Hilton Washington Dulles Airport, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Dear Sir,

Thank you for your remarks and review. I apologize for the technical difficulties you encountered at the front desk. I also want to apologize on behalf of the whole team for the unpleasant experience you had. We will research and discuss with our team into why these errors were not rectified from the very beginning. We value your loyalty to our brand, and assure what you experienced is not the norm. We do our best to provide excellent customer service, and really take pride in doing so. We hope you will give us another opportunity upon your return to the area. Please feel free to contact me directly at greg.langweg@dulleshilton.com if you have any further concerns.

world
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

This hotel is near, and offers free shuttle service, to Dulles airport and Air & Space museum. Rooms are large, clean and quiet. Bed is comfortable. Service meets Hilton standards. One bathrobe is provided, even in a room reserved for two, but no slippers. Bathroom items are of good quality. Bathroom door is in the wrong place. The business park location prevents walking to shops and restaurants. However the hotel food is limited but good. A small gift shop is located on the second floor. Room rate for king double in March was $102 with breakfast and taxes, making this a good value.

1 Thank WorldtravelerB
Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

Stayed on business from March 18th to March 22nd. Ordered Room Service on March 18th, a simple hamburger, and it was raw in the center ($13 burger). Large group of teens (5 Charter buses) checked in on March 20th at 10pm. They ran up and down the halls, banged on doors, yelling/screaming in the rooms/hallways, and the chaperone's weren't much more respectful. They should've put them on their own floor or had better security. Few elevators to begin with, but particularly noticeable when one breaks (March 20th). I will never stay there again. Staff was apologetic, but not worth more than $80 per night in my opinion. Didn't expect this at a Hilton property.

Room Tip: Stay near the elevators, but not too close. Make sure the Ice Machine is far away to avoid noise.
1 Thank RickFromDallasTexas
DullesCustServMgr, General Manager at Hilton Washington Dulles Airport, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Dear RickFromDallasTexas,

Thank you for your review, and I’m so sorry you had an unpleasant experience with your room service. We will bring you concern to the attention of the Director of Food and Beverage. I also want to apologize for the noise you encountered with any other guests staying with us on property. We will look at ways to improve on the issues that you brought to our attention. We do value you as a customer and hope you can give us another opportunity to serve you, and hope to exceed your expectations upon your next visit to the area. Feel free to contact me directly if have any further questions or concerns at greg.langweg@dulleshilton.com.

Belfast, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

The Hilton at Herndon is a above average but typical airport hotel. Conveniently located near the airport and with good facilities. The hotel is pleasant in the lobby and communal areas with good WiFi access in most areas.

The rooms are spacious and in good repair with good furnishings. The Executive Lounge is acceptable although a little small and busy in the mornings for breakfast, so get there early. The breakfast on offer is more than adequate.

The gym facilities are excellent: great sized area with plenty of equipment and all pretty up to date and modern.

The bar and restaurant food was a let down though. The lunch buffet, while very reasonably priced, was pretty bland and most of the food on offer was dried out and mushy, even at the start of the service. The bar restaurant wasn't much better for dinner. Reasonable menu, but again the food was a let down: the steaks in particular being too and overcooked. I guess that is to be expected from an airport hotel bar!

However, as a pleasant hotel for an overnight stay, it's one of the better airport hotels I've stayed at.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
KMcCorry,

Thank you so much for the review. I'm happy that we were a good fit for you and in good proximity to the airport for your needs. We really are very appreciative for you kind words in regards with your experience to our spacious rooms, executive lounge breakfast, lobby, furnishings, and "excellent" gym facilities! We do apologize for the Food and Beverage experience, and this will be discussed with the appropriate managers. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to the northern Virginia/DC area. Thank you for choosing our hotel, and it would be a pleasure of ours to exceed your expectations in the future.

Warm Regards,

Oxford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

As a diamond member, I am used to being treated well at any of the Hilton chain, so I was very surprised at the brusque welcome given to me, by what turned out to be the duty manager.

The hotel itself was pretty well what you would expect, particularly for an airport one, although I did find it somewhat difficult to find at first.

Breakfast OK

Room Tip: Avoid the duty manager at check in!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kmc1702
DullesCustServMgr, General Manager at Hilton Washington Dulles Airport, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Dear kmcottrell,

I offer my deepest apologies for any customer service issue you encountered at our property. We will discuss your review with our team to discuss the concern you brought to our attention in order to provide exceptional service in the future. We hope you return to give us another opportunity. From our whole team we do value your loyalty and hope to see you again upon your next visit to the Dulles area. Feel free to contact me directly at greg.langweg@dulleshilton.com.

Warm Regards,

Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

Really aging hotel withou tthe services that you expect from Hilton. The room was a nice size, but showing its age, especially the carpets, bathroom (shower) and A/C. The bathroom floor was slick marble and very slippery when you get out of the shower.
Other services that premium HHonors members expect are also low-balled. The breakfast benefit is only in the Exec lounge and pretty mediocre. The evening happy hour you actually have to pay for ($5/drink).
This latest visit, the hotel was filled up with high school kids, even on the Exec floor, and just never quietted down.
Stay here occassionally and often pay up to $300+ per night. Went to the Hyatt this time for a meeting. Seemed like a fresher, cleaner, better option.

• 2 of 5 stars
2 Thank COtraveller69
DullesCustServMgr, General Manager at Hilton Washington Dulles Airport, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
COtraveller69,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and give us your feedback. We are happy that you liked the size of the room we were able to accomodate you with. Our team will consider all the suggestions you offered in your review. We are scheduled to go through room renovations in the near future. I do apologize for any disturbances you may have encountered while staying with us. Please contact me directly if you would like to discuss your concerns any further. We do appreciate you choosing our hotel and hope to better serve you again in the future. Our team works very hard to provide you with excellent service and we hope to exceed your expectations upon your next visit.

Greg.Langweg@dulleshilton.com
Also consider these accommodations in or near Herndon
Hyatt Regency Dulles
Candlewood Suites Washington, Dulles Herndon
Embassy Suites by Hilton Dulles Airport
Washington Dulles Airport Marriott
Sheraton Herndon Dulles Airport Hotel

Been to Hilton Washington Dulles Airport? Share your experiences!