“When a Diner is what you want this fits the bill.” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #5 of 213 Restaurants in Herndon
Cuisines: American, Greek, Diner, Italian
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Brunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Amphora Diner Deluxe is a 24-7 establishment serving the Washington D.C. Metro area for well over 30 years. A local landmark, Amphora has been providing award winning breakfast, lunch and dinner to loyal customers serving popular dishes that are made-from-scratch daily!
Severna Park, Maryland
“When a Diner is what you want this fits the bill.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

Needed a place to grab something decent and varied. We had 3 kids and they need variety. Decided to give this place a try. First they sat us at a roomy table which was very helpful. The server was attentive. We got drinks that were served in small cups with lids for the kids - why don't more places do this? I had the chopped salad with slovaki and Greek yogurt. It was great. The chicken cordon blu also got thumbs up. The children's menu had roast beef to hot dogs and both were good. The kids loved selecting their desserts from the display case. Everyone got what they wanted. I tasted the carrot cake and while good, I have had better. The server helped with taking the desserts back for later enjoyment. Overall, this was just right for the dinner. Not a fine restaurant but exactly what we needed. I would go back.

• Visited June 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars
Kerrin D, Guest Relations Manager at Amphora's Diner Deluxe, responded to this review, September 5, 2014
Thank you so much for your review of our establishment. We truly appreciate your opinion!I have shared your feedback with our head chef and restaurant management team. We hope that you will continue to dine with us.Please let me know if you have any questions and I will be happy to answer them for you.

Best Regards,

Amphora Group

Reston, Virginia
“Inconsistent experiences”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014 via mobile

We are frequent diners at Amphora, despite inconsistent experiences. Sometimes I would rate it a 4, sometimes a 2. Food is generally pretty good. Service is often indifferent. It can be very noisy. Overall, I would (and do) go back.

• 2 of 5 stars
Hawaii
“Fresh and flavorful food.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

Amphora DD is little offset from Elden street that you may miss the road, watch. ADD has good flavors tasty rich food made with care and have concerns on the diners to check a few times of their food and needs, make them to stay on top of all ratings.

Pros: Ambiance, flavor, fresh, big portions, care, service.
Cons: napkins under the beverage cups (cost cutting?)

I would highly recommend this place to all and try once.

Germantown, Maryland
“Expensive prices, horrible food and poor service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

We went to meet family at Amphora's Diner (on their recommendation). We checked out the menu ahead of time (and were a bit put off by its' length, which is generally not a good sign). However, nothing prepared us for the horror that is this restaurants' food and service. We had a table of about 12 people (perhaps this guaranteed a tip and that's why the service was terrible?)

First, I ordered a drink (A rob Roy) which they brought in a brandy glass served over ice -- what? Don't put it in the menu if you can't make it....my husband ordered iced tea. The waiter never brought anyone water and when my husband asked for a glass, he got serious attitude. The waiter was really annoyed when requested to refill the iced tea as well. I was never offered a second drink and could not find the waiter to get one, after he had slammed down my husband's water glass. None of the rest of our party could get a second drink either (we were there for two hours --- isn't this where the money is made?)
Next came the food --- a grossly under baked potato with an overdone crust of cheese on top, an overdressed and wilted lettuce salad. My entrée should have been simple enough (steamed shrimp, diced tomatoes and feta) --- but the shrimp was overdone, the feta and olive oil were cheap and the combination was disgusting. No one ever checked on how our food was (I can't say I was surprised, as no one else's food looked any better than mine).
I simply can't believe this place is still in business. The prices were outrageous, the service absent and the food disgusting --- what is there to go for?

• 1 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
Virginia
“old school style very fresh and tasty”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2014

Great selection of food and specials. Fresh baked goods cakes and pies. Breakfast lunch or dinner great selections .good size portions and great servers they know the menu and kept everything coming with regard to food and refills of beverages. Try old favoritesand classics enjoyed the breakfast specials and the falafel platter. Enjoy and interact with the staff so they can suggest something you may like. Tooo full for dessert but table behind me was working on there favorite key lime pie.Enjoy yourself.