“I haven't eaten here in...”

Zeffirelli Ristorante Italiano
Reserve with OpenTable
Zeffirelli Ristorante Italiano is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 225 Restaurants in Herndon
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Sterling, VA
“I haven't eaten here in...”
Reviewed August 20, 2008

I haven't eaten here in years, but I used to love to go here on date nights. I'll have to go back one of these days.

Embassy Suites Dulles Airport
“Excellent Food & Excellent Service”
Reviewed July 31, 2008

The restaurant is intimate and warm. The food is excellent and the service the staff gives is always first class. The manager gives a warm greeting to everyone coming in making you feel like you like a VIP. His greeting is only comparable to his send off as you are leaving out. I would definitely recommend it.

San Francisco, California
“Authentic Italian Food without going to Italia !!!”
Reviewed July 23, 2008

Returning from a vacation in Europe(not Italia) our connection flight at Dulles to SF was cancelled due to mechanical problems & we overnighted at a hotel at the airport. Despite traveling fatigue, jet lag etc., we had a yen for Italian food & hotel recommended this restaurant. A not inexpensive roundtrip taxi was needed but the dining experience made it worth it. I would guess that the majority of customers are locals but the Maitre-D, Nino, knowing we were passing through, still accomodated us in a most friendly & warm manner yet the place was buzzing busy. I joked with him that many Sicilians like to feel they are a separate country but yes, they are Italian ! (Ha!!!) Looking at the menu, immediately I was sorry we were not in the area longer to return & be able to try to many interesting selections. Our food was some of the best we've had outside of Italy. Also, in the SF area we have many Italian restaurants and our own North Beach (Little Italy) only has 2 or 3 that can compare with this place. What is is my opinion worth ? We go to Italy at least once per year (my parents, grandparents & many relatives are born in Italy) and a main objective is to enjoy the food-as most people know, it is no place for a diet.

The Mozzarella Caprese with fresh pomodori, onions, basilica & Extra Virgin Olive Oil was light & refreshing. But then the Cozze alle Ligure with Fresh Mussels, Garlic, Parsely & lemon Juice melted in our mouths and the juice was something I could have drunk in a coffee mug it was that tasty. Must have had a half loaf of bread soaking up the sauce. Growing up we were poor and my Mama needed us to fill up in addition to Pasta every day on Bread so I can't break the habit although Carbo loading at my age results in a spread around the middle because I can't burn enough calories to create exercise to avoid it. I remember fondly in my family when ever we were a bit chubby that others would say "Benedica la Prosperita'" which meant that thank God we were prosperous enough to eat sufficiently to gain weight. Oh for the old days....don't think that today's Cardiologists would share my family's traditions. In Italy there is an expression "Fare La Scarpetta"(little shoe) & the bread is used to scoop up the sauce. What the word "shoe" has to do with scooping up the sauce I don't know but I guess that "La Scarpetta" also refers to Cinderella's glass slipper & when she put her foot in it, it was magical & heaven for the Prince as it is scooping up some savory sauce, maybe the best part of the meal. Wanted a pasta dish so we chose the Lasagna Alla Casalingha(means homemade)
Baked with Two Cheeses, Ground Veal, and Special House Sauce. Wanted a bit more meat than the delicate veal in the Lasagna so ordered the Salsicce Alla San Gennaro-Italian Spicy Sauages with Sweet Peppers & Onions, Tomato Sauce over Crostini. I got real nostalgic here as the Lasagna "era deliziosa come facevano le mie Nonna e Mama" (as my Grandmother & Mother used to make). Although we were full, there's an Italian proverb " l'appetito viene mangiando"-one's appetite increases eating and it is never more evident than in this wonderful "ristorante" as we had the homemade Tiramisu su for dessert which means to toss me up in the air with the intention of a "pick me up" to make me happier. Well, with my Espresso & a Limoncello(lemon drink) I enjoyed watching the Maitre-D, Nino, directing it all like an orchestra leader guiding the musicians(waiters, bus boys etc.) to deliver a stupendous performance pleasing the audience(the customers). Always, despite this "ristorante" continuing to fill up, the very genial waiter, Geraldo,(from Calabria where my Father was born) & Nino chatted with us(me in Italian which I appreciated) & we were never made to rush as happens in many places where they need turn the tables. I wanted to try other things but we were too full so can't comment on them but many people's appetities are through their eyes and I was able to gaze at other various inviting aromatic dishes that appeared to be delicious. If we lived in this area, we'd consider ourselves lucky to be regular customers and I know we would take advantage of more selections always being able to take a Doggie Bag of leftovers for another meal. If you haven't, try the place, it's less expensive & quicker than having to fly to Italia for authentic Italian food.

2 Thank Guaglione
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Amazing veal chop!!”
Reviewed July 14, 2008

Amazing veal chop!!

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Bloomington, Illinois
“Very good dinner and value”
Reviewed April 10, 2008

A co-worker and myself chanced across this hidden gem in Historic downtown Herndon. Service was good (although they could not split our check). Food was prompt and excellent. I had Pollo Romano and my co-worker had Gnocchi. Seemed to be a popular local spot for regulars. Somewhat busy so a reservation may help. Definitely a return visit kind of place.