“Big ol' oysters....did I say big?”

Ice House Cafe & Oyster Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Ice House Cafe & Oyster Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #8 of 241 Restaurants in Herndon
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Reviewed July 11, 2013

Visited there for lunch meeting, and to use a Groupon. Each had a dozen oysters to start. But these were Chesapeake oysters, and were quite large. So much so, that for this oyster lover (and I can eat a few dozen), I ended up giving a 1/3 to my husband. It became a texture thing.
We both had a Chesapeake Rueben, with crabmeat, smoked ham, Cole slaw, Swiss cheese with a Thousand Island dressing. Not too bad, but a little strange to have ham and crab together.
Was okay because of Groupon, not sure I'd run back.

2  Thank Vikingbymarriage

Reviewed July 3, 2013

I stopped by towards the end of a weekday lunch opening. I didn't have anything complicated--a straightforward burger and fries. However, I could tell that the genuine care that went into that burger and fries in addition to the ambiance, service, etc. And the dessert, the chocolate mousse, was particularly great.

Reviewed June 29, 2013 via mobile

That time is passed. It was the place in Herndon now it's old and tired. It needs a make over. It needs something. Herndon got old and so did the ice house. Yawn

Reviewed May 3, 2013

Could have just been the night -- early in the week, and early evening - but the server's black apron and black clothing were filthy and spattered, which never makes me comfortable about how much management cares about cleanliness. Dinner was average - entree came with sides that were different than what the server described - staff was friendly. Too expensive for the entire experience.

Reviewed February 13, 2013

I love this place! It is in the middle of the old downtown Herndon area and is frankly my favorite restaurant in the area. I love the live music on the weekends, and love that it starts early. Every meal we've had there has been great. During my last visit, we all started with the house salad, which isn't terribly exciting, but the balsamic house dressing is yummy. The bread is delicious and warm, but would be better with softened butter. The Calimari Athena is my favorite appetizer - full of flavor and the calamari is melt in your mouth good. My dad had the Vegetarian Delight without the mushrooms and loved it, which is impressive because he's a picky eater. I had the Seafood Fettucine Alfredo, which was chock full of seafood and divine. It was a large portion and so good that I had the leftovers the next morning for breakfast. During a past visit, I had the Prawns Bourbon Street Style without the sausage, which I have to mention because it was also full of flavor and so yummy! Neither of these are healthy, but I don't mind indulging when the food is deliciously worth the calories. My mom had the steak special which she also loved. We shared a deliciously rich chocolate cheesecake for dessert. It's not a "cheap eat," but is truly a neighborhood gem. They are happy to customize your meal to meet any dietary restrictions or preferences, and don't push you out the door in spite of the small size of the restaurant. I also love that they take reservations and I've never had to wait when I've made a reservation.