“Not as good as I remember”

Ice House Cafe & Oyster Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Ice House Cafe & Oyster Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7 of 240 Restaurants in Herndon
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Reviewed May 3, 2013

Could have just been the night -- early in the week, and early evening - but the server's black apron and black clothing were filthy and spattered, which never makes me comfortable about how much management cares about cleanliness. Dinner was average - entree came with sides that were different than what the server described - staff was friendly. Too expensive for the entire experience.

Reviewed February 13, 2013

I love this place! It is in the middle of the old downtown Herndon area and is frankly my favorite restaurant in the area. I love the live music on the weekends, and love that it starts early. Every meal we've had there has been great. During my last visit, we all started with the house salad, which isn't terribly exciting, but the balsamic house dressing is yummy. The bread is delicious and warm, but would be better with softened butter. The Calimari Athena is my favorite appetizer - full of flavor and the calamari is melt in your mouth good. My dad had the Vegetarian Delight without the mushrooms and loved it, which is impressive because he's a picky eater. I had the Seafood Fettucine Alfredo, which was chock full of seafood and divine. It was a large portion and so good that I had the leftovers the next morning for breakfast. During a past visit, I had the Prawns Bourbon Street Style without the sausage, which I have to mention because it was also full of flavor and so yummy! Neither of these are healthy, but I don't mind indulging when the food is deliciously worth the calories. My mom had the steak special which she also loved. We shared a deliciously rich chocolate cheesecake for dessert. It's not a "cheap eat," but is truly a neighborhood gem. They are happy to customize your meal to meet any dietary restrictions or preferences, and don't push you out the door in spite of the small size of the restaurant. I also love that they take reservations and I've never had to wait when I've made a reservation.

Reviewed January 1, 2013

The Ice House is a Herndon institution. My wife and I tried it for New Years Eve 2012.Got there at 9:30, seated promptly. A quartet was playing some easy listening type of music, we would have preferred some jazz for this eve. First course was pate or seafood newburg in a potato shell. The newburg had been around a while and there was scant seafood in it. Pate was much better choice. Waldorf salad with potatoes and dry chicken, both of these could have been left out to improve it, especially since first course was also mostly potato. Surf and turf - the steak was good but a little overcooked, the lobster was pathetic. Small and way overcooked, tough. Dessert of either tiramisu or bread pudding, both were VG. Dinner in total was OK, but not great, and not as good as an ordinary night at this restaurant.

Reviewed December 27, 2012

I have had better for the price. The Raw oysters were cold and served on ice but nothing great and overpriced. The service was slow and other members of the party were starving before we got our entrees. Salads were ok and smothered in high powered dressing. Still hungry an hour later. Much better restaurants in the area but a visit for nastalgia made.

Reviewed November 7, 2012

I've been here before, usually as part of a group. They have, in the past, been able to serve me a meal without salt for my health needs. This time, at lunch Tuesday, no one seemed to care about my needs. I ordered Scallops provencal, asking if it could be made with no salt or pepper. The waiter assured me that it could. When it arrived, I could not eat it because of too much seasoning. The waiter said they would remake it. I said it would be fine, just pan broiled with no seasoning.
Remade dish was still oversalted - I was glad that the mashed potatoes were not salty. That's what I ate! The waiter noted my problem and called the 'manager'. He came and I told him that I was only able to eat the mashed potatoes. The bill, in addition to my beverage, would have been $12.95 - he ONLY charged me $6.95 for the mashed potatoes, plus my bev!!!!!!
Bad experience - I will not return