“Interesting experience and some great food.” 4 of 5 stars

Supper Club of India
Ranked #84 of 215 Restaurants in Herndon
Cuisines: Indian
Madison, Wisconsin
“Interesting experience and some great food.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

We stumbled upon the Supper Club of India as we were staying across the street at the Crowne Plaza and just saw it as we were walking through the area of dinning establishments. Now this can be a recipe for disaster without at least checking some reviews, but what the heck, "I too live dangerously".

We started out with the chicken tikka as an appetizer, if you like grilled food you would love this. Very flavorful and well done, extremely mild on the spicy side.

My wife had the KALI MIRCH KE BOTI Deboned lamb marinated and finished with black peppers in a tandoor, she loved it, shared a bit with me and I loved it too, not too spicy at all, very flavorful.

I had the GOSHT VINDALOO Boneless lamb and potatoes cooked in a fiery red chilly and vinegar sauce. Served with rice. One thing you need to know about the menu at this restraunt is that when they say "fiery", they mean "you will need a fire extinguisher the next morning when you visit the restroom fiery". I loved it, but I love "you will need a fire extinguisher the next morning when you visit the restroom fiery" foods. My wife who has a much more delicate palate for spice was not interested in sharing when she noticed the sweat that had formed on my forehead. Again, I loved it, but if someone who doesn't understand what these terms really mean stumbles into ordering an item, they could end up with a less than pleasant dining experience, and the next morning as well.

The decor is what I guess a true Indian Supper Club would look like, the food does appear to be authentic India, the cook, head waiter/owner(?) and busboy are all from India originally so by all appearances this is a genuine Indian dining experience. (But what do I know, my experience in judging what is authentic in this culture is limited to flying Air India to Germany once.)

This is probably not for everyone, but if you have a sense of dining adventure, a limited budget, (costs were exceptionally reasonable, $16 to $18 average for our entree's) and enjoy something a bit different I would encourage you to try this option. The service was interesting, we were their on a slow night, they have more formal, but casual, dining in the evening and during the daytime they have a lunch buffet. I felt at first we may be taking time out of the head waiter/owner's? day by his first interactions with us, but he lightened up and became more engaging as we talked through the experience, just not extremely comfortable is how I would term it.

We will go back again if only because I saw there was an even hotter entree on the menu I didn't get to and of course I feel challenged to try it. But also, there are several appealing items on the menu we would like to try.

Visited September 2013

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“What a superb feast !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

We had dinner yesterday here on a tour of this nation ! The variety and taste of food was quite nice ! The service was appreciable ! We came out with good satite ! Dr.K.Sundar ,Dubai.

• Visited July 2013
Northern Virginia
“Wonderful restaurant!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

This restaurant is owned by the same people who own Harvest of India (also in Herndon -- see my review), which is our very favorite Indian restaurant. Supper Club is a bit fancier, but just as delicious! We have not been to this one as many times, only because Harvest of India is our very favorite and it is a tradition for us.

• Visited May 2012
Northumberland, United Kingdom
“At last a good Indian restaurant !”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

Living in the UK I have been spoilt with access to really good curries and Indian restaurants. my experience in the States has been less good with many disappointing visits to Indian restaurants and much tasteless food. This changed with a visit to the Supper club of India - at last I have found good Indian food in the unlikely surroundings of a small shopping strip next to a Marriott hotel not far from Dulles ! Food was great - well spiced and attractive the beer - a selection fo Indian sounding brews was ice cold and delicious. Although nowhere near as good as our best local Indian restaurant this was a good find - on par with a good local curry house in the UK. A cold Friday night what could be better than curry and beer ?

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars
New York City, New York
“Hot hot hot!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

Hot hot curry and cold beer, what else is there in life. The food we had, lamb patties with dipping sauces for an appetizer, then a lamb curry I had not seen before suggested by the waiter as a little hotter than Vindaloo. It was, and it was delicious. My SO had Murg tikka masala, tandoor cooked chicken in a yogurt based sauce.

Both served wit delish basmati rice on the side. We used the naan, flat bread to soak up the sauces.

Visited October 2012