“OK food, OK service”

Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed May 22, 2014

Matsutake is a Japanese steakhouse. I generally like the hibachi grill. Service is a bit slow, partly because there's usually a wait to fill up more of the seats around the grill (it is communal-style seating around the grill). Food is plentiful, but I find the fried rice to be bland. Vegetables are often undercooked to my taste, and meat is often overcooked. It's entertaining, as the chef prepares the food in front of you. Some are better and more entertaining than others; some are VERY pushy about guests trying to catch bits of shrimp that he tosses from the grill in their mouths. Overall, it's generally a good meal. I go fairly often.

Reviewed February 18, 2014

Geat deal Sunday nights with discounts for hibatchi. Sushi was good, not great but price was reasonable, service was very good and food was good. We had a good time and our "chef" did the trick!

Reviewed February 7, 2014

With a small group the Hibatchi Grill is very enjoyable and entertaining. However we had mixed results on the food. Try the fillet minion it was tender and cooked to mostly the correct temperature. The shrimp however -- way over cooked. What was I thinking? So hard to get shrimp right. These were on the grill for 5 to 8 minutes...hard, chewy. Don't order shrimp.

I didn't try the sushi or other menu items so can't speak to those. But ordering off the menu may be your best bet. I'll try that next time. Service was attentive. Prices reasonable. The Buffett and other specials sound good. Wish we had known.

Reviewed January 31, 2014

It's one of my favorite spots at Herndon. My friend & I, visit Herndon 2 to 3 times a month. We always go there either once or twice a week. The manager, Mr. Peter & all of ther waiters/servers & cooks, go above & beyond their ways to make us feel very special & have a great time. The food is awsome. The daily buffet, of sushi, soups, salads along with appetisers go with all palets such as chicken wings & baked oysters, worths every penny. The sushi special, 50% off on Fridays & Saturdays id really appreciated! The 30% of Hibachi on Sundays, make this restaurant very tempting! Great spot for a solo, family or a romantic evening! Wine selection is smart. Who would ask for more than yumy & hand craved food, very good wine & an excellent service with an affordable price?! I always come back & I recommend it to whoever like to have an enjoyable & special time. Thank you all. See you when I come back this coming Monday!

Reviewed January 25, 2014

Sushi & Tempura was good. Small sushi however. Ordered Kani Maki and the six pieces were very small. The shrimp/vegetable tempura was very good.
The waiter and the guy making the sushi were very unfriendly. My flight was delayed for 6 hours and I drop by late (around 9pm). Waiters felt they've had enough for the day. Very unfriendly. Left a a tip and when saying goodbye after my mail they didn't even return my greetings.
Very unfriendly staff to say the least.....