“Newly opened, still rusty”
Review of Mellow Mushroom

Mellow Mushroom
Ranked #13 of 225 Restaurants in Herndon
Cuisines: Pizza
Dining options: Dinner, Takeout
Description: Hand-tossed pizzas, 30 craft beers on tap, open air terrace! Perfect place to meet a friend after work for a drink, watch a sports game, or celebrate a birthday with the family! Happy Hour Monday-Friday, 3-7pm, $2 off select drafts, $4 house wine/liquor, $3 cheese bread, $4 bruschetta
Stone Mountain, Georgia
“Newly opened, still rusty”
Reviewed November 5, 2013

As Atlanta natives we hold Mellow Mushroom near and dear to our hearts, so we were thrilled to learn that a restaurant was opening in Herndon, an easier trek for us than going to the location in the District (which is a superb, well-run location with excellent food). It was a somewhat crowded Saturday night, but that didn't bother us as we situated ourselves near the front and waited for our table. My daughter and I went to the bar to get a beer, the selection was so-so. They did not have the beers that she normally likes, so she had to settle for something else. After 20-25 minutes we were still not seated, and I went to the hostess to find out why... only to discover that they never put us on the list! However, they took care of us immediately, seating us and promising a free appetizer. The appetizer was delicious (hummus with pita bread always leaves some leftovers for the pizza crust), but our pizza was slightly undercooked and was very light on toppings. We ordered pepperoni and mushroom, and I was hard pressed to find lots of either. We were too tired to send it back so we ate it and took half of it home for later. Wait staff was scrambling, clearly in the weeds and it was not THAT crowded. The restaurant had been open for only two or three weeks at the time, so hopefully they are ironing out the kinks and this will be worthwhile to visit again. Will try again.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank xtc091157

Virginia
“Good Pizza Place”
Reviewed November 5, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Maybe it's all the hype around Mellow Mushroom but I have yet to see the big deal. I think it's good pizza at a pretty high price. After the first two months it opened, came here three times. First with a group, then just couple, then family. The group was fun because we got to sample a bunch of the pizzas on the menu. They do have a great and unique selection of specialties; I've tried the Bayou Bleu (shrimp, Blue cheese, hot sauce, etc) which was good, Thai (weird flavor for pizza for me), the Kosmic Karma pesto/mozzarella one was not as good as I Would have thought, my favorite so far has been the Red Skin Potato Pie w/ potatoes, sour cream etc. Pretzels are hit or miss from dryness factor, hummus was just ok.

The pizza is good and the atmosphere/menu uniquely interesting, but just didn't seem like a place I would want to go to pay a premium price.

Visited September 2013
Herndon, Virginia
“Sad”
Reviewed October 26, 2013

I have been to other Mellow Musheooms and found this lacking. Guy bartender ok. Girl doesn't know anything about bartending. Food- wings hot were mild and cold. Pesto pizza was not cooked and once again they were out of beer. Not a very memorable experience. Might try it again when they get their act together. But for a Saturday night with it a 1/4 full, not great

• Visited October 2013
2 Thank Bizzwork
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Nice Pizza”
Reviewed October 22, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

First time I ate at Mellow Mushroom was about 4 years ago in Winston Salem. Their pie is consistently good with a hint of what seem to licorice on a pretzel like dough, well done pizza.

Visited October 2013
“Unpleasant and Expensive.”
Reviewed September 28, 2013

Having had good memories of the MM in Gainesville, FL when we lived there, we were very excited when we heard one was opening in Herndon. After debating with our children (6 and 10) whether they wanted to go to Silver Diner or try MM we settled on pizza. What a mistake. We were seated fairly quickly but were put under a vent with a powerful cold draught coming out, the seats were cold, hard metal and the table was cramped, uncomfortable and cluttered with useless junk. We placed our order and then asked to be moved to another table away from the vent. When our food arrived it was disappointing to say the least. With two of the four of us having gluten/wheat allergies we ordered GF pizzas which were a tasteless, expensive error on our part. The GF crust was like shredded cardboard and it fell apart as soon as you picked it up. The regular pizza I got (small sized house special) was also disappointing and definitely not worth the money (highlighted after the fact today when I got a 365 Supreme Pizza from Whole Foods for $3.99 which looked, smelled and tasted 10 times better than the MM one). We left $70 poorer, wishing all the way home that we'd gone to Silver Diner.

This MM should take a cue from other branches in the chain. I'd be surprised if they last a year going on like this.

• Visited September 2013