“Only fair”

Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed November 13, 2013

I review Thai restaurants all over the country, and Thai Luang is nothing special at best and even disappointing. Wary of the negTive review on Pad Thai that is saw, I opted for Tofu Cashew which came with unasked for and unlisted red peppers and an enormous amount of fried tofu. The thin, watery "sauce" was sorely lacking in any flavor resembling ThI cooking. The food came lightning fast and the service was fine. Decor is OK. For those who think a restaurant must be good if Asians are dining there, keep in mind that not all Japanese, Chinese, etc know or recognize good Thai cuisine.

Reviewed October 25, 2013

In the spirit of full disclosure, the last time I ate Thai cuisine was at the Swan Lake Hotel, U-Tapao Thailand 40 years ago...and under entirely different circumstances.
My brother suggested Thai Luang to celebrate his wife's birthday and it was a great choice. The place is a little tricky to find but parking was plentiful and we were promptly seated.
The menu is extensive but easy to understand. And they offer a variety of spice levels with all dishes so you can choose the "heat" you are comfortable with.
Service throughout was cordial and prompt. The meals were well presented and servings were plentiful. Most of our group took home leftovers.
And for those so inclined, there is Singha to wash it all down.
I liked the place. I can't say I'll go back tomorrow but I wouldn't hesitate to go back. Thai Luang is a cut above many restaurants in the Northern VA area. A cut far above.

Reviewed October 18, 2013

When I lived in the Herndon/Reston area, before uprooting and moving to Chiang Mai, Thailand, my coworkers and I used to frequent Thai Luang Restaurant at least once a week. It is actually the place that first introduced me to the famous Northern Thai dish, Kao Soi. Their Kao Soi is authentic tasting and on par with what is being served in my neighborhood here in Thailand. From the coconut curry based broth to the crispy noodles on top, you cannot go wrong with this dish. It is good both spicy and mild, and the perk about eating at Thai Luang is being able to take full advantage of the large American portion size!

Other Favorites:
Thai Iced Coffee/Thai Iced Tea
Spring Rolls
Spicy Crispy Chicken
Spicy Crispy Duck
Duck Noodle Soup (think pho with a twist!)

Service is fast and friendly, and for being located in an office park the atmosphere is very pleasant. If you are looking for your new regular lunch spot...this is definitely it. Enjoy!

1  Thank Christopher-J-Scott
Reviewed August 3, 2013

Thai Luang is not known to many partly because it's tucked back in the office complex. However, after several visits to this restaurant, it confirmed that it is one of the best Thai restaurants in the area. Outstanding duck dishes are their trademarks. Especially, duck noodle soup is the Best in the house. Generous portions and excellent taste bring both westerners and Asians including its own Thai customers. Note that the restaurant does not open Sundays. Small quaint yet great Thai experience here.

Reviewed May 21, 2013

I have been going to Thai Luang for almost ten years and I have also tried many other Thai restaurants in the area. Thai Luang is hands down my favorite. The food is always delicious and the service is always great.