Candlewood Suites doesn't have a lot of amenities, but it offers a lot for the money. The Herndon property seems to be well-run and is a good representative for the brand.
I just needed a place to stay for 9 hours after arriving on a late-night flight into Dulles. I looked on my company travel website for choices, and Candlewood Suites was the best value. There were lower cost hotels that were much farther from the airport or appeared to be very low end. There were plenty of hotels that cost 50% more and would offer a few more amenities. Even though I was not traveling on my own dime, I could not see spending so much more for the small difference.
For me, the difference in amenities that you don't get here that you would get at say, a higher-end Intercontinental brand are:
- You just get queen-sized bed with regular linens - no 400 count thread here.
- Furniture is definitely purchased on a tight budget, but it's functional
- Bathroom toiletries are not great.
- They don't clean every day, because it is intended to be a long-term stay. No effect on me when I am there one night.
- No trash can in the bathroom (this I don't understand, and it is the one thing that annoys me about the chain, since I don't think it would cost much).
In return for the minor inconveniences listed above, you pay about 1/3 less and you get the honor canteen, which I like a lot (more below).
I liked the lock box in the lobby. I arrived after 11:00, so the desk was not staffed. There was a set of small "mailboxes" in the entry with first names on them. All I had to do was locate my name and enter the first three letters of my last name. The room key and welcoming information was inside. There is a number to call if you need help after hours. NOTE: I asked what would happen if there were people with the same first name. In that case, they use the last name and you enter the first three letters of your first name.
One thing I love about Candlewood is the honor system canteen. Even though it was late, I was able to find something decent to eat, which is not always the case even with higher-end hotels. There is a good selection of items that you can microwave in your room, or you can even buy some stuff that you can cook on the stove. I will note the canteen here was a little smaller and had less selection than others I have seen in the chain, but it was still satisfactory. The free coffee in the canteen is probably one of the best free hotel coffees that I have ever had.
The room and the rest of the hotel appeared to be clean. The internet speed was good. The hotel is located in a sort of office park that is quiet - no need to worry about outside noise here.
If you just need a place to stay, and aren't looking for a destination hotel experience, Candlewood Suites is a great value and the Herndon property lives up to the name.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Come and experience our new Comforts of Home Bedding Collection. The Candlewood Suites Washington-Dulles Herndon, located in the Dulles Corridor minutes from Dulles Airport IAD and Metro, is an extended stay hotel convenient to all Washington, DC Northern Virginia area attractions, government and businesses.The Candlewood Suites Herndon provides fully equipped kitchens, free high-speed Internet, local phone calls, fitness center, guest laundry, and business services. Close to over 40 restaurants, if you want to enjoy a meal in your suite, the Candlewood Cupboard offers breakfast items, snacks, frozen meals and drinks.Government, contract and military travelers are welcome at the per diem rates. The Dulles Candlewood Suites is a great business location, situated near Herndon and Reston companies such as AOL, Verizon - MCI, IBM, Sprint - Nextel, Siemens, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Raytheon, Sage, SAIC, EDS, Accenture, Computer Associates, General Dynamics, BAE Systems, Learning Tree, Deltek, L3 Communications, and Net Master Class. The Candlewood Suites Dulles is 3 miles from the Air and Space Museum s Steven F Udvar-Hazy Center. Shoppers are near the Dulles Town Center Mall, Tysons Corner, and Leesburg Outlets. Enjoy the extensive amenities at the Candlewood Suites Washington. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Priceline, IHG, Hotwire, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Candlewood Suites Washington, Dulles Herndon reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Candlewood Suites Washington, Dulles Herndon Hotel Herndon
- Candlewood Suites Herndon
- Candlewood Herndon
- Herndon Candlewood Suites