Candlewood Suites Washington, Dulles Herndon
$109
SpringHill Suites
Crowne Plaza Dulles Airport Hotel(Herndon)(Great Value!)
$102
$122
$129
$119
  • Pool
All reviewsfree laundryhonor systemfront desklong termlaundry roomfull size refrigeratorhome away from homean extended stayexcellent customer serviceclean roomsherndon areaexcellent place to stayclose to the airportcomfortable stayfitness centercomfortable bedthe entire staff
Reviewed November 27, 2012

This is an excellent hotel.

First, let me set your expectations. It is a basic long-term stay hotel (though also fine for short stays; mine was three days). That means only weekly visits from housekeeping, like most long-term stay hotels. As a basic hotel, the frills and luxuries are minimal. Yet for a basic hotel, it is quite nice, even upscale.

The hotel itself is clean and well-lit, and the staff is friendly. There is a guest laundry which is free to both wash and dry, which is quite remarkable. There is also a small store with basic food items and toiletries, such as fruit, cereal, microwave dinners, laundry detergent, etc. It is great to have an on-site basic fitness center, laundry and convenience store.

The room is spacious and also clean and well-lit, and has a kitchenette with a sink, full-size refrigerator, dishwasher (!), microwave, small coffee maker, toaster, dishes, utensils, and pans. The hotel even provides complimentary paper towels and detergent both for hand washing and machine washing dishes.

The room also has a good-sized flat-screen TV with DVD/VHS player and cable, an ironing board and iron, and hairdryer. The hotel has a decent size lending library from which you can borrow movies.

There is a desk for working and eating, and free internet is available both WiFi and via a wired connection, which is less common in hotels and appreciated as it is (somewhat) more secure and reliable. They even include the cable you need to use the wired connection, a very nice touch.

I only have one caveat of staying here: the hot water is extremely hot. I have never seen water so hot come out of a tap. Be careful or you could burn yourself. I would be concerned about this if traveling with children. Also, not really a caveat, but there are no restaurants or stores in the immediate vicinity of the hotel, so you will need to drive a mile or two if you need something.

Compared to other extended stay hotels I've stayed at, this one is very clean, very nice. It's the small touches that make a big difference.

If you're looking for a luxury hotel, look elsewhere. If you're looking for a clean, comfortable room at a reasonable price, this is a good hotel.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
cndlherndon, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Washington, Dulles Herndon, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2012

It’s such a delight to read your review tomytravler! I am very happy to learn we met your expectations and made your stay an excellent one. You covered all our amenities pretty well and I am glad you appreciate all of them. We value your opinion, and reviews such as yours let us know if we are doing well in making you feel at home or if there are some things we should improve on. As for the hot water, I apologize that it was especially hot in your room. We will look into that problem right away. Thank you for bringing it to our attention.

I hope you’ll come see us again soon. Looking forward to being of service to again in the future.

Reviewed November 22, 2012

This is my first time to live in candlewood hotel Herndon, very nice place and very clean house keeping, those people behind front desk are always helpful and responsive. free laundry and gym service made stay more valuable, if you choose to live here for long term, suggest to contact with front desk for better offering

Room Tip: No meal services
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Great to hear you had a nice stay, bojian w. I am happy that we were able to prove to you that we are a hotel committed to providing clean rooms and excellent service. Thank you for the opportunity you gave us to be of service to you. Please come back and see us again in the future.

Reviewed October 27, 2012

Left at end of June - made an unexpected trip - no notice to hotel nothing in Sept. 2012 - And everything was GREAT ! Any staff that was there when I had been there before REMEMBERED ME ! I wasn't a NUMBER ! Used priority points and stayed for free - got the type room I wanted - no problems whatsoever !

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for writing us another review, bluiis5493. It was a pleasure to be of service to you again. Looking forward to your next visit with us.

Reviewed October 11, 2012

Candlewood had exactly the amenities I wanted, and didn't waste their resources on things I didn't care about. There was a full-size refrigerator in the room! and a stove-top, and a microwave. I was able to go to the grocery store and get the food I wanted ... the exercise treadmill had a heart-rate monitor that worked! They even had a little self-serve food mart at great prices. I'd be delighted to stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for your review Steve R.! I am glad you loved all the amenities we offer. We would love to be of service to you again. Please come back and visit us again soon.

Reviewed October 11, 2012

Large spacious rooms with kitchenettes and 10-15 minutes from Dulles. Hotel is on the Dulles flight path so depending on wind direction, you may hire jets taking off over the unit, which can be distracting to sleep.

Main issue is that this hotel is in a typical American concrete corporate sub-division and there is nothing within walking distance other than offices and other hotels. Taxi service was sporadic and unreliable so if you are looking for a restaurant and shopping, you better have a car.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Skierz

Dear Skierz, I understand you had a less than satisfactory experience with our hotel. I apologize you were distracted by the jets flying over us. Normally, if you have your windows closed you won’t hear it at all. As for restaurants and shopping, the nearest shopping center is just a mile away from us, which is only about 15 minutes to walk to. They have a number of restaurants and a grocery store as well. I hope you will try us again next time you are in the area. Thank you for writing us a review.