“You can't there from here”

Hyatt Regency Dulles
Ranked #5 of 20 Hotels in Herndon
GreenLeadersBronze level
Alexandria, VA
“You can't there from here”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2010

The reason this hotel is selling weekend rooms for $63 is because it's nearly impossible to get to. You can actually see the hotel from the airport, but we spent nearly 30 minutes driving up and down Sudley Road, Frying Pan Road, and Innovation Drive trying to find a way into the hotel. The whole time the hotel was within sight of us, but we just couldn't find access to it. After 30 minutes, we pulled off on the shoulder of the road, staring straight at the hotel, and called the front desk to find out where the entrance was. They gave us a different set of instructions to try. We tried the new directions for 10 more minutes, but still couldn't find the entrance. Even though it was well after the 6:00 cancellation time, we called back to speak to a manager and he cancelled our reservation as we simply couldn't get there. The next weekend (I'm on the road 35 weeks a year and NEVER get lost anywhere) I decided to try the hotel again, as I really wanted the Gold Passport Points. Even with a Mapquest this time, it took two wrong turns before finally making it in.

The rooms were average. If it weren't for Hyatt's Next Big Thing Promotion, I'd easily stay somewhere else. I assume they aren't charging much for rooms because they got a good deal on the real estate they've built on, as nobody else would build a hotel so close to the Dulles access road yet so inaccessible.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank saxorob

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Chicago, IL
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2010

I stayed at the Hyatt Dulles with my family for one night.

Pros: I paid a $64 charge for a "suite" which was a pull-out bed and a king in one room. A very good value for the money. Room was clean, bed comfortable (not anywhere near a Marriott or Westin bed, but better than a standard hotel bed). Hotel itself is very nice, with bar right in lobby, plenty of parking (in a garage that is a little bit of a walk if the hotel is full).

Cons: We arrived tired at 1:00 AM, and there was ONE very overwhelmed-looking woman working the desk. She was responsible for all internal and external phone calls, checking everyone in, and dealing with everyone in the very busy lobby. The hotel was completely full, so you would think they would plan accordingly and have sufficient staff to take care of the late arrivals. I waited in line for 30 minutes, exhausted with my grumpy children draped over the luggage close-by because there were 2 strange looking vagrants begging for money in the lobby (nobody on duty to deal with it). We were finally successful, and went up to our room (1028-on the corner). Despite the fact that I indicated that there were 4 of us traveling, there was one small bottle of shampoo, no conditioner, no lotion...and 2 towels. When we called down, they said they did not have staff to bring anything. Super annoying.

Now for the BEWARE: The bathrooms at this hotel have POCKET doors. I went in and closed the door. When I tried to get out, the door, which was thick and heavy was stuck. Not just a little stuck. I should preface this by saying that I travel for a living, and usually am alone. I am so glad that I was with my husband THIS time, as I had chained the door for the night, this bathroom did not have a phone, and I had not carried my cell phone in with me. I was stuck in the bathroom for an hour, while my husband tried everything to get me out. We called the desk, and after it ringing for 20 minutes, the harassed desk clerk answered and said that she would send an engineer. While we waited, my husband got the luggage rack leg wedged in the door and managed to pry it open enough for me to get out. I am claustrophobic, and this was a horrible experience. The engineer had not shown up yet, so my husband called and cancelled, but let the desk clerk know that this room should not be given to anyone else. If I had been alone, I would have been locked in the bathroom, with the chain on the door, and no way to call for help ALL night until the maid finally came in late morning. The thought terrifies me.

In the morning, my husband (concerned about the next person who might get stuck), went down and asked that an engineer be sent up. To my total astonishment, the same woman was behind the desk, and this was her response: "You would not allow the engineer in the door when he came up last night (he never showed up), so we sent him into another room (they were full, so how they got into another room at 2:00 AM I do not know), and the door in THAT room was fine, so there is no problem." WHAT?????? My husband demanded that an engineer come up IMMEDIATELY. After 30 minutes, no engineer. So he called, and she had "forgotten" to send him. He did eventually come. He said that "sometimes they stick, but they are not dangerous." So my husband told the engineer to go into the bathroom and shut the door. He said we would pay DOUBLE the nightly rate if he could get out unassisted. Long story short, my husband had to pry out the frightened-looking engineer after 15 minutes. He then admitted he thought that the pocket doors were insane for a hotel, and that people FREQUENTLY got stuck.

When we went down to check out, my husband told the girl at the desk we wanted a discount because of all of the hassle. She offered us points (we do not stay in Hyatts normally). I told her (and now people checking in were starting to take notice), that points would be fine if we could use them for another night where we would NOT be held hostage in the bathroom. To get rid of us, she refunded us.

I will not go back. I would have given this hotel 3-4 stars, but this was ludicrous, a HUGE safety risk, and they clearly have little or no concern for an ongoing problem. Please beware-if you are traveling alone...do not chain the door and do not close the bathroom door. If you do, bring your cell phone with you!!!!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank NoPlaceLikeHome66
Richmond, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2010

This Hyatt seems to have been renovated, rooms were larger than standard - split into two areas (TV/Sofa living area and Bed/Bath area) with a nice layout. Bed wasn't as comfortable as Wesin beds or other Hyatts - dissapointing especially when Hyatt is pushing their "Pure" rooms (free from allergens and added plush features.) For our one night stay, the greeting we had by staff was "cold" as compared with other area Hyatt's we've stayed. The room had an inoperable ipod/radio/clock that was replaced by housekeeping when requested; although a request to speak with the manager on duty was met with "he's busy with another guest" comment. The cleanliness was fair (hair on a towel and walls in bathroom; coffee maker had residue in the water resevoir) not expected from Hyatt.

This hotel does have a business center, small pool, and fitness center that seems to cater to conventioneers, airline staff, delayed airline passengers, and tour groups. Noise levels on the floors are above normal - voices carry, doors closing are loud and can be heard inside rooms. We had the unfortunate experience to have a youth tour group arrive on our floor about 10:30pm and by 12:45 a.m. they were still loud converstations in the hallway entering into our room. (Just know that you'll need to request to move should you need to have sleep and have this experience.)

Common areas of the hotel were light, airy and clean. There is a concierege at the front lobby, and there is an e-conceierge through the Hyatt website that allows for some limited room requests. Free parking, plenty of restaurants nearby, close to Dulles Airport although you can't hear the planes from inside. Overall, okay experience - nothing all that great.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Norfolk, VA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2010

This property delivered everything I wanted in this stay. Check-in was quick and professionally handled. The desk clerk highlighted the amenities and disclosed the extra charges up front, so there weren’t any surprises at checkout, which was also handled quickly and professionally.

The room was immaculately clean. It was a mini-suite, with a low wall dividing a living area from the bed. The flat screen TV was almost too big for the room. The furnishings were plush. The room was quiet, with no noise coming in from the outside despite the property being at the busy intersection of Route 28 and the Dulles Toll Road, and fronting on the airport. During my stay, the sky was clear enough that I could see the foothills of the Blue Ridge well beyond the airport.

The indoor pool was warm and tended by a lifeguard at all times. It was squared off for exercise, although it was small enough that it only took a couple of kids to disrupt any thought of laps. The whirlpool was in good working condition as well. The exercise room had a full compliment of weight and cardio equipment, also in good working order. The common areas of the property were clean and well tended.

This is a top notch hotel that I happily recommend.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2009

United Airlines messed it up again and was stuck in Washington for the night in my way to Montreal with my 2yrs old son, they sent me to this hotel closed to the airport.

The best thing about this hotel aside from its location is the room. Rooms are very spacious with a living room area and a little counter. My baby was all upside down on his day/night routine with the time difference and it was good to put him on a more isolated section of the room.

The service is ok, the restaurant offers good food as well.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
Lynch Station, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2009

My husband and I stayed here for one night after about 19 hours of flying from Australia, and I was very happy with this hotel that I had carefully chosen. I wanted a room with breakfast included, a shuttle that operated at least until midnight, and the possibility for a late check out. The Hyatt Dulles met these criteria with flying colors. Our flight arrived after 10:30 pm, and we called for the shuttle. It arrived in a few minutes and took us the short distance to the hotel, where check in was quick and easy. Our room was on the Club level, so a full breakfast was included and check out wasn't until 2 pm. We needed some extra sleep to recover from jet lag, and we were going home on Amtrak in the late afternoon, so we didn't want to leave by the usual 10 or 11 am.. I had booked a room that included an "amenity" that I had forgotten about, and we unlocked our door to find a bottle of champagne and chocolate-dipped strawberries, a pleasant surprise. This was an excellent hotel for our purposes. We didn't use the internet or anything else, as we simply needed to sleep and eat, and it was a great choice,

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2009

I really have no freaking clue why so many people put neutral to negative reviews here. I am born and raised a Northern Virginian, who are known to be high-maintenance and materialistic people. And I have to say, this place is fantastic.

My husband and I had our ceremony in the gorgeous little garden/patio! The gazebo is perfection. All of our photos are so beautiful. I literally only had to buy 2 floral arrangements to add to the ceremony (just because I wanted my own flowers there). It didn't need much in addition. Then our guests had cocktail hour in the newly renovated lobby/bar... which everyone raved about. And the reception followed in the grand ballroom. We had 185 guests and we all fit spaciously and drank the night away.

I stayed the first night in the hotel in 2 joined rooms, one with a king bed & pull-out couch & the other with doubles. My bridesmaids had a fabulous stay & enjoyed tons of perks from the bell hops, wedding coordinators & any one else we asked. An Ipod dock was delivered to our room while we got ready. Room service was speedily delivered (which was super yummy). Any time we needed something, i.e. champagne glasses, it was brought within minutes. I was SUCH a chill and relaxed bride... thanks to the amazing service these people provided. Thanks Kathy & Yvonne, again and again.

As for the food... YUMMMMM. I think you're crazy if you didn't enjoy it. My guests were definitely complimenting for weeks to come after the wedding. My husband and I were in 7th heaven when we returned to our RIDICULOUSLY awesome suite at midnight to find champagne, chocolate covered strawberries AND fresh club sandwiches... on the house. Plasma tv and sitting room, dining room... and plasma in the bedroom with huge bathroom ... the king sized bed was SO comfy ... I was breathless. It was so nice! What a beautiful way to end a wonderful weekend with our family/friends... I will ALWAYS recommend this hotel to friends and family.

Although... only thing I could think of that would annoy anyone about this hotel... the constant planes flowing overhead. It's not really even noticeable inside of the hotel... but outside, of course it's annoying. My wedding video has it happening every 5-10 min's during the ceremony lol. But oh well :)

• Stayed July 2007
Also consider these accommodations in or near Herndon
The Westin Washington Dulles Airport
Candlewood Suites Washington, Dulles Herndon
Washington Dulles Airport Marriott
Embassy Suites by Hilton Dulles Airport
Hyatt Place Herndon / Dulles Airport - East
Crowne Plaza Dulles Airport Hotel

Been to Hyatt Regency Dulles? Share your experiences!