“Nice Stay for Overnight at Dulles Intl Airport”

Hyatt Regency Dulles
Ranked #5 of 20 Hotels in Herndon
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed May 8, 2014

This is part of a continuing series of my impressions and experiences staying at various hotels and resorts while traveling to attend concerts worldwide. This stay was during my recent stop over through Dulles Airport on my way from London back to California. This review is for Hyatt Dulles at Dulles International Airport in Herndon, Virginia.

Property: Hyatt Dulles at Dulles International Airport
Location: Herndon, Virginia
Address: 2300 Dulles Corner Boulevard, Herndon, VA 20171
Phone: (888) 882-1234
Website: www.dulles.hyatt.com
Room Type/Class: (Room 1120)
Date: April 1 - April 2, 2014
TripAdvisor Page/Reviews: LINK
Booking Source: Direct (at front desk)
Overall Rating: 4/5 [Note: Score is totally subjective based on price, location, and comparison to "like" properties within same area and price range]

This was not a planned stay - long story short, I had to change my flights coming back from London and instead of direct to San Francisco I had to stop for one night through Dulles International Airport. I jumped on an airport shuttle to the nearby Hilton, as the driver said rooms were available. I got there and was told no rooms were available, so I had to hail a cab and decided to try the nearby Hyatt next.

Pulling up to the hotel, there was a pretty extensive renovation going on at the entrance and walkway leading into the lobby.

As I was checking in around 8 or 9 PM, I was pleasantly surprised that the room cost was reasonable. Also, food and drinks were available in the expansive and classy bar area in the lobby (I was told the restaurant was open, and while it actually wasn't, they had food from the menu available in the bar area, which was large and had a couch with tables too, so maybe it was just as good).

The room itself had a bit more character than the typical hotel room of this class, at least in terms of layout, with a couch/sitting area with coffee table and desk area set off from the bed, with television in the middle, breaking up the room.

Overall, the room was classified as a "Certified PURE room", also known as "allergy friendly".

Also included was a coffee maker with supplies and empty mini fridge.

The view was just a long, flat view of the surrounding area.

Overall, it was a nice stay and offered enough to keep you happy there for an overnight in or out of Dulles without having to leave the property, and was priced well for what it offered. I would stay there again under similar circumstances.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Paul K, Director of Sales at Hyatt Regency Dulles, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel. I am glad we were able to satisfy your needs on short notice, and that you were able to enjoy our service and newly renovated guest rooms. Hopefully we can welcome you back again over different circumstances where you are not so rushed, and can enjoy the area a bit more.

Paul Kimmel
Director of Sales & Marketing
Hyatt Dulles at Dulles International Airport

Write a ReviewReviews (1,248)

Reviewed May 8, 2014

Really good value- Only needed a hotel for one night and needed something in this area. I was pleasantly surprised by the room- very clean comfortable. They have a pricey breakfast buffet but it was very good with great service and worth the $. Staff were helpful and friendly. I didn't have the experience that many of the other customers had and enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 8, 2014

We had a great stay here - we had a annual Knights convention the rooms were great and the staff were fantastic - I would definitely recommend this hotel and would stay again. Thank you all for a wonderful stay.

Reviewed May 7, 2014

Watch out for "extra fees" charged to your credit card. Hyatt adds $50.00 per night for a hold fee. If you want to pay in cash for your stay, you still need to either use a credit card or more cash to give as a hold. Will not return hold for 7-10 days after you check out.

Reviewed May 7, 2014

From greeting at the door to check out, the Hyatt Dulles rates an perfect 10! We were impressed by the cleanliness of the hotel and grounds, the well lighted parking, the spotless rooms, and especially the staff! we compare this stay with stays at larger upscale facilities in Las Vegas, New York, San Francisco

Reviewed May 6, 2014

Most unpleasant hotel experience in the last year, for hotels costing more than $100, including lower priced hotels such as Springhill, Fairfield Inn. Parking was packed all during stay. No luggage carts (or bell staff) were available on arrival or departure. Banquet food was overcooked and tasteless (I asked for a medium rare pork chop and got a very well done pork chop. And chocolate cake was dry like it was two days old). Beds were hard. Bathroom area is not separated so light floods bedroom disturbing person trying to sleep. Staff was indifferent to service issues. Only bright spot was when I couldn't get any coffee at the bar a waiter from the restaurant next door gave me a free cup of coffee.

Review collected in partnership with Hyatt Hotels
Paul K, Director of Sales at Hyatt Regency Dulles, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2014

Bruce, thank you for taking the time to post your review. We appreciate your feedback, and it is being taken very seriously. We have reviewed your concerns as a management team, and we are making strides to rectify them where we are able. Please allow us the opportunity to serve you again, and if there is anything I can do to personally assist you please do hesitate to contact me.

Reviewed May 6, 2014

Beware of the ac vent. The one in my room was located about 4 feet from the floor at the foot of the bed. It loudly and vigorously blew directly on me. I had to turn the thing off. Fortunately, the weather has not yet turned hot and I could do without it. The room decor was over the top masculine with dark brown colors. Rather depressing actually. Mine appears to have been designed for a handicapped person. I am not handicapped and missed little things like drawers to place my belongings. Finally, the bed was not comfortable. Not even an extra blanket.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hyatt Hotels
Also consider these accommodations in or near Herndon
The Westin Washington Dulles Airport
Hilton Washington Dulles Airport
Washington Dulles Airport Marriott
Candlewood Suites Washington, Dulles Herndon
Hyatt Place Herndon / Dulles Airport - East
Sheraton Herndon Dulles Airport Hotel

Been to Hyatt Regency Dulles? Share your experiences!