“Wonderful, luxurious hotel. Better for adults.” 4 of 5 stars

Up to 15% off
Ranked #6 of 20 Hotels in Herndon
GreenLeadersBronze level
Cleveland, Ohio
“Wonderful, luxurious hotel. Better for adults.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2011

I stayed at the Hyatt Dulles in June 2011 with my family. The hotel is beautiful, clean and luxurious. Everyone who worked there was very friendly and helpful. The front desk allowed us to check in early. There is a free airport shuttle that runs every half-hour.

The lobby was clean, modern and stylish. There is a bar and restaurant right in the center of the lobby. It also had a fish pond!

The room we had was breathtaking. Two very comfortable beds with down comforters and fluffy pillows. There was a large flat-screen TV, which was nice in that you could rotate it to face the beds or the living area. It had a couch, a chair, a coffee table, plus an office table and chair.

There was a good supply of towels, soap, shampoo, lotion and even toothpaste! The shower had great water pressure; my husband raved about it our whole stay.

Cons: While I thought this was a great hotel for business travelers, I don't know if I'd recommend it for families with young children. The flat-screen TV wasn't digital. We had to struggle with staticky reception for most of the channels. We couldn't even find cartoons or kids' programming for our children to watch. There might have been pay-channels for kids, but I wasn't interested in that.

Also, no free wi-fi. This was very disappointing as our kids couldn't use their iPod or Nintendo DS during our stay. Even small, low-budget hotels offer free wi-fi nowadays! The Hyatt does offer wi-fi, but at $13 each day, and that is for each device; no sharing.

The pool was nice and simple. No slides or fountains, but it did have a lifeguard on duty. The hours the pool is open were limited to the early morning, and then again after 5pm. There was also a nice fitness room.

Also, good to keep in mind was that while the room had a nice coffee machine, it had no fridge or microwave. (Also, no complimentary breakfast that many hotels offer)

All in all, it was a great stay. I'd highly recommend it, but advise those with younger kids to be prepared.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
  • Turkish first
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2011

I came to the Hyatt for a business trip and had a very pleasant stay. The hotel shuttle picked me up at the airport and check-in was a breeze. The hotel lobby is very nice and lounge-y. I arrived late to the hotel and very hungry so I ate in the hotel restaurant and had exceptional service...they went above and beyond to serve me a nice meal and they even made me a special desert because I couldn't decide on what to have! Definitely try the lobster bisque and crab cakes...phenomenal!!!! The breakfast bar was consistently good and had many options...once again, good service. The hotel shuttles go to several of the larger businesses in the area and even though my company wasn't on the regular route one of the drivers went out of his way to take me to my company's building. The hotel bed was pretty comfy with a good choice of pillows for any sleeping style.

I can only think of two negatives for this hotel and they are:
1. My room seemed to be a bit abused
2. The hotel provided bath products were terrible...very drying and the scent was nauseating (ginger something or other)...several of my colleagues felt the same as I did.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
College Park, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2011

I stayed at this hotel because my flight got cancelled and the airline gave me a voucher to spend a night there.
Overall the hotel is nice, rooms are comfortable and clean. This is what I think is important in a hotel.
Unfortunately, there were a couple of things that really annoyed me.

I got in very late at night, after waiting in a long line at the airport to get the voucher from the airline (BTW Virgin America, don't fly with them, they are losers!).
As you can imagine I was very tired.
After checking-in, I headed for my room and, to my surprise, I couldn't open the door with the magnetic card.
I went back to the reception desk to inform the staff about the fact and, after apologizing, they gave me another card; again I was not able to open the door!
Frustrated, I went back to the reception desk and the staff decided to find out what was wrong with the room.
They called a person from the technical staff who tried to open the door multiple times, with no success, until a voice from inside the room yelled: "THE ROOM IS OCCUPIED!"
You can imagine my surprise and the receptionist surprise!

The second thing that bothered me is definitely less funny.
When I got in, the receptionist asked me to give her my credit card "for incidental".
Since I had a voucher from the airline I asked whether my card would be charged and she said it wouldn't.
Few days later I realized my credit card had been indeed charged.
Puzzled with that, I immediately called the hotel.
They first denied they had charged my card, but my checking account was clear, so they had to admit that.
They claimed that they had put an hold on my card as a security deposit but they had already released the hold and that my bank had not updated the situation.
However, on my checking account that sum of money appeared as "confirmed", which only happens when the payment is final, that is why I was alarmed.
Few days later, I got my money back, so everything was fine eventually.
However, I received a bad impression from this accident.
If the policy of the hotel is to charge one's credit card even one has a voucher from an airline, I'm fine with that.
But it would be great to be correctly informed, otherwise one may think that something fishy is going on.
Overall I would recommend the hotel, but I would also suggest the people who work there to be more precise and clear.

• Stayed March 2011
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
HyattDulles, Director of Sales at Hyatt Regency Dulles, responded to this review, April 8, 2011
Dear Gianlu8080 ,

Thank you very much for the feedback that you recently provided to us. I aplogize that our service did not live up to your expectations. We always strive to ensure our guests receive the best possible service while staying with us. We have researched the challenges that you encountered during your check-in and addressed the problem so it will not happen again.

I can understand how frustrating it was to see a charge on your credit card. We do collect an authorization on credit cards and debit cards from all guests when they check-in to our hotel. This is to cover any incidentals costs that you may incur while staying with us. It is just a hold and if no purchases are made than the hold is released within 48 hours of checking-out from the hotel. We should have done a better job at explaining this to you when you checked-in.

Please be assured we will use all the feedback you provided to better train our staff and provide the best service to our guests.

Melanie Walent, Director of Sales
Fairfax, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2011

We always have a great time doing "mattress runs" (a trip with the sole purpose of getting hotel points or taking advantage of a promotion) at this property. The check-in agents are very friendly and the hotel has very nice lobby with shuttle service to IAD (about a five minute ride). The rooms are spacious, have comfy Grand Hyatt beds, and portico toiletries. The flat screen TV in the room is equipped with all of the necessary connections to hook your computer up to the TV (you supply the cables).

Once we were upgraded and our room had a jacuzzi tub with moodlighting. That was a pleasant surprise! If you book the AAA member rate, a breakfast buffet is included for two. Each time we've stayed at this property, they do get pretty full but always deliver. One time when we checked in the agent offered us a room to "freshen-up" since our room wasn't ready, which was a very nice gesture. The agent was also surprised that we only had a small bag; but we didn't pack heavy considering that we only live 15 minutes away.

We've mostly had great experience with this property, the only problem we had on one occasion was parking. There was a very large group who had about five or six charter buses which parked overnight in the guest parking area taking up a majority of the lot. We had search around for parking along the hotel and take a long walk to the lobby.

Definitely a wonderful property!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2011

Normally, I turn the other cheek over little things like the giant carpet stain in the middle of the room, or the fact that I have to swipe my hotel key 3x to unlock the door, or the fact that the elevator display doesn't show you what floor it is on (always says you are in the lobby). These are minor things that happen over time, deferred maintenance, etc. I get it.

BUT the fact that I had to pay $14/day for wifi in my room, and then had to pay AGAIN to get wifi in the lobby area -- that really ticked me off. I'm used to hotels offering free wifi in the lobby -- I've never had a hotel double-dip by making me pay for wifi in the conference room IN ADDITION to what I paid for wifi in my room. When I asked about this, an employee told me that because they were on two separate servers, Hyatt HAD to charge me twice...

Another thing to know when booking is that there is NOTHING within walking distance of this hotel. So if you want something to eat and don't care to eat in the restaurant all week, you will need to befriend someone with a rental car.

The short of it is that the Hyatt knows they have a captive audience of business travellers, and takes maximum advantage of that situation.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
HyattDulles, Director of Sales at Hyatt Regency Dulles, responded to this review, March 31, 2011
First off, we would like to apologize for the recent stay you experienced at our hotel. We were extremely disappointed to learn about all of the challenges that you encountered while staying with us at the Hyatt Dulles. We should have noticed the items you mentioned before you arrived at the hotel. We have taken steps and serviced the items that you noted from the stain on the guest room carpet and the door lock. The elevator has also been checked and is now in proper working order.

Regarding the internet, we charge $9.99/ day for internet in our guest rooms. The same internet service that you purchased in your guest room works in the lobby, our bar area and our restaurant area. We provide complimentary internet access in our business center that is located in our Executive Meeting Center, as well as copying and other business services.

We realize the challenges our location can sometimes impose if you want to get out and enjoy the area. We run shuttle service to the Reston Town Center in the evening so our guests can get out ot the hotel and enjoy some of the local restaurants.

Thank you for bringing all of these items to our attention. Please know we have used your feedback to improve our hotel and we hope that you will stay with us in the future.
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2011

We booked the Hyatt on Priceline because we needed a hotel until our connecting flight the next day. We also stayed overnight on the return from our vacation ,and were very pleased with both stays.

The weather was bad the day we arrived at Dulles, and many airline passengers were sent to the Hyatt because their flights were cancelled. We waited over an hour in the snow for the shuttle, and finally gave up and took a cab to the hotel.

Check in was efficient and we were quite surprised at how nice the hotel and rooms were. Hotel has been recently renovated, and it shows. The room was very large with a separate sitting area. The beds were very, very comfortable and the room was immaculate. The pictures on their webpage are very accurate.

We had dinner downstairs in the Lobby Bar, and our daughter loved the watching the fish. This is a very nice area to relax after a long flight and have a drink. The service was great there and the crab cake sandwich is absolutely delicious.

We were very, very pleased with our stay at the Hyatt and absolutely would stay again the next time we are in the area.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank gracie-boo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2011

The Hyatt Dulles is the biggest secret in the airport area. Surrounded by limited service hotels, it's great to stay at a full service hotel. Lobby, restaurant, bar and new meeting space are the best by far in the area. Outstanding price value versus those little hotels that surround the airport. I'm hooked

• Stayed March 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars
Also consider these accommodations in or near Herndon
The Westin Washington Dulles Airport
Candlewood Suites Washington, Dulles Herndon
Washington Dulles Airport Marriott
Sheraton Herndon Dulles Airport Hotel
Hyatt Place Herndon / Dulles Airport - East
Embassy Suites by Hilton Dulles Airport

Been to Hyatt Regency Dulles? Share your experiences!