“Great Hotel”

Hyatt House Herndon
Ranked #8 of 20 Hotels in Herndon
Reviewed January 12, 2009

Booked a weekend AAA rate for a great rate. My one bedroom suite was spotless, consisting of 2 flat screen TV's with many cable stations (one in the bedroom and one in the living area) and full kithcen appliances. They sell some frozen dinners in the lobby if you don't want to go out. There is a free hot breakfast in the morning, nothing to wriite home about, but edible.

The location is close to Dulles, with many shopping and dining options in the area.

I was very comfortable and would recommend the Hyatt Summerfield over other and for the most, more costly hotels in the area.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled solo

Reviewed November 25, 2008

We stayed for two nights in November, the first and last nights of our week long trip to DC. We were really impressed. The two bedroom suite was large and the weekend rate was very reasonable. The kids wanted to stay longer. What impressed me most was their service. We were in a hurry to get to Dulles, and in the confusion my wedding ring had dropped off of the sink onto the floor and I left without it by mistake. I called and Julio found the ring and sent it to me. I really appreciated Julio's prompt help.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed September 6, 2008

I booked this online, so after selecting a King Size non-smoking I figured that is what I would get. However I arrived at the hotel at 9pm to be told that they had no non-smoking left and hence no more rooms. It was late and there was nothing more they could do. It turns out there was some very small print about rooms type are not guaranteed buried within the reservation details. So if they can't guarantee room type, why am I selecting a King over a Queen and non-smoking versus smoking ! Unfortunately I had to stay in a smoking room ! I suspect this is a ploy (adding the small disclaimer about rooms are not guaranteed) that they use to fill up the smoking rooms that otherwise would never get filled !
I complained to Expedia via phone, but they were not helpful choosing to ignore the issue. Also note that the 'reputable' travel site that I booked it through would not post this review after several reviews, so now I post it here...

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank miar70
Reviewed August 22, 2008

We highly recommend this location; you will not be disappointed.All the comfort of home from the top class bed linen to the top quality towels, to the large size of the suite, kitchen even had a grater and mixing bowl. Three flat screen TV, Tastefully decorated with a beautiful color scheme.Bed linen must have been a 400 thread count because they were sooo soft. Did I mention the beautiful fireplace? With less than a week before our vacation, we found a $79 per night rate for a 2 room suite on travelocity. We thought it must be a mistake and went directly to the hotel website, Sure enough, we were able to get three nights at $79 (FRI-SUN)and other weeknights cost $189. Our 15 year wanted to stay behind and not do the DC tourist stuff because hotel has a basketball court. We were shocked that housekeeping even ran the dishwasher every day for us. Room is set up for business or leisure with easy access to connect your lap top and run a presentation on the large flat screen TV. Breakfast is real breakfast not continental with lots of hot food and a wide choice. Social hour has a salad bar, soup, a wide cheese selection, soup, wine, and lots of other selection. There is a GIANT supermarket (that's the name of the supermarket) close by and we were able to save on dinner a couple nights because we purchased items from the deli. The hotel even has a free service where you can order items from the supermarket and have it delivered. Our family has changed our loyalty from the Embassy suites to Hyatt because we had such good service. Staff not particularly friendly (not the smiling faces I am used to at Disney) but they are extremely helpful and will even print out directions for you. If there is anything we have to complain about is that the pool closed at 8 p.m. each night and after a full day in the DC area doing tourist stuff or a full day of doing presentations, it would have been nice to stay in the pool later. Also, the toilet flushes like those on an air plane...you feel like you will be sucked down to sea because the flush is loud. On a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being clearly outstanding, this property has scored a 10 by our family of 4. Kudos to the management team and staff!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed August 4, 2008

We stayed at our first Hyatt Summerfield Suites Fourth of July weekend 2008 in Mount Laurel, NJ. Our stay at that particular hotel left a lot to be desired and had us ready to switch to Marriott's Residence Inn or Springhill Suites but the Hyatt Summerfield Suites in Herndon, VA restored our faith. The difference between the two properties was like night and day.

Upon arriving at the property, we were promptly checked in. We prepaid for 2 rooms (one 2-bdrm and one 1-bdrm) in advance at only $79 and $59 each night on a Friday and Saturday - A bargain for these rooms considering we paid $203.50 per night just 4 weeks ago at the one in NJ.

The two bdrm had all the amenities of home: a full kitchen with oven, full refrigerator/freezer with ice maker, microwave, dishwasher, living room with fireplace and 42" plasma TV. Add to that two full bedrooms and two separate baths, it was home away from home. The one-bedroom did not have an oven or a fireplace but it was spacious nonetheless. There were plenty of towels (enough for 4 extra people).

The kitchen was fully stocked with a full set of stainless steel dishes - pot, frying pan, saucepan, etc., a glass casserole dish, large strainer, grater, full set of cooking utensils, pitcher in fridge, complete sets of glassware, eating utensils and dinnerware. It even had Palmolive dishwashing detergent for hand washing dishes and tablets for the dishwasher. It was nothing like the scarce kitchen furnishings we found during our stay in NJ.

The breakfast itself was OK. But it was the constant service that impressed me. The 3 or 4 staff members overseeing breakfast were constantly checking to make sure there was plenty of everything. The coffee canisters were constantly being shaken to see if more was needed. The waffle batter, eggs, corned beef hash (not a fan of the eggs or the hash), toast, etc. were constantly rotated. On Saturday they switched it up and had sausage instead of corned beef hash (to my relief) and fresh french toast, yogurt, and the same eggs with cheese. Fresh OJ, regular and soy milk, dry cereal, oatmeal, etc. There was something for everyone but it was the service that was phenomenal! My family is already talking about booking this property again.

There was also a full fenced pool with Lifeguard on duty from 11am-8pm (a rarety), two brand new gas grills that were kept covered while not in use. A lovely picnic area with roughly 10-12 tables with comfortable chairs. It was very serene sitting in this area in the evening. This was definitely a wonderful stay.

The only negative is that the there was a slight mix-up when we asked at check-in to upgrade the 1-bdrm to a 2-bdrm (it was only $20 more) as we were expecting 2 more in our party. We were told to come back the following morning, as it would make it easier. When we did there were no rooms available (sold out). The other two people in our party had to book a room at the nearby Hampton Inn. It would have been nice to have everyone together but at a rate of $79/nt, we could understand why they were sold out. However, we just wish the front desk staff had alerted us that the room inventory was low when we checked in so that we could insist on paying for the upgrade then.

Stayed: August 2008
Reviewed July 27, 2008

Stayed here with my SO this past weekend. Not sure how I got it, but got this room for a steal at $69/night - we stayed Friday and Saturday nights.

I had booked a smoking room, when I got to my room on the second floor it was NOT smoking. I called the front desk and all the smoking rooms were booked - there are only 2 in the entire place. So the front desk clerk offered to put me in a comparable room on the first floor near an exit door so we could go outside to smoke. Because of the mix-up, he upgraded me to a 2 bedroom unit near an exit door for free.

The front desk clerk was as nice as could be, and the 2bedroom/2bath suite is exactly as described in a prior review. All new, all renovated, full kitchen, large flat panel HDTV's. Was especially nice when we got back from a long day of riding and didn't have to take turns using the shower.

The first room was nice, the second even nicer. We could survive going outside to smoke. We didn't get to try the breakfast Saturday morning as we were up and out by 6:30am (breakfast started at 7am), but my SO did have eggs and sausage and juice on Sunday morning at the free breakfast.

All in all a fantastic deal. Wanted to book again for another visit, but rate is $169/night - maybe I got the really low one because it was fairly last minute.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 19, 2008

Stayed in the 2 bedroom suite for six days and it was a pleasure from beginning to end. The suite was very clean, full kitchen, comfortable queen beds in each bedroom, 37" flat panel tv in living room and 32" flat panels in each bedroom, remote control fire place, and windows that open. It seems harder and harder to find rooms where the windows aren't nailed shut. The hotel staff is exceedingly friendly and helpful. Breakfast, dinner (weekdays), and happy hour Miller Lite (weekdays) are nice perks. The hotel is five minutes from Dulles International Airport. Hernadon is relatively close to many tourist areas. Baltimore is an hour away and DC is about thirty minutes. I enjoyed the towns of Alexandria and Annapolis very much for dining and pub hopping. Nearby Reston has excellent dining options too.

Stayed: May 2008
Also consider these accommodations in or near Herndon
Hampton Inn & Suites Herndon-Reston
Hyatt Regency Reston
SpringHill Suites Herndon Reston
Candlewood Suites Washington, Dulles Herndon
Hyatt Place Herndon / Dulles Airport - East
Residence Inn Herndon Reston

Been to Hyatt House Herndon? Share your experiences!