“Our 2nd return in 6 months - We'd recommend to anyone”

Washington Dulles Marriott Suites
Ranked #7 of 20 Hotels in Herndon
San Diego, CA
“Our 2nd return in 6 months - We'd recommend to anyone”
Reviewed September 4, 2006

This hotel is extremely convenient to stay at when flying into or out of Dulles Airport. Our second return to this hotel was on September 1, 2006 (our first stay was in Feb. 2006). We arrived on 9/1/06 just as tropical storm "Ernesto" was blasting its way through Northern Virginia. After quickly checking in to our 10th floor room, we found solace at the hotel lobby bar where Nathan (originally from St. Lucia) served us a fantastic meal. The food and drinks were exceptional - it never occurred to us that we were eating "hotel" food. The suites are roomy and comfortable and the beds are to die for. We also enjoyed the free parking and a late checkout. Kudos to the front desk staff (especially Eric) who provided us directions, movies suggestions and confirmation of a package we shipped ahead of our arrival.

The hotel is located at one end of the Worldgate Mall (which has movie theatres, multiple restaurants, Kinkos, and the Worldgate gym - Marriott guests enjoy free access to the gym during their stay).

I would not hesitate to book this hotel again when we return to the area.

• Liked — Convenience to and from Dulles Airport
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank PLHag

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Korean first
Bowling Green, Ohio
Reviewed July 9, 2006

If you are staying in the DC area and have a car, this is a very nice place. The rooms are truly great--clean, roomy, confortable. As a suite, they have a sitting room with a sleeper sofa, refrigerator, sink, as well as a nice desk. The bed and bath are quite comfortable.

The swimming pool is large and well maintained, with both indoor and outdoor segments. Surprisingly, there was a lifeguard on duty each time I was there, despite the fact that there were few people in the pool.

You will need a car if you stay here, unless you are just in transit through Dulles. There is an airport shuttle but no other transportation. The hotel is far from the Metro and I didn't see any buses. (I didn't ask about this since I had a car.)

All of the public areas are spotless. This is a very well run hotel. I'd gladly stay here again if in the area.

• Stayed July 2006
1 Thank OhioRon
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 6, 2006

Stayed at the Marriott Suites in April 2006 before a dayflight to London. Having stayed at the Hyatt Regency the previous month and thoroughly enjoyed my stay I was little apprehensive about the Marriott Suites although the price was too good to pass up, and being a Marriott Silver member pushed me over the edge.

The hotel itself is situated very close to the Dulles toll-road in a small mall area. This included a couple of restaurants including a good Japanese place, Subway, Kinkos, Qdoba, Cold Stone Creamery and other strip mall usual suspects along with a movie theatre. very handy if you can't be bothered to drive to get something to eat.

The room itself was quite large and surprisingly well furnished for the price paid. Certainly a good option for those looking or somewhere reasonable yet nicely furnished to stay close to the airport.

• Stayed March 2006
2 Thank OP2002
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed March 14, 2006

Very nice rooms, free shuttle, but not the best choice for elite MR members.

GOOD
-The “suites” layout of the rooms is very nice and large. The rooms are also very modern and appear to be recently renovated. Comfortable bedding.
-Free shuttle to/from IAD airport. There is a shuttle that drops off to the regular Marriott property first (5 minute ride) and this property second (10 minute ride).
-Great location for food options. While I didn’t use them, I probably noted 5-7 restaurants within walking distance of this hotel, as well as some shopping and a Starbucks.
-Free breakfast was given for GOLD Marriott Rewards member (caveat to this below though).
-Some great weekend rates. I believe I got a rate of $79 that came with $50 of bonus bucks (cash for use at a future Marriott stay).

BAD
-Almost all the bad are restricted to elite Marriott Rewards member issues, so if it isn’t you, then this is a great hotel. Otherwise, read below…..
-Elite MR: There is no executive lounge nor appear to be any “upgradeable” rooms. You would get these privileges at the other nearby regular Marriott.
-Elite MR: No mention was made of free breakfast when I checked-in, so in the morning I inquired at the restaurant and was told that I could get whatever I wanted and they would remove it from the bill. So, we ate off the full breakfast buffet (eggs, waffles, etc.). Upon check-out, I was charged $14.00 for breakfast and was told that I was only entitled to a continental buffet with my MR membership, so they charged me the difference. I was in a hurry, so I didn’t place an argument, but it was very shady dealings.

• Stayed February 2006
4 Thank usflyer
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 20, 2005

The Marriott Suites is a wonderful hotel. The staff were very accomodating. The room large and beautifully decorated. Also, very, very clean. We ordered room service and were told it would be there in 40 minutes. It arrived within 20! Ample parking both outside and in the garage. Great location! Wish we could have stayed longer!

• Stayed December 2005
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 1, 2005

Rooms are nice. Beds are very comfortable. Adults can shut the bedroom door and seperate themselves from kids. Very convienient to walk to a small shopping center for food and other items. Hotel is well maintained.

• Stayed June 2005
3 Thank Thetripcolony
Raleigh, NC
Reviewed May 1, 2005

I have stayed twice at the Dulles Marriott Suites this year. I normally stay closer to the Beltway and DC, but I needed the extra space this year. Both trips were weekend trips, so driving down the toll road to Tyson's Corner and DC was not bad. I would not want to make this trip during the week during rush hour.

I would not even attempt to eat breakfast downstairs in the lobby. During my first visit, my order was never even placed into the kitchen! On the second visit (I guess I did not learn the first time), the order took forever and I guess that asking for a fork and knife creates a big problem. I will stay at the Dulles Marriott Suites again, but I will not eat breakfast there.

My rate was $99/night, but I used my $100 Bonus Bucks coupon during both stays.

• Stayed February 2005
1 Thank NCtoDC
Also consider these accommodations in or near Herndon
Embassy Suites by Hilton Dulles Airport
Crowne Plaza Dulles Airport Hotel
Candlewood Suites Washington, Dulles Herndon
The Westin Washington Dulles Airport
Hyatt Regency Dulles
Hyatt Regency Dulles
#5 of 20 in Herndon
Washington Dulles Airport Marriott

Been to Washington Dulles Marriott Suites? Share your experiences!