“Okay, but we had a few hiccups - Friendly Staff” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Member Rates
Ranked #7 of 20 Hotels in Herndon
Naples, Italy
“Okay, but we had a few hiccups - Friendly Staff”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

Our family had a 12-hour lay-over at Dulles so we decided to get a room where we could get some sleep after a 5-hr red-eye. We called the hotel the day before and asked about a day-rate; the front desk said it would be cheaper if we booked a regular room and then requested a late check-out (our flight arrived at 6am and our connecting flight departed at 6pm). So, we made a reservation online. Because we are a large family, I paid the extra $10 per night to have two double beds vice the one king bed. Also, I am a platinum member so I expected free breakfast (when I called, the front desk confirmed that breakfast was free for me and one other guest); so I booked the room rate that included free breakfast for all my kids under 12 yrs old (this was $10 more than just the room rate).

When we arrived at Dulles in the morning, we had to wait at the airport for about 30 minutes for the courtesy shuttle to arrive (I can't fault them for the long wait - that's just how the timing worked out (their shuttle leaves the hotel on the hour and on the half-hour)).

Upon arriving at the hotel, check-in was quick and easy and they granted us a late check-out (3pm). Also, since we had just taken a red-eye and were all tired, we were pleased to find out that breakfast that day (Sunday) went until 1pm (that would give us time to sleep before eating).

We piled in the elevator and headed up to the tenth floor to our room. When we got inside, we found that we had been given a room with only 1 king bed. I promptly called the front desk and explained the situation. The receptionist said she would find another room and have a new key sent up. About 5 minutes later, a knock at the door - and we were heading down to the seventh floor to our new room. Success - 2 beds in this room ... but the beds were unmade, and there was trash scattered about the room. This time we went down to the lobby. The receptionist was friendly and apologetic. I told her that we would eat while they got us a new room.

Breakfast was good – biscuits and gravy, waffles, pancakes and eggs made to order, French toast, breads, cereals, fruits, sausage and bacon. We had picky pallets among our several kids – we didn’t have any trouble finding something for each of them to enjoy.

During breakfast, the hotel manager came over to us and told us that she had heard of our problem. She told us that breakfast was on the house; she also told us that she had gotten us a new room and she had personally checked it out to make sure it was ready. She then explained that she would adjust our room rate for the cheapest room rate for that night (which was the rate for the 1-bed room without free breakfast (saving us about $20)). -- A very nice gesture which we greatly appreciated.

The new room was great - and we quickly all sacked out.

When we awoke, I took the kids down the pool. Unfortunately, another disappointment. The outdoor pool was closed - no problem since it was chilly outside and they still had the indoor pool and a hot tub. When we started heading towards the hot tub, the pool attendant informed us that it was broken; my kids confirmed that the water was ice cold. So, we went straight to the regular pool - not as cold as the hot tub, but nowhere warm enough for us to enjoy. We dipped our toes for a few minutes and then decided we had had enough and left disappointed. Also, the pool area appeared to be in disarray - there was some nice pool furniture but all of the cushions and pillows were out of place, I saw old Band-Aids on the floor, and the room just had a dirty/disorganized feel to it. I couldn’t help but notice that the lifeguard/pool attendant just sat there on his phone – why doesn’t he take 5 minutes and straighten the room up, I thought.

On a plus side - the hotel is located adjacent to several eateries. We ordered a late lunch from one the restaurants and ate it in our room before checking out (again, quick and easy). The shuttle was waiting for us and we headed off to the airport.

A few other notes:
- internet was fast and free (it may have been free because I was platinum but I'm not sure)
- the hotel staff was friendly; despite the hiccups during our stay, they were very helpful and attentive
- there was no hair dryer in our room; we called the front desk and they had one brought up
- there was also no coffee pot; we are not coffee drinkers but I couldn't help but notice the empty-looking coffee maker
- the hotel binder (you know the one that has the hotel info in it (i.e. TV channels, restaurant times, taxi numbers, laundry location, ice machine info, etc etc) - it was missing about 75% of the pages. (I realize I'm starting to nit-pick here ... but too many straws will eventually break the camel's back)

I can't say for certain that I won't be back to this hotel ... but I think that I will try another Marriott in the Dulles/Herndon area before I come back here.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank clovebs

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
  • Korean first
Kansas City, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

Overall, this was a great stay. There are definitely more pros than cons. Guests were primarily business travelers who seemed to be regulars and really happy with the staff and property. My only issue was the lack of a reliable taxi service (see below).

Pros

Spacious rooms.

Great full service hot breakfast buffet (free for Gold and Platinum) but also under $17 with tax which is reasonable.

Nice gym

Airport shuttle runs every 30 min and on time

Friendly staff

Connected to a small shopping strip with several restaurants: bar and grill, ice cream, Mediterranean, Thai, Japanese steak house, sub shop. These are not 5 star restaurants but very convenient and covered walkway which was great during the rain. And there is a movie theater.

Cons

No microwave. Since this is a suite, I was expecting refrigerator and microwave.
The only issue is if you need a taxi. One day they were 30 minutes late and the next day a no show. The hotel had to take me (so great customer service). There is an independent car service that is actually reasonable. But there is only one driver so make your reservations in advance.

I found out from the taxi driver that this is the reason the cabs don’t come to the hotel. There is a bit of a ”war” per the driver who picked me up (with no issue) at a hotel that I was attending a conference at. The drivers (there is really only one taxi provider in the area) will not answer calls when the hotel location is given.

Room Tip: Not much of a view from any location. 714 faces main road and is right across from ice and near ele...
1 Thank tfishcole
Austin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

I am sad to say that after 8 years of staying at this hotel I am just plain done with them. As a platinum member I feel mistreated at this hotel. I am absolutely never put on a an executive level which really doesn't mean much other than they give you newspaper and a couple of bottles of water in the room. So each time I request water when I check in and each time I ask that since I am a platinum member I would appreciate if they would put water in my room so that when I return from work at 10 pm I have a cold bottle of water in mini fridge. They always assure me that they will and of course they don't. It's actually rather absurd that they can't figure this out. Since I am loyal to the Marriott brand I always stay here. From this trip forward I will be staying at the Hyatt. I would rather stay where I have no status and therefore no expectations than be continually disappointed. The management of this hotel is pathetic. If you stay here, don't expect anything and you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
2 Thank Gralda
Purcellville, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

Nice room, but you have to pay extra for internet in your room and there's no coffee in the lobby on weekends.

The room was very clean and quiet. The staff was pleasant and helpful. And there is a Starbucks near by. Maybe I'm asking too much, but internet and coffee are a necessity anymore.

Philly
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

Enjoyed my stay here. Then again, I usually enjoy Marriott Suites because it combines the look and feel of a Marriott with a bit more room.

Found the property to be clean and well kept. It was also very quiet – as if I was one of only a few people on the floor (maybe I was?).

Room was very comfortable. Bed was great. Nice sitting area. Awesome TV in sitting area.

Parking is free.

Attached to a small mall with movie theaters and Starbucks.

The friendly woman that checked me in honored every request I made regarding the room.

It does not have a full service kitchen like a Residence Inn but it does have a fridge, microwave, and small sink.

I would definitely return.

Room Tip: Requested a high room on the front side of the property and found it to be very quiet.
Virginia Beach, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

This hotel is all suites and very close to Dulles airport. It 24 hour room service, bar and a restaurant and is connected to an outdoor plaza with several restaurants (including a Starbucks).
I did not eat at the hotel so I can't comment on the food.
You will see many pilots and airline staff departing from this hotel and I did see a shuttle to the airport.

Room Tip: All the rooms are suites and are large with a small kitchen, sitting room, large bedroom 2 TV's...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Virginia Beach, VA, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

Had a nice room with comfortable beds, good shower. Ate dinner in the bar - it was very noisy the night we departed, but very quiet on our return. Happy hour drinks are 1/2 price. Had an excellent ceasar salad, chicken ceasar salad and turkey club. Breakfast in the dining room is pricey, but good pancakes, feta, spinach and mushroom omelet (big enough for two), hashbrowns and toast. Good service and open until 11 AM. Free shuttle and can leave car for free (probably covers cost of room vs. airport parking).. We were allowed late checkout @ 2:30 so relaxed in our room instead of too much time at the airport.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
Also consider these accommodations in or near Herndon
Hyatt Regency Dulles
Crowne Plaza Dulles Airport Hotel
Embassy Suites by Hilton Dulles Airport
The Westin Washington Dulles Airport
Washington Dulles Airport Marriott

Been to Washington Dulles Marriott Suites? Share your experiences!